LED Jack Herer Experiment

Sativa1970

This is a comparison of my budget built lights vs an actual LED grow light. Previous journal was just to prove it can be done. Trying to keep all variables the same except the light spectrum rendering.

Grow Specs;
Jack Herer - Original Harvest seed bank, Fourth gen clone of previous journal
DWC 4 gallon veg, 15gallon flower.
Dyna-grow nutrient
Clone placed in DWC 12/18/21 with 1 inch roots out of the rockwool cube.

Budget light = 9@100wat equivalent 3200k A2 LED light bulbs - actual draw 117wats
New light = Viparspectra P1000wat - actual draw 103wats
I chose this light for my experiment because it was close to the same wattage.

I have run 3 generations now under the budget lights to get a base line. All took 10 weeks from DWC transplant to 24 inches in veg. My first cutting didn't survive a cold snap from 75F to 30F over night and I didn't think to turn on heaters yet. Heaters are now on but this was taken in early flower so it will have to revert veg. My average harvest was 5.25 quarts at 6oz. I measured weight and volume to determine bud density. The 3rd gen is still drying but will most likely be the closest apples to apples comparison without the strain learning curve skewing numbers.

First pic is the new clone. For comparison third and fourth are the 3rd gen frost and just before chop pics. Had already hung the new light for the last day chop pic. Fourth pic is the DIY lights.

jack2.jpg

Jack 3.0 bud.jpg

jack3.0 harvest.jpg

thumbnail.jpg3.jpg

This is a comparison of my budget built lights vs an actual LED grow light. Previous journal was just to prove it can be done. Trying to keep all variables the same except the light spectrum rendering.

Grow Specs;
Jack Herer - Original Harvest seed bank, Fourth gen clone of previous journal
DWC 4 gallon veg, 15gallon flower.
Dyna-grow nutrient
Clone placed in DWC 12/18/21 with 1 inch roots out of the rockwool cube.

Budget light = 9@100wat equivalent 3200k A2 LED light bulbs - actual draw 117wats
New light = Viparspectra P1000wat - actual draw 103wats
I chose this light for my experiment because it was close to the same wattage.

I have run 3 generations now under the budget lights to get a base line. All took 10 weeks from DWC transplant to 24 inches in veg. My first cutting didn't survive a cold snap from 75F to 30F over night and I didn't think to turn on heaters yet. Heaters are now on but this was taken in early flower so it will have to revert veg. My average harvest was 5.25 quarts at 6oz. I measured weight and volume to determine bud density. The 3rd gen is still drying but will most likely be the closest apples to apples comparison without the strain learning curve skewing numbers.

First pic is the new clone. For comparison third and fourth are the 3rd gen frost and just before chop pics. Had already hung the new light for the last day chop pic. Fourth pic is the DIY lights.

jack2.jpg

Jack 3.0 bud.jpg

jack3.0 harvest.jpg

thumbnail.jpg3.jpg
Hey @Sativa1970 I love Jack great strain. :thumb:
She is a bushy one.
Glad you started another journal. :popcorn:

Stay safe
Bill

Moderators changed the tittle but still not really sure why and haven't had a response from them. They stated; You are not allowed to compare products if one is a sponsor and you "represent" another product. You can not refer to another source, thread or journal containing competitors product for comparison. So do not compare this to my other journal in my signature... :passitleft: legal department satisfied, back to the journal.

Day 7 in hydro

First white root dropping out of the basket. Apparently I scrubbed the old roots out of the inside but not the outside of this basket last time. Thinned her out a little bit to get some light and air in now that she is drinking from the res. Grew from two inches tall to four inches in the last week and side branches are reaching out.

day7 roots.jpg

day7 jack.jpg

pruned jack D7.jpg

She is up to 6.5 inches tall at the top node. Leaves are praying nicely to the light. Been thinning out the bottom 1/3 of each branch. Found this strain reacts well to that approach. It absolutely hated being toped in my experience. Same final weight roughly but both attempts at topping left me with a lot of nickel size buds.

I donated one of my DIY lights but still have one DIY and another viparspectra P1000 in a box. Also have 2 lambs Bread clones ready for flower. I may do a side by side Lambs Bread flower. One plant is 24 inches and the other is 20 inches. Should I stagger the flower start so they are the exact same size or flip both so they are a direct side by side and trim lower branches so they have equal number of nodes?

1.9 jack.jpg

She is up to 6.5 inches tall at the top node. Leaves are praying nicely to the light. Been thinning out the bottom 1/3 of each branch. Found this strain reacts well to that approach. It absolutely hated being toped in my experience. Same final weight roughly but both attempts at topping left me with a lot of nickel size buds.

I donated one of my DIY lights but still have one DIY and another viparspectra P1000 in a box. Also have 2 lambs Bread clones ready for flower. I may do a side by side Lambs Bread flower. One plant is 24 inches and the other is 20 inches. Should I stagger the flower start so they are the exact same size or flip both so they are a direct side by side and trim lower branches so they have equal number of nodes?

1.9 jack.jpg
That's a perfect little lady.
Sitting up praying.
She could be the poster child in the how thread. :thumb:
Hope you are well my friend.

Stay safe
Bill

She could be the poster child in the how thread. :thumb:
Hope you are well my friend.
Thank you for the compliment Bill.

First, I keep forgetting to ask. Do you have an ETA on your new "room"?

Second. I started growing this strain to help my wife with asthma, migraines, and cramps. It worked great. Gave it to some friends and family with chronic respiratory issues and they all said it worked wonders for them. The early harvesting yields the vary low THC so works without any real euphoria.

Three of them have called in the last day or two telling me they just recovered from covid. They all said their rescue inhalers were not helping but the Jack immediately allowed them to breath again and lessened the body aches. So I dropped some outside the front door of another friends house after hearing they were infected. Same results.

I feel this is information that should be shared. I don't know IF or where I should post this on this sight. You have been on here longer than me so what is your opinion?

Thanks

Thank you for the compliment Bill.

First, I keep forgetting to ask. Do you have an ETA on your new "room"?

Second. I started growing this strain to help my wife with asthma, migraines, and cramps. It worked great. Gave it to some friends and family with chronic respiratory issues and they all said it worked wonders for them. The early harvesting yields the vary low THC so works without any real euphoria.

Three of them have called in the last day or two telling me they just recovered from covid. They all said their rescue inhalers were not helping but the Jack immediately allowed them to breath again and lessened the body aches. So I dropped some outside the front door of another friends house after hearing they were infected. Same results.

I feel this is information that should be shared. I don't know IF or where I should post this on this sight. You have been on here longer than me so what is your opinion?

Thanks
Hey @sativa19im so glad it helps.
It'll be spring now.
Was too late in the fall and now there is too much snow to start building.
Here are a couple links to choose from my friend.

Hope that helps.

Stay safe
Bill

This is actually last weekends update 1/15. When I tried to upload the attachments I kept getting an error saying the file was too large. I have done nothing different but now it appears to work. The covid fairy visited our house this past week so I was in no mood to mess with it. Everyone is recovering and even started remodeling the grow room yesterday.

PH and PPM are holding stable. Res is a gallon or two low. She was 8.5 inches tall. The vegetation is vary dense compared to the DIY lighting grows. Without weekly thinning it would choke itself out.

Shaggy.jpg

Thin top.jpg

Haircutjpg.jpg

Hey @Sativa1970

Mind if I pull up a chair? I've been wanting to follow one of your grows.

You seem to know a lot on hydro, which is a passion of sorts for me. And I'd love to follow along!

This is actually last weekends update 1/15. When I tried to upload the attachments I kept getting an error saying the file was too large. I have done nothing different but now it appears to work. The covid fairy visited our house this past week so I was in no mood to mess with it. Everyone is recovering and even started remodeling the grow room yesterday.

PH and PPM are holding stable. Res is a gallon or two low. She was 8.5 inches tall. The vegetation is vary dense compared to the DIY lighting grows. Without weekly thinning it would choke itself out.

Shaggy.jpg

Thin top.jpg

Haircutjpg.jpg
Beautiful lady my friend @Sativa1970
Growing really well. :thumb:
Are they a little light in color or is that just the the lighting? :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

You weren't supposed to notice that Bill. The light green color is the lighting. I had been running the light at 75% and just kicked it up to 100% in these pics. Had it dialed back so it wouldn't stress/burn while it was rooting in and honestly, I forgot.

Welcome Rexer. I've reached a point that I have plenty of inventory so I can have fun experimenting. I started for my own pain management Everything else I grow is donated to people with medical needs. Most of them want to be self sufficient so I am trying to find a cheap, low maintenance, reliable method people with a black thumb can use.

Welcome Rexer. I've reached a point that I have plenty of inventory so I can have fun experimenting. I started for my own pain management Everything else I grow is donated to people with medical needs. Most of them want to be self sufficient so I am trying to find a cheap, low maintenance, reliable method people with a black thumb can use.
Thanks Sativa1970!

I can't wait to be in your situation :). I need to start growing more plants, or smoking less (which isn't really an option).
I use mine as part of my pain management regimen as well, so tolerance breaks aren't even an option!

What nutes are you using?

I use dynagrow vegative or flower. There are better choices out there for performance but it is cheap,available locally and easy to use. Just add It to cabon filtered water. My local water is 80 ppm cal.mag. and 120ppm total.Rino skin silicate during the stretch to keep stems strong.

Now 12 inches tall at 4 and a half weeks. 7 weeks was the previous veg time to reach 20 inches. Res was down to less than a gallon left. It was still holding Ph upper 5s. PPM dropped from 210 to 190. Dumped and clean the res since it was all but empty. Set PPM to 240 PH 6 since this is when she normally starts eating a little more.

Moved her into the veg closet and pulled the Lambs bread into the flower room. I had planed to do the Lambs Bread flower journal side by side with the two different lights. Took the two lower branches from the same plant cloned and veg under the same light fixture. Of course one grew tall and lanky while the other is short and bushy just to screw my plans.

jan22jack.jpg

jan22jack2.jpg

jan22jackroots.jpg

Transferred her into one of my missing black buckets. Topped up with 1/2 gallon water in the swap. PPM dropped to 230, PH holding at 6. She is 14.5 inches tall. No pruning this week. She grew a little too close to the light and burnt a few tips but inly 1/8 inch maybe.

Already see one notable difference. She is much stockier with branches like tree trunks. This is a side branch 1.5 inches from the tip that is 1/4 inch thick.

I have abandoned the side by side lambs bread clone journal plans. Both plants flowered in just 3 days 12/12 but the short, bushy plant decided to then turn droopy. I have no idea why. It perked back up on its own two days latter. It won't be an equal comparison of lights so no point in posting the results with them being so different other than the lights. Maybe the next clones.

jack2.png

jackroot2.jpg

side branch.jpg

messuredside.jpg

She is now 17.5 inches tall on day 45. Previous grows under the DIY light averaged 20 inches on day 50 so the growth rate is on par. Nodes are tighter packed with the vipar light but I don't have an average count on total nodes from previous grows for comparison. It looks like the same number but closer together so indicates less reaching for light.

The third picture shows how much old growth I have been removing each week to keep air flow through her.

I will be taking clones this weekend and most likely moving her to flower by next weekend.

20220204_174539.jpg

20220204_174526.jpg

20220202_124526.jpg

Looking good! Maybe time to do some LST to even out the canopy a little maybe though.

The center is completely open with the lower 3rd of each branch trimmed. The last three clones I did more of a sudo lollipop prune with consistently good results. I want to limit any variables other than the light spectrum on this grow. Took my clone cuttings yesterday so definitely will be getting creative with them.

I experimented with topping on the mother of this plant. The new branches only produced small sparse buds. The untouched tops had twice the bud develop. Something in the genetics I guess. Maybe branch bending? Not sure what to try with this one next. It grows so fast that I can loose a harvest and still keep up with my needs for this strain. That's why it is great for experiments.

Back
Top Bottom