Vancouver Marijuana Activist Marc Emery Denied Transfer To Canada

MedicalNeed

Marijuana activist Marc Emery has been denied a request to be transferred to Canada to serve the remainder of his prison sentence, according to his wife Jodie Emery.

"He called me and said that he got a letter from the Canadian consulate, saying that they had been informed by the U.S. government that Marc's transfer application has been refused, on the grounds of the seriousness of the offence and law enforcement concerns," she told the Straight by phone today (April 15).

She said she believes the "seriousness of the offence" argument relates to the U.S. Attorney General's designation of her husband as the most wanted drug trafficking kingpin from Canada in a press release sent out the day of his arrest.

"Marc has never dealt in drugs, he only sold seeds and paid taxes and all the rest... but I think that's pretty damning to say that they're still willing to stick by the idea that Marc is a threat and shouldn't be returned to Canada," she said.

The transfer application can't be made again for two years, she noted.

The marijuana activist was sentenced to five years in prison on September 2010 for selling marijuana seeds. He pleaded guilty in May 2010 to one count of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and was extradited to the U.S.

His wife added the Conservative government signed off on his extradition on May 10, 2010.

"They're responsible for having sent him down there, to face this sentence, which really is so outrageous and far more punitive than selling seeds and being a political activist should warrant," she said.

The activist known as the "Prince of Pot" is currently in a transfer facility in Oklahoma City and is waiting to be sent to a facility in Mississippi.

Emery said her husband was "devastated" by the news.

"He just hopes that I'm going to be ok, and of course I just hope that he'll be ok, and we're going to stick through this together no matter what happens," she said.

"It's certainly heartbreaking, to say the least," she added.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed: 420 MAGAZINE
Author: Yolande Cole
Source: straight.com
Copyright: 2011 Vancouver Free Press
Website: Vancouver marijuana activist Marc Emery denied transfer to Canada

They are just blaming the other guy so they can say it's not their fault.They gave up their sovereignty when they turned him over. If you need some real reality tell them you want someone who's breaking one of your laws and they'll give you the finger.

This whole Marc Emery thing is such a debacle. This line, ironically, is a total JOKE: "..the seriousness of the offense..." ?!? Marijuana is completely harmless, while the laws are a huge danger to society -- not to mention EXPENSIVE. Marijana LAWS tear up the fabric of society through corruption, crime, murder, destroying lives, destroying jobs, breaking up families, costing more than basic science funding and the space program... etc. etc. Marijana laws and enforcement are a destructive industry built on persecution and inducement of human suffering for NO GOOD REASON!!!

THERE IS SIMPLY NO EXCUSE FOR THE CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR OF THE US GOVERNMENT IN THEIR PERSECUTION OF MARC EMERY. NO EXCUSE.

I totally agree with you how crap this all is, but I would personally be more pissed at Canada (especially if I were from there) for handing him over even though he hadn't broken its laws and the government for years pointed people in his direction so they could get seeds.

I totally agree with you how crap this all is, but I would personally be more pissed at Canada (especially if I were from there) for handing him over even though he hadn't broken its laws and the government for years pointed people in his direction so they could get seeds.

Why don't people from Canada understand this.

Send the man home and let him serve his time in his home of Canada...Gimme a damn break...All the time and money spent to keep him here is nonsense and he should have never even been sent to jail in the first place....Give him a fuckin fine to pay or something and then send that money to the national deficit instead of spending tons of money we don't even have to jail the man....Sad that he has done so much for the marijuana community and is no threat to mankind but is getting treated like a terrorist.....Good luck to Marc Emery and hope he gets home soon....:goodluck:

If they're holding him in the OKC county jail... Than maybe i'll go bust him out! I live within walking distance! I can see it from my window now.

Send the man home and let him serve his time in his home of Canada...Gimme a damn break...All the time and money spent to keep him here is nonsense and he should have never even been sent to jail in the first place....Give him a fuckin fine to pay or something and then send that money to the national deficit instead of spending tons of money we don't even have to jail the man....Sad that he has done so much for the marijuana community and is no threat to mankind but is getting treated like a terrorist.....Good luck to Marc Emery and hope he gets home soon....:goodluck:

The only reason to keep him in jail is BS the same thing they did with Tommy chong didn't accomplish nothing. I'm doing my 14 weeks in a drug program and they all know when it's over I will go back to smoking Weed this is not free to the state ,but it creates jobs. Difference is in their mind they have made a statement with our money spent if they only could charge the ones that agree with it. It would stop quick they couldn't buy a cup of coffee with it. :peace:

When you become too big you become a spectacle and an immediate target for removal. He was removed.
Canada should never have allowed him to be extradited. He committed no crime, there were no victims. There has to be a victim for a crime to be of committed.

Back
Top Bottom