Usul's Grow 2.1: Red Cherry Berry, Indoor 250W MH/HPS, 2'x2' ScrOG in soil

Hey folks - I've been away for a while - those brownies were wild! Ha ha! Not really. Like everything else about this grow the brownies were mediocre at best. Really tasty, but the effect was less potent than I'd hoped. One thing I did learn is that they make great sleep aids. The release-time lasts a good 8 hours. I haven't slept so well in years.

The buds are curing but my fear of mold caused me to dry them too fast (again). Doing a proper dry/cure really is an art. I'll keep working on it ;) Even though a bit too dry the flavor and effect of the buds continues to mature. The bright aromas and flavors like lemon and pink grapefruit have mellowed to sweeter and more complex flavors like blueberry and anise. And, as THC breaks down into other cannabanoids, the effect has become a bit more stoney.

So, with that final smoke report it's time to bring this journal to a close. My next grow is already underway: I'm doing the same strain again in an attempt to see if having some experience under my belt - plus a few minor upgrades to the setup - can bring in a higher yield. It's going to be a two plant ScrOG grown in soil from day 1. The most important change to the setup is replacing the MH and HPS bulbs with an enhanced spectrum Eye Hortilux HPS bulb and adding 50W of T5 side lighting. The seedlings are currently 4 days old and vegging under 150 watts of T5s. I'll switch over to the HPS in a couple weeks.

I'm planning to start a journal for the new grow soon and will post a link here when it's online.

Happy growing!

Thank You for Sharing Your Grow

So, with that final smoke report it's time to bring this journal to a close. My next grow is already underway: I'm doing the same strain again in an attempt to see if having some experience under my belt - plus a few minor upgrades to the setup - can bring in a higher yield. It's going to be a two plant ScrOG grown in soil from day 1. The most important change to the setup is replacing the MH and HPS bulbs with an enhanced spectrum Eye Hortilux HPS bulb and adding 50W of T5 side lighting. The seedlings are currently 4 days old and vegging under 150 watts of T5s. I'll switch over to the HPS in a couple weeks.

I'm planning to start a journal for the new grow soon and will post a link here when it's online.

Happy growing!

Hello usul,

Thanks for sharing your grow with us!

I'm moving this to Completed Journals now.

Looking forward to reading about your new grow. I hope that everything that you've learned allows you to do better and be much happier with your results in the future. It was a pleasure to read along and I'm sure that your next journal will have many viewers.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Good catch cocoJoe - yes it's from Dune. Usul translates to "the base of the pillar". Gotta start somewhere :) My avatar image is the planet Arrakis - home of the Spice. And so here we have The Greening of Arrakis.

And speaking of green, here's a mid-week update:

As I mentioned in a previous post, growth has been explosive. Let's get right to the pictures. Here are the girls at 53 days old and starting day 7 flower:

g2_1-day53.jpg

Here's a picture of Betty showing a side-by-side comparison of her size at day 50 and day 53. I've tried to keep the scale of the images the same but, to be honest, the day 53 pic is a bit small. For god's sake, they only got half-strength nutes at the watering three days ago. I'm almost afraid to see what will happen when I go to full strength. Maybe I should back off on the Hygrozyme...

g2_1-day53hand.jpg

There's no obvious sign of flowering yet, but I didn't expect it after just 7 days. Growth patterns have changed though: new growth is becoming increasingly light in color and the nodes are becoming asymetric. Side branching is extensive and I'm counting about 25 potential bud sites. Should be interesting to see how things develop. I'm still running the Metal Halide and will switch to the HPS in one week.

I saw one adult fungus gnat today so they're still hanging around but certainly not a big issue. Beneficial nematodes will join the party at the next watering which, by the way, will be coming up soon. My trusty moisture meter shows the plants are sucking up water more quickly now.
how did you attach the trellis/scrog net to the poles?

Back
Top Bottom