Ventilation, heat, & layout in small LED-lit grow room--advice?

Rosemary

Hi, all! I'm designing my first grow room and could really use some advice. Your input would be much appreciated!

First, the background for my questions:

I'll be using plywood to create a room in the back of my garage. The full space will be 4 or 5 feet deep, 12 feet long, and 6 feet high. The 12' length will be split into a vegging section and flowering section. For compliance with California's MMJ laws, I plan to grow 6 plants at a time and cycle them through the veg and flower areas so I harvest one plant at a time. Within these constraints, I'm hoping to maximize my yields.

I'm legal, but going for discretion to avoid break-ins and cranky neighbors. I'm really hoping that nobody in my neighborhood will know I'm growing.

I plan to use LED lighting, probably 8 or 10 of the 90-watt UFO lights (carefully chosen because a lot of those are NOT the right wavelengths).

The garage has two 6"x12" vents to the outside, near the floor. One of these will be inside the grow room; the other will not. Air also gets in around the edges of the garage door. I live in a cool coastal area--rarely hot, often chilly, almost never freezing.

Question 1:

I need to control odor in the flowering area, and as far as I know so far, the most effective way to do this is with a carbon filter. I assume I also need some ventilation to prevent mold. With the LED's, though, I figure I won't need to vent heat and if anything will have trouble keeping my plants warm *enough* in winter. So, what's the best way to set up the ventilation and filtration?

I'm considering doing the following:

Put the flowering section on the end that has the 6x12" vent, and vent the filtered air directly to the outdoors. Have an intake opening from the flowering area to the vegging area, and another intake opening from the vegging area to the garage. Air would be sucked into the garage through the other vent and around the door, through the vegging area to the flowering area, get filtered, and go outside. I'm thinking that since the filter would pull air *into* the grow room, I wouldn't have to worry much about smelly air *leaving* the grow room.

Would this work? If so, any tips on how to set it up? If this idea sounds lousy, what do you think would be a better way?

Question 2:

What about the heat issue? When outdoor temps are 40 degrees F at night and 55 daytime, am I going to need a heater in there? Or will the LED's put out enough heat?

Question 3:

How much of my space should I devote to vegging and how much to flowering?

I want to harvest one big plant at a time, in whatever timeframe makes the most sense... I could have two plants overlapping in the flowering area (when plant A is halfway through flowering, plant B comes into the room, and when plant A gets harvested, plant C comes in), or maybe three flowering at once? Not sure how to best time it, or how to allocate the space.

Subset to Question 3:
I know that choice of strain matters here. I'm thinking of trying Purple Kush, at least to start out with (maybe get more adventurous down the road when I'm more knowledgeable). If you think this is for any reason not a good choice in my setup, please let me know.

Gosh, this got long. I will be very grateful for your opinions! I've been researching like mad, but there are so very many ways to grow that it's hard to figure out how to apply the vast amount of info to a specific situation. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :hug:

growroomspc.jpg

heres what i would do ... with the addition to wall mounted searg protectors for your winter heating... youll need a small space heater with a thermo stat for auto use and no over heating.....there would be no vent in the top of the veg room to keep humidity higher then the flower room with the vents in the top to keep humidity low. the top vents would go to the carbon filter

Wow, an illustrated reply! Thanks! Is there a particular advantage to putting the filter outside the room, or would putting it it the room on the ceiling and venting it out be as good?

you dont really want to recirculate the air inside the box

Oh, I didn't mean to just recirculate inside. I was thinking of having the filter inside, at the ceiling, with a duct to vent the filtered air to the outside. It would be nice to keep it inside the grow room to minimize the fan noise.

Funny you mention recirculating, though, because I talked with a guy at a hydro store today, and he said that I'd have problems adding CO2 to the room if I kept the filter fan venting to the outdoors 24/7... But I'd really be concerned about odor if I turned the fan off. Is this really an issue? Do the numbers for how much CO2 should be added to a room assume that it's a completely closed space without airflow to the outside? I've been looking into using compost for CO2, in which case it would be basically free, so maybe I should just plan on using extra...

putting them on the ceiling would be a good idea... but as far a CO2 goes , if you have never grow marijuana before CO2 is something i would worry about later after a couple of grows .. i brew beer so i let them ferment in my grow room for little bit more CO2 but other then that i dont really worry about if that much and still get big buds :)

and kush is a good strain .... if i were you i would just harvest 3 plants at a time and keep the veg clones X amounts of week behind.. and after you grow a couple if times you'll get your rotations down.

I'm no expert, but the 90 watt UFOs don't cut the mustard. I've been experimenting with them, and I'm going back to T-5s.

This site is such a good resource....lot's of pros....

Microdocks--nice to hear that I don't have to sweat the CO2 thing too much. You certainly have a fun method! I'm going to give the compost a shot; got nothing to lose, and I like to make compost for my vegetable garden anyhow.

I'm only allowed to have 8oz. of bud at a time, and I'm ambitious enough to hope that I'd get more than that off of 3 plants, so I think I'd like to stagger them a bit more... But I could have 3 flowering at once, staggered.

NCDude, I replied to you about LED's in this thread-- Htg 90w UFO?

I only have one 20-amp circuit to play with, so I'm very interested in getting as much light as I can without excessive power. I'm thinking of adding at least a small HPS to the room, though, and see if I can find a balance where I don't need a heater but don't need to worry about excess heat either. In your experience with the UFO's, did they heat the room at all?

Any idea how big an HPS it would take to bring a space my size up to a good temperature without overdoing it?

Thanks, folks!

Rosemary...
They don't put out much heat at all, and take very little power... It may suit your' needs well...

Back
Top Bottom