Veg under 400w MH, flower under 600w HPS?

Is it OK to veg & flower under different wattage bulbs?

• Yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends (explain in reply)

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marvel

I'm thinking of vegging under 400 watts MH and flowering under 600 watts HPS. Reason: Attempting to save a little cash on electricity (vs using 600 watts on both sides), and I figure a good part of the veg stage the plants will be small so perhaps they don't need the extra power.

Is this a bad idea? Will the girls be unhappy moving into nearly 3x brightness suddenly when it comes time to flower? Should I stick to 600 watts all around?

Thanks for any advice!

In response to the poll question...

Seems to me it depends on the types and wattages of the lighting. Let's say u have (2- 4 lamp) 4' T5 flouro fixtures for veg and a 1000W HPS for bloom. That is a drastic change in spectrum and lumens. I feel strongly that the plants should be prepared for this transition. I ur case IMO U should be fine with 400MH to 600WHPS, done it a few times. If ur working with a sensitive strain u may have to take stress factors into consideration. Things like how u intend to introduce the plant to the light. Hardening plants is a practice of some growers who start indoors and finish outdoors by gradually acclimating the plants to a more intense, broader spectrum of light (artificial to sunlight).If u thrust a plant from flouros (especially a novice) under 1000W hps , from 20/4 to 12/12 I assume ur looking for problems. Light burn. possible heat stress, top 2. I can hear the refutation "Oh, I can pull the light up a foot or so" or "I've done it before, I do it all the time!" I believe some of u are being honest. We must try to keep in mind this isn't an equal playing field. We all have different setups, various grow styles and methods. Different financial resources and are functioning at different mental capacities. What works for me may not always work for u. This is all my personal opinion. Yea, I voted it depends.

Back
Top Bottom