Very yellow lower leaves - Early flower - First grow

tb07

Yellowing in flower, I read its normal, but it seems to be progressing. At this rate I don't know how the plant can keep any folage it has a long way to go.

I'm not sure how to post attachments so I will give a discription.

Indoor grow
Veg for a month or so with cfl
Switched to 12\12 and about 7 days later saw lots of hairs. Now 14 days later lots of little buds. Tops look great.
Switched to mars hydro led in 1st week flower just because needed more cfl and the room was getting hot and was a cable management nightmare so instead replaced with led.
Growing in soil
Fox farms soil trio for neutriants at 1\4 of dose guide.
PH neutriant water to about 6.5 every time
Not much stretch

2 larger plants of 4 are yellowing.

What can lower yellowing be a sign of? N deficiency ?

Are neuts too low since its the larger probably hungrier of the 4 suffering ?

Any feedback would be great!

tmp_15814-IMG_20160626_0829431072182708.jpg
tmp_15814-IMG_20160626_082811801476216.jpg

Re: very yellow lower leaves. early flower. first grow.

In flower they need low nitrogen so rule that out it could be a magnesium deficiency Epsom salts can help with this in your water add some in and check the soil ph is somewhere between 6-7 maybe a bit of calmag addative to your nutrients could help it has nitrogen in it but is mainly used for calcium and magnesium def. have a look at some deficiency charts like this
420-magazine-mobile1286149754.jpg
420-magazine-mobile959982511.jpg

OG Kush & WWxBB Grow - Indoor Tent

Re: very yellow lower leaves. early flower. first grow.

I'm slightly color blind but it really looks to me to be between early and progression N deficiency

I updated the initial post with pH 6.5 and not much stretch. Maybe regular veg growth rate (maybe even less)

I think I know what it could be. Root aphids.

A week ago mosquito dunks were sprinkled on the soil to try to control a few flying bugs assumed to be fugas gnats. From my research I think it could be root aphids.

Any recomendations on how to attack this ? I read Gnatrol WDG is good. Anything else ?

can the plants be saved ?

Used traps a week ago when flyers were noticed and mosquitomdunks were sprinkled around the base.

Caught about 1-2 dozen of these right away but nothing much else recently on fresh tape.

Before flower they were watered but not flushed. Was only running 1\4 dose once a week.

Should they just get a flushing next watering. Add some cal mag to the end of thee flush?

Flushing with just pH water is fine? Aim for a decent amount of runoff ?

Tops appear fine. Seems to be isolated to lower fans. Even lower little buds next to yellow fans look fine.

Thank again.

tmp_3708-IMG_20160626_2308280_2891520106.jpg
tmp_3708-IMG_20160626_23071561862023907.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I'll update the thread with the outcome.

Should
1. All fans with any discoloration be removed?
2. Only phans with xx% or more ? What is xx?
3. No fans need to be removed? (I feel this is not the answer )

Thanks

Its been about a week now.

After the flush with mosquito dunk and some calmag the plants have been drying. Maybe another day or two before they need water. At that time all leaves of about 70% yellow or more were removed or any that fell with a slight tug.

Now today some of the old partial yellow lower fans have continued to yellow and there are a few additional previously green leaves shwoing some early signs. Yellowing does not appear to be as bad as before but that could be because there are less lower fans?

As for pests. A few tiny black flies show up on sticky traps and never has been seen more than one air born flyer at a time.

Could pests and roots be a problem or would more bugs be visible?

The tops are looking great and have maybe stretched an inch or two.

Could these plants be heavy feeders and would bumping nuts of fox farms trio UPTO 1\2 dose from the previouse 1\4 dose be warranted ?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Update: did some research. The leaves may be darker green than they should be. Sign of too much N. I read it can make them yellow and fall off as well. What's the best way to address to much N?
Sine threy were just flushed should they be flushed again next watering ? Should they be fed next watering with just tiger bloom to get them some P and K with as little N as possible ?

Some help please :)

Good luck tb07. I had the same issue with my recent first tent grow. I played with the soil PH to make sure it was normal, still no improvement. I had those little winged guys. Assumed they were fungus gnats and treated with mosquito bits. It seemed to get rid of the gnats, but leave yellowing kept spreading. At the end of flowering, I noticed what I believed were spider mites with my mini mciroscope. Since my buds were essentially ripe, I just ended the grow, followed suggestions and soaked my buds in hot water for 15 minutes then dried them out. Still don't know if it was the gnats, mites or something else that caused the yellowing progression. Look forward to hearing if you see some resolution. It will help in my next indoor attempt.

Back
Top Bottom