Vetsmoke85 First Grow Stealth Cabinet

Hello,
Just completed the build of my first stealth cabinet. Ready to go and germinating first seed for a micro grow.

Cabinet dimensions = Height 25 inch, Width 17 inch, Depth 22.5 inch.
Lighting = Custom built LED 2x50W + 2x28W full spectrum.
Carbon filter extractor with 120mm case fan.
Passive intake.
Biobizz light mix & biobizz nutes.
9L air pot chopped in half with approx. 4L capacity.
Strain = Blueberry auto.

Wish me luck. This wonderful plant has really helped me in recent years and I've really enjoyed the build of this cabinet. Hopefully with the help of all the experience on this site I can pull of a good little grow.

Attachments

• 20190312_143414.jpg
    20190312_143414.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 20190312_143256.jpg
    20190312_143256.jpg
    672.6 KB · Views: 315
Nicely executed design.

Since you mentioned this is your first, here are my thoughts:

The locks won't keep the police or thieves out of the cabinet. The locks would cause them to focus their attention on it.
The two locks scream "There's something valuable here."
The empty hole (for a previous lock?) emphasizes this.
The way the hasps cover two drawer fronts says "This is not what it looks like."

When designing security, you need to consider what the threat is. If there are children around, or the cabinet is an an area accessible to visitors, a case can be made for a lock. I'd use a cabinet drawer lock so it wouldn't look out of place to a casual inspection. If not, simple latches would suffice.

Hi Old Salt,

Thanks for the reply and input. The locks are more to keep the door seal in place and just in case anyone goes snooping around. Here's a pic of how it is now. Temps are good.
Nicely executed design.

Since you mentioned this is your first, here are my thoughts:

The locks won't keep the police or thieves out of the cabinet. The locks would cause them to focus their attention on it.
The two locks scream "There's something valuable here."
The empty hole (for a previous lock?) emphasizes this.
The way the hasps cover two drawer fronts says "This is not what it looks like."

When designing security, you need to consider what the threat is. If there are children around, or the cabinet is an an area accessible to visitors, a case can be made for a lock. I'd use a cabinet drawer lock so it wouldn't look out of place to a casual inspection. If not, simple latches would suffice.

Attachments

• 20190313_145219.jpg
    20190313_145219.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 216
Plan is to grow a single plant and use LST as the vertical space is quite limiting. I've done tons of reading to prepare and feel I'm at the stage now where I need to just learn by doing. I'm sure I'll encounter some issues along the way but with help from knowledgeable people like you I will be able to enjoy the fruits of my labour. It's been fun so far.

Good design on the cabinet,the only problem I see is the height.

I used a ghetto 2x2x3' cardbox to grow in a few years back(with cfl's),and with the pot taking up about a foot,and the lights taking up apx 5" ,plus the space from the light (with cfl's it's2- 3",quite a bit more for led's) that left 16" for the plant.

I kept the plant to 11" ,but with the LST,width became a problem.it worked,but it was Very tight

She ended up 11" tall,but 25"wide. Your 25" height,with led's is going to be a real challenge,
Maybe get another cabinet just like that one,and stack 'em? Or at least have a contingency plan, in case you run out of room..
Not trying to be a downer here,just relating my experience with a small growspace...

I used a ghetto 2x2x3' cardbox to grow in a few years back(with cfl's),and with the pot taking up about a foot,and the lights taking up apx 5" ,plus the space from the light (with cfl's it's2- 3",quite a bit more for led's) that left 16" for the plant.

I kept the plant to 11" ,but with the LST,width became a problem.it worked,but it was Very tight

She ended up 11" tall,but 25"wide. Your 25" height,with led's is going to be a real challenge,
Maybe get another cabinet just like that one,and stack 'em? Or at least have a contingency plan, in case you run out of room..
Not trying to be a downer here,just relating my experience with a small growspace...

Thanks for the input. Yes that's my main concern too. I've used a 9L air pot chopped down to hold about 4L. The pot now stands around 14cm tall. Hoping this will help save vertical space but also encourage the plant to grow short, combined with LST. I also have another lower profile 100W LED panel I can switch in to save a few inches if needed. If that all goes wrong I'll have to try switching to CFL maybe? Trial and error.

Also if I get a plant anything like that I'll be well chuffed. Looks awesome.

CFL's do a decent job,but you need a lot of them-there was 8- 60w equivalent cfl's in here,6 overhead
and one on each side. I've been using an led for a month or so now(in my new ghetto box),and they definitely work better.

I know right! His plant is perfectly trained.
Yeah it looks great. I'll be trying LST but autos have a short veg time so will see how well I can train it. May try doing a photo grow once I've got a couple of autos under my belt.

CFL's do a decent job,but you need a lot of them-there was 8- 60w equivalent cfl's in here,6 overhead
and one on each side. I've been using an led for a month or so now(in my new ghetto box),and they definitely work better.

You're definitely doing something right mate. Is that a regular photo strain?

Yes,it was a Kerala Krush photo- grew great but the smoke was weak...I don't know if that old strain is still around,but I wouldn't recommend it-not quite a waste of time,but real close!

Yeah it looks great. I'll be trying LST but autos have a short veg time so will see how well I can train it. May try doing a photo grow once I've got a couple of autos under my belt.
I think photos are easier are they not? I would think so even though I have zero experience , because when you mess up a grow it cost you time or harvest quantity. With photos I had time to learn and mess them up and get stuff right before switching to veg. With autos you do not have that luxury. Who knows though. :lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke::lot-o-toke:

My thinking was to start with autos as the ruderalis makes them quite hardy I believe and they tend to grow smaller. Plus I can have the same light setup and cycle for the entire grow. Also don't need a big yield but thought with autos I could get a different strain grown every few months. I like some variety. Will definitely do a photo grow at some point though. Hoping to have many happy years of learning ahead.

I am pulling up a chair too! Lets see this work!
Welcome! I really hope it does work. May need some modification along the way but I'm sure I'll get something out of it. Then it will be a challenge to improve and see how much. Although quality over quantity is what I'm after.

Back
Top Bottom