VG & InTheShed Are Darin' To Grow Varin From Weed Seeds Express

Highya VG,

Glad you're feeling a little better. Your Doug's Varin looks almost ready.

I'm thinking you should chop when you think it is ready. But leave 1/3 of the plant to continue to mature for at least a couple more weeks. Then you can compare the effects mote appropriately to find your happy place with it. It adds to the pain of having multiple harvests drying and curing at different times though.
I agree with BA. Last year I had a ploant go 1+ weeks after the others were chopped. Turns out to be the most potent one. Just friendly advice. Happy Smokin'

:ciao: VG! So sorry you’ve been under the weather. A headache for two weeks is just awful. :hug:
Your DV is gorgeous (as is the PK). If she’s still drinking then…? My Blueberry was still drinking pretty well, but I finally said “enough” because I had a next round coming. She got so fat while I waited though. :cheesygrinsmiley: I guess it might be a kinda hard choice with the DV since things changed wrt the specs in the middle of your grow. I don’t think it would hurt to let her go or to chippity chop! How’s that for being non-committal?!:laughtwo:

Greetings fellow growers!
I hope y'all can join us while we grow and learn together.

A few months back I was perusing the @Weed Seeds Express online catalogue when a very special strain caught my eye. Doug's Varin.
It's one that I have wanted for a few years but couldn't find anywhere, until now.
I first heard of it's existence a few years ago through a post here at 420 Mag. It is a strain that was well sought for but trying to obtain it was next to impossible.

I mentioned the possibility of a future grow focusing on this special strain and it high THCV content. This instantly piqued the interest of many growers, most notably,my good friend @InTheShed . He just happened to be looking for a special strain at the time. One to address some specific health and wellness aspects of his family members. This strain was a good fit for what he was looking for.
The timing was perfect.

Speaking with Shed about the possible benefits of this strain quickly morphed into doing a joint grow. We've both been working with the folks @Weed Seeds Express for over a year now. Both of us are very pleased with their genetics and customer service.
Thank you again @Weed Seeds Express !!

Doug's Varin

Specifications Doug's Varin- feminized seeds
THC level - 24%
CBD level - 0.2%
CBG Level - 0.01%
Variety - Pure Sativa
Genetics - Harlequin x Thai landrace
Max yield indoor - 275 to 350 grams/m²
Max yield outdoor - 350 to 450 grams/m²
Height indoor - 120 to 160 cm
Height outdoor - 150 to 220 cm
Flowering time - 70 to 84 days
Fungal Resistance - High
Growers profile - Moderate
Cultivation - Indoor, Outdoor, Greenhouse
Climate - Mediterranean, Arid, Tropical
Flavors - Earthy, Fruity, Sweet, Pine
Effects - Energetic, Euphoric, Focused
SOG suitable - yes
SCROG suitable - yes

Doug's Varin is reported to contain very high levels of of the cannabinoid THCV.
THCV is said to have various beneficial effects such as..
Appetite suppression, improving bone density, blood sugar regulation among others.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of information about THCV and all that we can offer you is what we've been able to glean between various online articles. Many were anecdotal, contradictory, vague or outright confusing.
With this in mind we will do our best to bring forth the most accurate information possible.
We hope to give you a clearer picture once we've harvested and tried it.

Shed and I dropped our seeds last Thursday and they both came up yesterday.

My Varin sprout yesterday.
And here she is today.

I went ahead and grabbed Shed's too.
These are pics are both day #1 before and after planting.

So grab a seat and let's have a chat!

A special thank you to @InTheShed for growing along with me. Thank you for being a fantastic mentor and friend.
wow i'm gonna follow along here this strain sounds really interesting!

Hey y'all.

I've been busy with some urgent family related issues.
I did manage to carve out a little time now before bed.

I harvested the Varin on Friday. My oldest son was up to help me harvest my Peppermint Kush ,so we thought we'd just get it over with.
I jarred her up on Sunday morning. I did a wet trim using my bowl trimmer so I lost a few foxtails. I'll be using the trim to make dry ice kief soon so nothing goes to waste.

Her hygrometer was reading at 61% today so I took a weight on her.

162.6 gr =5.73oz
Not bad for a little three foot plant.
I haven't tried her yet as she smells really green. I plan on waiting at least a week before I sample her. After I do I will stop back and give my initial thoughts.
Thank you all who weighed in on her but in the end it would have been harder on me to harvest my two gals by myself. I jump at the chance for help these days.

I'll get back here and address the quotes tomorrow after I've had a little sleep. Haven't had much of that lately.

Highya VG,

5.73 oz looks very nice for the ordeal you,ve been through! I hope the smoke report hits you hard, enjoyable! Looking forward to your smoke report! Happy Smokin'

Hi VG good to hear your feeling better today :) I see cloudy no amber but that is me and would probably be good to go at this. She Looks Great even if not been attended to the way you would like to have . :goodjob:
Thanks Smokes.

The @Prescription Blend worked it's magic. I didn't have to do a lot with this plant at all.
That will come in hand for the next round. I imagine that I will be just as busy , if not more in the coming months.
I'm thinking you should chop when you think it is ready. But leave 1/3 of the plant to continue to mature for at least a couple more weeks. Then you can compare the effects mote appropriately to find your happy place with it. It adds to the pain of having multiple harvests drying and curing at different times though. I am clutter brained so doing what I suggested is difficult for me to accomplish with good results. I tried it last year with my outdoor GSC, and I'm glad I did.
Normally I would consider harvesting in stages and it's certainly something that I've done in the past but I have space issues right now. Aside from my many cannabis plants I also have veggie seedlings and flower sprouts that I have to consider...and houseplants. Can't forget those guys.
Yup. It's a bit crammed in here.

Wow! Looking really good!
I’m just gonna say it because I see it here a lot - maybe another week. LOL!
Kidding!
Very close for sure.
Thanks for the input.
I looked at her a bit more before I chopped her and saw quite a bit more amber. I think I harvested her at a good time.
She would have foxtailed for eternity. Lol
I'm happy you're feeling better, VG. Two weeks is a very long time to have a headache. I had severe ribcage pain in 2008 and I told Felonious that if this was the way I was going to feel for the rest of my life, then I hoped it wasn't a long one. :hug:

I think the DV looks good to harvest. I don't see many clear if any.
My headaches are almost gone. I have a faint remnant but that is tied directly to my nerves in my neck. It's tolerable now.

Yeah. I didn't see many clear trichs. More amber than clear.
Glad you're feeling better enough today to get the harvests done... that's always a good sign!

And while we wait for the harvest pics, my DV got down to 62% RH so I thought I'd weigh it before it gets any dryer:
20220422_091204.jpg

That's 247g (8.7 oz), which works out to 1.6g/day. Not bad for an off-season grow!
Nice job , Sheddy!!:slide:
Not bad at all.

Thanks for doing this with me. It was an honor to be able to grow with you.

:yahoo:Now thats great news. I hope the sun is shining there, and you get to enjoy some of it:).

Your trichome shots are just gibbery jaw smacking sticky yumminess!!
Lol..
It's hard for me to get good pics. I'm a bit shaky. I could really use a tripod.
I think that would make all the difference.
It seems that the lists of wants and needs for growing cannabis seldom ends.
Hi @Virgin Ground sorry you are having such a hard time with pain management and the impacts of that on your family life. Your plant is beautiful and amazing, good luck for the harvest!
Thanks for stopping by Carmen.
I've had chronic pain for years. It usually isn't quite this bad though.
It's been a cruddy couple of weeks. Hopefully I'll have a good respite before it inevitably happens again.
All part of my life...

The harvest went really well. Thanks.

:ciao: VG! So sorry you’ve been under the weather. A headache for two weeks is just awful. :hug:
Your DV is gorgeous (as is the PK). If she’s still drinking then…? My Blueberry was still drinking pretty well, but I finally said “enough” because I had a next round coming. She got so fat while I waited though. :cheesygrinsmiley: I guess it might be a kinda hard choice with the DV since things changed wrt the specs in the middle of your grow. I don’t think it would hurt to let her go or to chippity chop! How’s that for being non-committal?!:laughtwo:
Both the PK and DV slowed their drinking way down. I wouldn't have pulled her if she was still gobbling up the nutes.

The surprise of WSE pulling the DV was initially a shock. I just had to put it into perspective. I still have a chance to find a good pheno that works for me. I don't necessarily need to know the testing amounts either. It's not like I've tested any of my other plants either.
I'm sure a fair amount of them are not going to test out like they are described either. At the same time I can understand people being a bit more picky about a specialty strain that's so high in THCV. These folks are looking for very specific medical strains and not just a feel good recreational strain.

wow i'm gonna follow along here this strain sounds really interesting!
Thanks for coming by. We are close to wrapping this up but feel free to go back and look around. We will come back to answer any questions you may have.
Congrats on the harvests! How do you dry that it gets in the jar within a couple days?! :thedoubletake:
Another vote for a bowl trimmer it seems. Wet or dry trim?
I wet trim with a bowl trimmer and then place them in a zippered mesh rack to dry in my closet. I have a good circulation fan in there.
These dried a bit faster initially due to higher temps than I would like. I was able to slow it down at the end by dropping the temp.
I place them in jars and burp until I see the correct rh%.
The mesh really cuts down on drying time.
Noice vg! Looking at a good harvest. Kudos to your son for helping you out. Cant wait to hear about the smoke report!
Thanks!
My son...
He's a good, helpful and thoughtful soul. I'm truly blessed.
Sometimes they turn out great, despite iffy parenting.
Highya VG,

5.73 oz looks very nice for the ordeal you,ve been through! I hope the smoke report hits you hard, enjoyable! Looking forward to your smoke report! Happy Smokin'
It really isn't a bad haul. She's slightly airy in the buds being a full sativa.
I'm definitely looking forward to sampling the DV this coming weekend.
I should give her at least that long to off gas some of the chlorophyll.
I'll smoke her for at least one day exclusively so I can get a good feel for her.

Hell Yes for that size plant , Good harvest . Glad you got the help (that's what there there for ) LOL
Highya Smokes.

I hope the rest of my kids end up being as helpful as that one. Fingers crossed,knock on wood...lawd help me Lol.

It's nice to have my jars filled up once more.

Congrats on your harvests, VG. I hope the smoke reports for both are favourable.
I tried the PK.
She's nice right from harvest. Gotta wait a bit on this one though.
I've heard good reviews from two other people now so I'm hoping to experience something similar with mine.
Sweet haul VG! Sorry to hear about the fam issues but I hope you managed to get them sorted. Also sorry that you're still in long pants, but spring should be up that way soon enough!
Fam issues are still there. Just taking that one day at a time.
Waiting for an update.

Those are my pajamas! I wear those darn near year 'round.
It's spring enough that I can sow my cold crops. I should get on that.

Geez Sheddy.
I finally saw your post last night. I feel awful about it.
Sorry to leave you hanging for so long.
I hope that we can grow together again as well. :love:

I finally tried the Varin.

Not much in the way of taste. She doesn't particularly stand out as being unique there.
The smoke was smooth with little throat hit.
I did use her while I was doing yardwork yesterday and she was a fantastic motivational strain. I had lots of energy and was in a pretty good mood despite the fact of what I was doing.
I did not get the munchies but when I'm active I generally don't eat a lot.
I'll have to try it on a lazier day when I'm just hanging out and watching TV or something. I'll have a better idea after that.

Never feel awful about that stuff, we're good. :love:

Nice to hear the DV made yardwork less of a chore! Even if that's all it does it sounds like it has a spot near the back door. :thumb:
I'll use her up no problem.
Kid really seems to like her too. He said she was pretty great for hiking/mushroom hunting.

Well, that's disappointing. I wonder what @Melville Hobbes' s results will show.
I'll let you know as soon as they send me the results. They're full of excuses right now.
Looks like I might get a free potency test or two this Autumn though.

Thanks for doing the test , Shed.

I gotta say that I'm a bit disappointed.
I don't have the wherewithal to do a test myself but can't imagine that mine would be much better.

Glad that they pulled it too. Hopefully another high THCV strain will pop up in the future.

Back
Top Bottom