Venting Grow Tent Outside in Winter

Just remember to add an air make up , if your house is new & energy efficient pushing large volumes of air out side with out one, you will pull carbon monoxide down your furnace chimney

more folks should pay attention to that. my grow room exhaust reverses air flow on the furnace stack. we periodically check it to be safe.

it never used to be an issue, but i switched to a phresh filter with less obstruction, and it caused trouble. i don't run a control on that fan and it is bit large for what i need to exhaust. we changed things up a bit so the grow room pulls more air from elsewhere.

Me too @Emilya. I used a combination of wood and styrofoam and filled the gaps with foam insulation just like you did. Seems to keep the cold air out so far!! I'm really surprised someone hasn't patented a grower version of the window spacer yet.

GG
I got the idea from the Ham Radio world... where we have a product called a window coax feed through adapter...

mfj-4601_xl.jpg

more folks should pay attention to that. my grow room exhaust reverses air flow on the furnace stack. we periodically check it to be safe.

it never used to be an issue, but i switched to a phresh filter with less obstruction, and it caused trouble. i don't run a control on that fan and it is bit large for what i need to exhaust. we changed things up a bit so the grow room pulls more air from elsewhere.
Yes for sure. I have detectors in the room but I need to figure out if this is an issue in my house

use a candle by the stack on the furnace. if the flame pulls up and the rate of burn increases you have upflow. if the flame sputters, wavers, or goes out you have inflow and issues.

edit : it's a super old school way of checking. you may have to remove the front cover to expose the exchanger and stack. they just pull or slide off.

i would be worried about freezing temps coming back into your tent when the fan is off. use an eskimo trap to stop the cold air from coming in

i would be worried about freezing temps coming back into your tent when the fan is off. use an eskimo trap to stop the cold air from coming in
hey there @kahoona I have it set up such that the AC Infinity fan is always running at least at minimum speed. It will ramp up if the temperature exceed the alarm limit. I'm not sure if that will completely prevent cold air from migrating up the exhaust tube in mid-February but that is my hope. What exactly is an eskimo trap?

GG

as long as the fan is running...even a little bit it will keep cold air out. we use eskimo traps for combustion air on furnaces and water heaters in winter climate. it is just a p trap looking pipe that holds cold air from coming in unless drawn in by the furnace running. you could use it in reverse to keep cold temps out of the tent if your fan stops for any reason.

i just vent into my house and open the window a bit i am running big carbon filter too 6 inch blower .. save your heat and clean air

that grow tent is a air purifier with a big carbon filter vent indoor winter

i guess i should ad i run a 25 ft 6 inch tube down my hall way into the kitchen with a big muffler on the end
that is nice clean air adde oxygen and dirt removed.. not that humid light burns off ..
at -25 keep it.. free heater too love a grow tent ..

cheers

as long as the fan is running...even a little bit it will keep cold air out. we use eskimo traps for combustion air on furnaces and water heaters in winter climate. it is just a p trap looking pipe that holds cold air from coming in unless drawn in by the furnace running. you could use it in reverse to keep cold temps out of the tent if your fan stops for any reason.
Thanks @kahoona. I'm going to look into that. Can't hurt to have something in the event of a failure

GG

i just vent into my house and open the window a bit i am running big carbon filter too 6 inch blower .. save your heat and clean air

that grow tent is a air purifier with a big carbon filter vent indoor winter

i guess i should ad i run a 25 ft 6 inch tube down my hall way into the kitchen with a big muffler on the end
that is nice clean air adde oxygen and dirt removed.. not that humid light burns off ..
at -25 keep it.. free heater too love a grow tent ..

cheers

hey @deltadubie nice looking flowers. You don't have any issues with humidity or smell over time?

GG

hey @deltadubie nice looking flowers. You don't have any issues with humidity or smell over time?

GG
for 3 or 4 big 5ft plants no trouble in my 1350 sq ft bungalow .. with full concrete finished basement ..

the carbon filter takes all the smell from plants away as long as running .. i do turn off day time to save some power
and get powerful plants smells in a few hrs .. once i walked in and thought had major gas leak .. smell ..

100 dollars for carbon filter 6 inch with big 6 inch 100 blower no problem to handle 4 plants in tent..

save your heat and clean filter air..

my window in grow room open 3 inches with blower on at -4c cooling the room for more resign at rest night ..

cheers

ps never vent outside with out carbon filter if illegal u get caught by smell
100s or yards away

This is the one topic that I have had trouble finding information on this past year of learning. The majority of the threads related to venting tent exhaust end up talking about venting into attics and cutting holes in walls, etc. I don't want to go down that path if I don't have to. I have zero risk tolerance when it comes to possible damage to the house.

I have recently moved my 4x4 tent downstairs and thus made the decision to vent the exhaust outside. I had considered venting into another room, but I was paranoid about the possible smell and also had concerns about the humidity and possible moisture problems down the road. I recognize you can combat these concerns with additional equipment in the room itself, but I thought my plan to vent outside was a solid one.

I run a 6" AC Infinity fan with the aforementioned scrubber and then there is about a 4 foot run of ducting to the window. I put a piece of 1" styrofoam insulation in the window space and cut a 4" hole through it. The 6" ducting goes thru a reducer to a 4" and then thru the window via an aluminum pipe that extends out into the window well. I reduced the exhaust to a 4" thinking it would reduce possible cold backdraft. My tent exhaust is about 26.5C/80F and the RH in the tent is about 60%.

All of that said, its around -2C/28F outside and I see that the humidity drops out of the exhaust part way down the exhaust pipe and its starting to freeze. I know realize that this is going to probably cause possible issues a couple of months from now, if not weeks.

Have any of you ever experienced this problem and how did you combat it? I know someone is going to say to cut some holes in the walls or vent into the attic lol

Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long-winded question. Blame the Blue Dream!

GG

tent1.jpg

tent2.jpg

tent3.jpg
Looks good!

Back
Top Bottom