Vertical grow could use some help

George2324

I am planning to build a vertical aeroponic system but could use some help as the actual understanding part i am struggling with

I was thinking of a system like this one:
6692Picture_060.jpg

But I can't for the life of me figure out how the guy in this system managed to get a pump to split water between like 12 vertical sections.

As far as I understand every time the water reaches a T it halves the water pressure.

So surely the water will be trickling out the last vertical section.

I have found a decent pump the most powerful I can find which is around 30,000l/h with a 2inch hole for the pvc.

Could anyone explain to me how I would go about getting the water pressure and pumps in this system correct?

I thought I might need 3 pumps but this system in the picture only has one line of water by the looks of it.

Cheers for any help

It appears to be a single pressurized line with individual mister heads for each stack. If so the restricted flow from the misters will keep enough back pressure to make sure each stack received water. Similar to the misting tubes sold for use with fans to cool outside areas.

Edit: Gravity will take the water back down the stacks watering each plant on the way down.

Would there be just one mister at the top of each stack or do you think there is another pvc pipe down the inside of the larger pipes with multiple mister heads on the pipe?

If something like this:

5700001.jpg

Was just at the top of each stack would it water enough of the roots at the bottom? It wouldn't be fine mist by the time it gets to the bottom plant would it?

I've looked at the photo several times and have been giving it some thought. It looks as if there is some sort of track running down the inside of the stacks. Look closely at the stack just to the right of the light. I'm not sure if it is an open track to funnel water or an extension of the upper hose with mister heads in it. I do remember when I was building my top watered dwc reservoir there were a boatload of individual pieces for irrigation at Lowe's and Home Depot. Maybe a short conversation with an associate or outdoor irrigation worker could shed some light on what can be done. I hope you'll take photos of each step when you build it and post for other to learn also. :)

its gonna be a while before I can build it yet by the looks of things as I'm still confused about the pump requirements if I end up buying multiple pumps to do trial and error id end up spending a fortune. I live in the uk so finding suppliers of most things is a pain too.

The pvc pipes I have found are 4inch diameter so I need 4inch net pots which I can only find on one small online shop based in germany.

I need 4 inch neoprene inserts but can't find a seller at all for those.

And then the pump issue. Ideally I'd like to have a pipe going down each individual stack with multiple mister heads of them however getting enough water pumped all the way across to all the heads would be an issue I think.

If anyone knows a way to pump water around like this it would be ideal if they could explain how water works. I assume it always flows to the path of least resistance just no clear way to get the pumps to work

Ye that is interesting challenge !

Mmm pic showed one supply tube and the pressure would be lowered by at the end of the supply tube.

Well pump size is off question to effective delivery of nutrients/water etc...

If you wish to replicate such a system, i might think about using a T junction on the main supply tube providing two supply tubes per six vertical stuff/shaft that should equal out pressure issues when compared to a longer run pipe system such as pic shows.

Other wise i may think off a dripper style feed system per plant hole etc and let gravity do the rest !

Do you think one sprinkler head per stack would provide enough water to trickle down to even the lower roots?

Another issue im having with my initial design I could use some help with is

The net pots will sit at around 70cm away from the cool tube. Now I have read that for a 600w bulb the furthest recommended distance is 64cm.

And the closest recommended distance is 20cm

That only leaves around 1.5ft of space for growth.

Ideally I'd like to make the distance larger so that they could grow larger however the further away the plant goes... The light cannot be moved so my question is, would the initial seedlings be stunted due to being so far away from the lights?

I could up to 1000w lights but the same issue arises that the seedling will start off to far away from lights, and won't be able to get as close due to heat issues.

Any opinions on best distance / wattage I could use?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom