Usul's Grow 2.1: Red Cherry Berry, Indoor 250W MH/HPS, 2'x2' ScrOG in soil

Looks like a little foxtailing, which usually happens at the top, but plants do weird things.

At first glance, they sure look a lot like balls, but if pistils sprout from them, they're calyxes.

That's my 2c, anyway.

Even though the bud tastes good now, I'd go with option #2.

#1 is OK too, but you've got nothing to lose by going with #2, and you might improve the taste even more.

Nice buds and nice pics!

Thanks SS - whatever those things are there are many more appearing - on just this one bud. I've been doing a bit of research and found info indicating a female plant may try to produce male flowers near the end of the flowering period. And it's not a problem. Little or no pollen is produced and what's there has low potency. Even if pollenation does occur there's no time to grow seeds before harvest. So, more than anything, this is just an interesting show.

Responses to my flushing question are unanimous - Betty and Pebbles got a big flush three days ago with pHed water. Wilma will get her flush tonight.

That's not a banana at 11:00 o'clock (from your circle), is it?

Might be - more than likely it's just more of the same stuff in the circle. I'll post an updated shot soon so we can all watch the show.

The pics are really juicy. I love the color of those buds, and the tris are everywhere.

I like option 2 as well, for all the reasons listed.

:slide::grinjoint:

Thank you Papa. I was just looking at one of the buds I clipped recently - it's dry now and when I look at it under a halogen lamp it sparkles like it was covered with diamonds.

Those look like some nicely swelling buds. You must be pumped :)

Thanks Ultra - I *am* pumped. Just a few days away from my first ever real live marijuana harvest. I'm going to get some champagne for the harvest party.

Looks like bananas to me....herme IMO.

^^
My thoughts also! but if pistils are emerging everything should be good

Other than that, I would go with option 2 and give your girls a flush now...

Looks suspiciously like nuts...too late to worry now either way tho eh? You'll enjoy this harvest no matter what!!

Yep, I may indeed have some sort of hermie here - but she, ...err... it... uhh, whatever... is producing some great bud. Big solid nugs. Pretty sure I mentioned three or four weeks ago I saw some balls on this plant and plucked them off. No other male signs have been seen until now. What I learn from this is that close inspection of the plants in the first few weeks of flowering can spot potential problems that can be nipped in the bud.

The plants keep suprising me - it now looks like Pebbles will finish first. Betty is developing a few new calyxs and pistils. Trichs are approaching 50% cloudy on both so I'm still thinking early harvest will be next Wednesday for Pebbles and a few days later for Betty.

Wilma will keep on going as long as I can push her - more than 50% amber I hope. She's been drying more quickly now (going hermie must be thirsty work) so if trich development is slow she may get another flush before harvest. Humidifiers are now offline and temp difference between day and night is 15F.

Finally, an abbreviated smoke report. It is remarkable how much the taste changes within just 3 or 4 days. Makes me happy I've been sampling as we go along. The smell and taste have now become incredibly sweet and the effect is very motivational. I must make sure I have a big project to work on before smoking or I end up walking in circles! Sorry for writing so much. Now you know why. This is exactly the sort of effect I was hoping for - it's the medicine I'll use while I'm working and the result should be spectacular. Here's hoping Late Harvest Wilma's buds bring on an equally exceptional case of couch lock.

Thanks SS - whatever those things are there are many more appearing - on just this one bud. I've been doing a bit of research and found info indicating a female plant may try to produce male flowers near the end of the flowering period. And it's not a problem. Little or no pollen is produced and what's there has low potency. Even if pollenation does occur there's no time to grow seeds before harvest. So, more than anything, this is just an interesting show.

Responses to my flushing question are unanimous - Betty and Pebbles got a big flush three days ago with pHed water. Wilma will get her flush tonight.

Might be - more than likely it's just more of the same stuff in the circle. I'll post an updated shot soon so we can all watch the show.

Thank you Papa. I was just looking at one of the buds I clipped recently - it's dry now and when I look at it under a halogen lamp it sparkles like it was covered with diamonds.

Thanks Ultra - I *am* pumped. Just a few days away from my first ever real live marijuana harvest. I'm going to get some champagne for the harvest party.

Yep, I may indeed have some sort of hermie here - but she, ...err... it... uhh, whatever... is producing some great bud. Big solid nugs. Pretty sure I mentioned three or four weeks ago I saw some balls on this plant and plucked them off. No other male signs have been seen until now. What I learn from this is that close inspection of the plants in the first few weeks of flowering can spot potential problems that can be nipped in the bud.

The plants keep suprising me - it now looks like Pebbles will finish first. Betty is developing a few new calyxs and pistils. Trichs are approaching 50% cloudy on both so I'm still thinking early harvest will be next Wednesday for Pebbles and a few days later for Betty.

Wilma will keep on going as long as I can push her - more than 50% amber I hope. She's been drying more quickly now (going hermie must be thirsty work) so if trich development is slow she may get another flush before harvest. Humidifiers are now offline and temp difference between day and night is 15F.

Finally, an abbreviated smoke report. It is remarkable how much the taste changes within just 3 or 4 days. Makes me happy I've been sampling as we go along. The smell and taste have now become incredibly sweet and the effect is very motivational. I must make sure I have a big project to work on before smoking or I end up walking in circles! Sorry for writing so much. Now you know why. This is exactly the sort of effect I was hoping for - it's the medicine I'll use while I'm working and the result should be spectacular. Here's hoping Late Harvest Wilma's buds bring on an equally exceptional case of couch lock.

Nice smoke report...as far as cutting male sacs are concerned. I have never heard of anyone plucking balls off with any amount of success, look like you may have gotten away with it though. Personally...if it has balls, I kill it! Tell my daughter that all the time when she wants to go out, lol...:peace:

Thanks SS - whatever those things are there are many more appearing - on just this one bud. I've been doing a bit of research and found info indicating a female plant may try to produce male flowers near the end of the flowering period. And it's not a problem. Little or no pollen is produced and what's there has low potency. Even if pollenation does occur there's no time to grow seeds before harvest. So, more than anything, this is just an interesting show

This is a fantastic debrief. Perfect information about the plant you are growing - i should say the medicine you are growing. This is the kind of information the new kind of medical research will be like - and why not aggregate that kind of research in a blog like this? Maybe we can set up plant specific threads in the MJ forum.
Then each person who grows XX blogs his observations - both the plant's needs, and the effect as medicine!

i;m high, too, and this is the cannabutter Medijuana brownies' creativity showing up.

Edit to say - with pictures of plant, of course!

See! Wine has varietals, and we know champaign is for celebration, now we are amassing the knowledge of the varietals of cannabis - we're the future wine tasters, cheese (also varietals) advice writer, vineyard curators - there is a whole new wave of jobs coming, whole new world of talent to be placed.

And, usul, the title to your journal is organized and informative, too. Are you a scientist?

Hi Tiger, thanks for asking. While I like scientific stuff as a hobby I make my living as an artist - a painter. So, when I say "working" I mean painting. Best job I've ever had. Just me and the dog in the studio. I can smoke all I need and the the side effects are an incredible boost in the productivity and creativity of my work.

Funny side story: I took a 1 gram bud in to work the other day. My studio is in a building with a number of other artists and I ran in to one of them in the hallway. She - a confirmed non-smoker - said "Do you smell that skunky smell?! It's like a skunk was in here!" I said I didn't smell a thing and tried not to smile too much like the Cheshire Cat. True story.

I didn't see anyone else that day... We artists are a reclusive bunch.

Just wanted to chime in with a quick update and some pics. Very little change can be seen from day to day, but a few things are happening. First, here's a pic of the canopy at 101 days old, day 54 flower:

g2_1-d101.jpg

And here's a new pic of the one bud on Wilma that may be going hermie. While those sure look like male flowers in the making I think the jury is still out. Stay tuned...

g2_1-d101nuts.jpg

As we get close to the end of the grow the plants are starting to show their age. In this pic (and in the first pic of the canopy - inside the white circle) we're seeing some leaf discoloration. A growing number of the top leaves are starting to develop areas deep purple in color. Interesting...

g2_1-d101color.jpg

Plans for harvest remain on track: Pebbles comes down in two days and Betty about four days after that. Who knows how long Wilma will take but I do have a deadline - I want to get in one more grow before I have to shut down the garden in August and September when I must do a lot of traveling for my business. So, by April 1 the next grow needs to be underway.

BALLS!

How many days until harvest? While shim might not have time to produce viable seeds, I would be concerned about lots of those little premie ones that can be an annoyance.

Other than that things look nice but if you have mad fan action going on in there I would definitely have concerns about pollen.

Ha ha! Sorry, I've been a little busy lately - will definitely get some pics posted later today.

Quick update is that Pebbles has been harvested. Buds are in the drying cabinet - which is working almost too well. Trimmings are dry, cut into small pieces and put in the freezer. Tonight I'll try my hand at making dry screen hash.

Betty's trichs are approaching 50% milky so she'll be harvested in the next day or two.

Wilma will continue until trichs are mostly amber, at least another week. Tortured Soul, your comment about pollen got me thinking... while it couldn't do much harm to these plants I'm concerned about polluting the tent and having issues with future grows. So I plucked off all the male parts - none of which had opened yet.

More soon!

Back
Top Bottom