Welcome To The Jungle

Welcome to the (soon-to-be) Jungle
Hey 420 community and everyone else who may be tuning in.

Ace Ventura delivered this package the other day so I thought I'd best check the light before starting this journal which is why we will start here with the unboxing. The light arrived undamaged. That would have been embarrassing....

So, that is the light, question is, what am I going to do with it? Well, here is my plan.

I'm going to grow some cannabis with it!

That's it, though I suppose I should probably go into it in a little more detail.
I have been gifted some seeds from a friend which we will be running for this journal. They are some original creations and have some impressive genetics.
Here they are in the old environment under a 100w floodlight....

Here is the light which I have been using for several years. It does the job but it's very hot and is unlikely to be even close to being efficient. I'll be dropping you off at the recycling centre next time I'm passing....

That's better. The temperature has dropped and the light is so much brighter....

Here are the seedlings which I started already under the old light. I didn't realise I would be doing this journal when I started the seeds which is why I didn't wait....

There are some more on the way as not all of them germinated but I'm only looking for one each of the four strains to run in the grow. Also, they are regs so the males will be culled. I have more seeds so if I like what I find then we can try something else in the future and perhaps use them for making some seeds.
So, here is a closer look at the seedlings which are looking a little leggy because of the light we were using for germination.

BBTK (Black Banana x Triangle Kush).
The Black Banana is an original creation and is Banana Peel x Black Triangle. I think I've got that right. If not then I'll update in the future. Only one of these germinated so I planted some more and since this pic was taken two more have arrived....

Sunset Sherbet (Cookie Fam Cut) x BBTK.
This one has a seed which contained twins though there was also one which was a bit of a runt. Most are good though....

Highbite x BBTK.
The Highbite is another original creation and is (Thin Mint GSC x Animal Cookies) X (WiFi OG x Black Triangle). These are wanting to grow and just couldn't wait to be bathed in the XS1000's high quality light....

WiFi OG x BBTK.
Finally we have this tasty sounding creation. These seedlings are mostly good. A couple are flying and a couple are a bit smaller but all germed....

So, we will let the seedlings get comfortable and grow a little bit more before we then separate and get them their own pots. This round will be grown using my own soil as a medium and MegaCrop as a nutrient source. I'm not sure about pot sizes or any of the finer details regarding late veg and flowering but we'll work that out as we go. For now we are growing in a small 40cm x 40cm tent and will relocate as soon as their is some space available in the 60cm x 80cm closet which is where the plants will be flowered.

I'd like to thank @ViparSpectra for this opportunity and also for supporting the 420 community with their hard work. Thanks guys!

It's time to sit back and check out just what this light can do.
Hopefully we will get a good turnout and have a but of fun while learning a thing or two along the way.
For now though it's happy growing everyone.

:passitleft: :passitleft: :passitleft:

I just picked up 2 Viparspectra's: p600 and p1000 for my new grow beginning in a couple weeks. I'm also going to be using MegaCrop.. should be a good comparison.
Thanks for stopping by, Renaissance Man.
We should be able to grow some great plants with these lights. The Pro series looks fantastic so I'm interested to see what you do with them.
I have seen fellow member @VetSmoke85 grow using the XS1000 and the results look really good so I'm pretty excited to give these lights a workout.

Hey Prof,

Count me in- the ViparSpectra lights are surprisingly solidly built (compared to some other brands) I look forward to seeing you put the light through the paces.

:popcorn: I'm in dude. Nice little lights aren't they.
Good to have you, Vet.

They are indeed and they are really bright too. I have mine turned down to just below 50% and the seedlings are loving it. They've been under it for around 48 hours now and there is already a noticeable difference.
Hey Prof,

Count me in- the ViparSpectra lights are surprisingly solidly built (compared to some other brands) I look forward to seeing you put the light through the paces.
Hey Rexer.

I agree. I have a Spider Farmer SP1000 which I use but don't talk about as a it's a non sponsor. My overall impressions of it are that it's ok but is underpowered and feels a bit flimsy. It feels like it could be easily damaged if handled roughly whereas you simply don't get that with the XS.
I think (know) that the XS will blow the SP out of the water.
Pleased to have you oldmanjj. Welcome to the show.

:passitleft: :passitleft: :passitleft:

missing something, whars your tent dimensions. please?
Hey, jecka.

Currently the seedlings are in a 40cm x 40cm x 100cm tent. They will be moved to a 60cm x 80cm tent as soon as it becomes available which should be in a few weeks.

Hey 420.

So, this is our first update on the light and the seedlings and I can safely say that I am impressed with what I have seen. In the first update the seedlings were leggy and a bit stretched. They were also growing a little bit slowly and although they weren't a bad shade of green, they were a little bit pale. All that has changed and after being under the XS1000 for just 3 days there is noticeable improvement....
DSC01103.JPG

They look so much better and have picked up the pace. One of my early concerns was that the seedlings were going to fall over as some had become too tall and were leaning on their neighbours. Today they are all standing unsupported and the stems have become much sturdier already.
The other noticeable thing is the colour. We have verdancy. The seedlings just look fantastic and I know know that I will be dividing them up sooner rather than later.

The lead BBTK....
DSC01104.JPG

The new BBTK's....
DSC01109.JPG

The Highbite x BBTK. These were the really wonky ones but now they're like meerkats....
DSC01105.JPG

The Sunset Sherbet x BBTK. There were a couple runty looking ones in here but they seem ok to me now. The twins are still doing good too....
DSC01107.JPG

The WiFi OG x BBTK. A bit like the previous. Looking good.....
DSC01106.JPG

So that's the plants. What else has the light impressed me with? Well, temperature is definitely worth talking about.
It's low. Really low. I mean, low for a 100w device which can illuminate a room as much as it does. I can literally seal up my tent with the light on and the plants would be good. I'm not going to do that as airflow is important, trust me, I know, but it's something which simply isn't possible with most of my lights.

I'm really looking forward to getting the light into a larger space and seeing how it performs on larger plants. It may seem obvious that it will perform absolutely fine but I do have several lights that really struggle with penetration (leave it) including the SP1000 and the powerful 200w COB's.

Well, that's it for this little update. Things will start to wake up and become that little bit more exciting soon, I promise. For now though I suggest checking out ViparSpectra's website and having a look at some of their fantastic lights and equipment.

That's it for me for this evening. Happy growing everyone.
:passitleft:

Quite the turnaround Professor! And I see you have some weeds growing in with your weed. Will you beekeeping the strongest of those too?
Lol. Depends what they are. Might get some nice cucumbers from them.

Damn! Look at the plants I used to grow. Also, that is one hell of a root!

Back
Top Bottom