Venting into attic

Yes, we own the house and its paid for. I already vent out a window. What I’m trying to accomplish is complete stealth. The bathroom exhausts already vent up into the attic. The attic itself is vented as well. The wood-burning stove already vents out the top of the roof so we’re not interested in renting anything else out the top of the roof. Thankyou for your input.. Here Where I am from the summers are very long very hot sometimes 102° and very very humid. I’m doubting venting in the attic will be a game changer.

013 & Jerry as always gave out some great information.

I would never vent into my attic. One bad run in the tent where you get some mold or mildew will then be pumped into your attic. I'm sure you can see where that could be problematic.

If this is a long term grow, can you sacrifice half a window? You can design and build something that fits into the window, has nice looking vent covers, and is movable. The vent covers are still in a box somewhere buy hopefully this sparks an idea

16160803020266101652276995496725.jpg

Then you'll need to find the spot you want to put it. Make sure you are in between the roof trusses, generally either 24" or 18" to center of each beam. Cut your hole same size as the round ducting adapter. Go up into your attic, clear away the insulation if there is any, and you can fit that ducting adapter right thru the hole. If you want to secure it, use some silicon or construction adhesive. Let it dry.
Great info on how to help with the problem.

One thing I noticed and maybe dick23rk will let us know but it would probably be best to go into the attic and clear away any insulation between the ceiling joists first before cutting the hole. It is not fun when the hole-saw or jig saw gets tangled in the fiberglass style insulation in the attic speaking from experience. Or cutting the hole and having the loose particle type of insulation come falling into the room through the new hole, something else from experience.

I have also run into electric wiring running on top of the ceiling plaster and under the layer of insulation. Something to keep in mind.

013 & Jerry as always gave out some great information.

I would never vent into my attic. One bad run in the tent where you get some mold or mildew will then be pumped into your attic. I'm sure you can see where that could be problematic.

If this is a long term grow, can you sacrifice half a window? You can design and build something that fits into the window, has nice looking vent covers, and is movable. The vent covers are still in a box somewhere buy hopefully this sparks an idea

16160803020266101652276995496725.jpg
Ok I’m convinced about not venting into the attic. Mold up there would be bad no matter how it got there. I’m actually doing something similar to that now with venting out my window.. I just wanted a zero indication option anything was going on different at my house. Thank you everyone for the great support and I have learned a lot.

C7D8B104-9405-4F6D-A752-77A389B3862C.jpeg

Good choice either way @RetiredRN
Just keep in mind if at some point you did want to keep it stealth and look totally normal, get a roofer to cut a hole where you want it and run a pvc pipe thru the roof and ceiling. Just need the pipe and a boot for the roof. Roofer should be able to save the shingles/metal no problem.

Yes @smokingyou are right, easier to go up first and clear insulation and look for wires. I guess my instructions weren't in the right order or the clearest. Thanks

Ok I’m convinced about not venting into the attic. Mold up there would be bad no matter how it got there. I’m actually doing something similar to that now with venting out my window.. I just wanted a zero indication option anything was going on different at my house. Thank you everyone for the great support and I have learned a lot.

C7D8B104-9405-4F6D-A752-77A389B3862C.jpeg

Glad to hear it :Namaste:

Take a Google search of "red brick plastic backdrop" and you may find some material to use to help hide the venting out the window for now (or maybe spark an idea).

I like how you have the flowers to cover the vents:high-five:

Glad to hear it :Namaste:

Take a Google search of "red brick plastic backdrop" and you may find some material to use to help hide the venting out the window for now (or maybe spark an idea).

I like how you have the flowers to cover the vents:high-five:
It was all I could think of to do. The window you can’t see to the left has a similar flower arrangement in front of it as well so really unless your near my porch you can’t really see anything. I like flowers anyway.

It was all I could think of to do. The window you can’t see to the left has a similar flower arrangement in front of it as well so really unless your near my porch you can’t really see anything. I like flowers anyway.
The flowers attract the eye when someone looks and helps distract the person so they might not notice any venting. One of the ideas for stealth grows in city and suburban areas where people have no choice but to grow in a backyard or on a balcony. People accept seeing flowers or ornamental plants so let them see those and they ignore what might not be as pretty or colorful.

Wow! Lots of good info on this thread! Thanks all. Obviously some trade experts here. Thanks for sharing.

After reading through I’m not worried about one bath I have vented to the attic that only one person who doesn’t take hot steamy showers uses and I guess in a non freeze zone or off winter venting a tent to the attic might not bother me - If the attic is also vented.

But if you’re on an outside wall and it’s a wood structure and no window solutions works/looks great/is secure, I’d go out the wall. The dryer vent kit is easy to install once you’ve got a hole. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom