Virgin Ground And The Little Star Asterion

it’s wonderful to see that great result with no pruning or defoliation or ‘poking’ at the plant :D (says the woman who dropped one yesterday! :eek:).
getting into that zone really has an impact. If the plant can transpire just how it needs to all the time, then it powers!

Last year, during a discussion about pruning @Coloradokid19 shared a nice quick reference guide about the effects of pruning on root growth. It comes from agricultural research so is general info, not specific to cannabis. I assume it applies.

9AEC1CC4-E691-4684-8581-3B48ECDDD64A.jpeg

5F27A617-39FE-4805-9C18-1E5E9F39EFBB.jpeg

They are slides from a seminar on soil health - roots help to maintain soil health. If anyone’s interested in the video let me know and ill link it.
:Namaste:
I would like to see that video.
Pretty please???

Highya VG, Amy G, guys,

I'm impressed with the info in that post, Amy. Great info, as I'm always concerned about root growth (can't see roots in the ground). I'm not a fan of stripping leaves either. In the fall when the buds are swelling the most, all the fan leaves turn yellow (giving up nutrients to make more bud), and fall off. I spray with lactobacillus and organic nutes at least once a week, and apply actively aerated compost teaabout every 10 days. With all that feeding, the buds still need the nutrients stored in the leaves. That's why I don't like stripping the fan leaves. And I'd like to see the video also. Happy Smokin'

Hehe - I nearly included it the first time.

i’ll just dump my original post :)

I went looking and found that the seminar mentioned in the post is on the Tube. The seminar is loosely connected to an agricultural product that is designed to help repopulate depleted agricultural soils but mostly it is just really good discussion about soil health and food quality etc. I’ll drop the video here. It’s very long so I’m not expecting anyone to watch it all, unless of course you’re like me ;) I’m watching it in 20 minutes blocks, am about 1/3 of the way through so haven’t seen the bit where she discuss those actual slides yet, but they’re in there somewhere. :nerd-with-glasses:

:Namaste:

It’s about an hour in. Mostly it’s aimed at talking to agriculture about living soils. :love: If you have time, watch it all! It’s great! :nerd-with-glasses:

The short answer is....none.
That is good lighting, food, environment and genetics, all coming together.

I did not train them at all. No topping , no lst. I read an article about how plants hate being touched so I handled mine as little as possible. Every few days I would give the plant 1/4 turn . Ran her at 11/13 to make sure she was given enough time to process her sugars.That is it. Left all her leaves. Never did a leaf strip.
I'm not a big fan of removing fans.
My Ammy was a dense and very leafy plant. Very little light got to her lowers. Despite this she grew really dense. Her popcorn buds are the same way.
That's really impressive. I was assuming you'd done something to get that compact shape that was full of colas, that without training it would be more of a 'christmas tree' shape. I guess the genetics of the plant is just shorter and more compact. On my recent grow I quadlined, supercropped and LST'd my plants to keep their canopies low and wide primarily for stealth reasons, that was all done with a single cut (the initial topping). I have been thinking for my next grow about how I can achieve something that looked like your plant, where the colas have no unnecessary length, perhaps by multi topping in a manifold style, so when I saw your's I thought, yep that's it, I need to train like that, haha, I guess the genetics of my plants is they grow out and up a lot more.

Last year, during a discussion about pruning @Coloradokid19 shared a nice quick reference guide about the effects of pruning on root growth. It comes from agricultural research so is general info, not specific to cannabis. I assume it applies.
Thanks for posting that Amy, it is very interesting.

That's really impressive. I was assuming you'd done something to get that compact shape that was full of colas, that without training it would be more of a 'christmas tree' shape. I guess the genetics of the plant is just shorter and more compact. On my recent grow I quadlined, supercropped and LST'd my plants to keep their canopies low and wide primarily for stealth reasons, that was all done with a single cut (the initial topping). I have been thinking for my next grow about how I can achieve something that looked like your plant, where the colas have no unnecessary length, perhaps by multi topping in a manifold style, so when I saw your's I thought, yep that's it, I need to train like that, haha, I guess the genetics of my plants is they grow out and up a lot more.

Thanks for posting that Amy, it is very interesting.
I do use a 7000k light from sprout to 2 weeks old. They get short and stocky from it with tight node spacing.
Then I switch to my 3500k.
Very well that your light has a lot of red and not much blue. Red will make your plants stretch and grow upward and grow larger leaves. Lights with more blue give you a wider spread with smaller leaves and shorter plants.

I do use a 7000k light from sprout to 2 weeks old. They get short and stocky from it with tight node spacing.
Very well that your light has a lot of red and not much blue. Red will make your plants stretch and grow upward and grow larger leaves. Lights with more blue give you a wider spread with smaller leaves and shorter plants.
That's very interesting, altho I grow outdoors where there's not much choice of light bulbs. But thanks anyway!:hookah:

I didn't screw up!!
That's a nice feeling:cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks lady. Lol
I'm pretty happy with this harvest so far. Just worried about that Ammy going moldy on me.

Thanks Boo.
I worked very hard at not touching or overfeeding them.
Pro Mix and MC are just too easy together.
I feel spoiled and lazy.:laughtwo:
I have been thinking about your response all day. First, because I am excited to start a new grow with Pro Mix and MC when my new seeds come - and will use your Journal as a reference, so I selfishly thank you! Second, because you, and others like you, deserve to finally have an easier way to grow this weed after working so hard to figure it out for newbies like me and many others! Thank you again for that! Bask in feeling spoiled and lazy - you earned it! :love:

VG, speaking about autos. Do you have any thoughts on container size? I would only count one of my four autos as being grown in “normal” conditions and it is in a 2 gallon pot - it looks so much more like what I have been seeing posted here from experienced growers. I have one other in a 3 gallon pot and it is about a foot taller but is nowhere near as stacked and “normal” looking as the other ( it was grown in a shittier environment up until recently). I ask because I’m onboard with growing another set of autos outside since I still have time, but I think outdoor growing likely has some slightly different challenges/needs and I’d like to get ahead of them if possible. I have several questions about lights wrt the photos I supercropped and will be cramming into my new tent soon...maybe? I will post that in my journal!

I have been thinking about your response all day. First, because I am excited to start a new grow with Pro Mix and MC when my new seeds come - and will use your Journal as a reference, so I selfishly thank you! Second, because you, and others like you, deserve to finally have an easier way to grow this weed after working so hard to figure it out for newbies like me and many others! Thank you again for that! Bask in feeling spoiled and lazy - you earned it! :love:
Omg

S

sounds like a torture chamber! I felt kinda guilty about getting such satisfaction about my supercropping - the fact that they all survived it helped!
VG, speaking about autos. Do you have any thoughts on container size? I would only count one of my four autos as being grown in “normal” conditions and it is in a 2 gallon pot - it looks so much more like what I have been seeing posted here from experienced growers. I have one other in a 3 gallon pot and it is about a foot taller but is nowhere near as stacked and “normal” looking as the other ( it was grown in a shittier environment up until recently). I ask because I’m onboard with growing another set of autos outside since I still have time, but I think outdoor growing likely has some slightly different challenges/needs and I’d like to get ahead of them if possible. I have several questions about lights wrt the photos I supercropped and will be cramming into my new tent soon...maybe? I will post that in my journal!
Highya Boo.
I really can't beat the MC and Pro Mix combo. It is too easy use and cheap to ignore.
When my kid starts growing he will no doubt be using it too.

My super dupercrop is doing well. Her tips turned up just enough to get her into the tent. Now I have to flip her asap.
I have cropped a few branches on a few plants. Never have I done an entire plant before.
It is weird going from an auto grow that was very hands off to extreme training a photo.
I'll get the hang of this perpetual thing yet. Lol

On the subject of pots.
I read over and over and was flat out told that anything over a 3 gallon is a waste for autos.
My DDA and Ammy filled up a 5 gallon no problem. My little DDA probably would have too but she was transplanted really late and went into flower immediately. It was actually a good thing. No way that I could have fit 3 plants of that size in my little 2x4 tent.
That being said, I've only run one grow with autoflowers so I'm hardly an sort of expert.
Perhaps I was just lucky?

Hiya Vg caught up again!
Congrats on your harvest of your autos! The Amnesia Ryder definitely looks like POTM contender,my eye is drawn to those Dda's just love those purple buds.

My vote is for Red Dragon and Peyote Critical because you can't go wrong with Barneys!
Perhaps I was just lucky?
I don't think luck had anything to do with it. :love:

Hiya Vg caught up again!
Congrats on your harvest of your autos! The Amnesia Ryder definitely looks like POTM contender,my eye is drawn to those Dda's just love those purple buds.

My vote is for Red Dragon and Peyote Critical because you can't go wrong with Barneys!

I don't think luck had anything to do with it. :love:
How about I put you down for Red Diesel? Lol
Going to choose today and drop those beans.
I'll seperate the sativas and indicas and draw.
Looked at the DDA last night and they dried really dark, almost black. That was under artificial light. I'll snap a pic of it under daylight.
It looks so alien to me. We don't get colorful black market buds around here.
If that Ammy smokes well, I'll be grabbing more of those seeds. I know it's still a crapshoot as to what I'll really get since so much time has passed since these were produced.
Damn VG, bout time you got up... don’t you know more people die in bed than anywhere? You must’ve slept like the dead, hope it was restful!!!

:passitleft:

we are waking & baking whilst thinking about bacon!
I fell asleep really early last night. I was exhausted. I have been up since 4am though. I made coffee, rolled a J and watched the stars fade into the dawn. I really enjoy any alone time that I get so I wake up 4 hours before my family does.

Ditto regarding luck! Maybe I will do a little test on pot sizes my next grow. Thing is, those 5 gal pots are cumbersome and I’m height challenged so the smaller pots are helpful for the watering “lift”. ;)
When you say watering "lift" are you referring to lifting to check if they need watering or do you remove your plants from the tent to inspect and water them?

I just tip my big containers with one hand. If I can move it without too much effort, it's time to water.
I can't pick up anything bigger than a fully saturated 3 gallon and that is pushing it for me.

Here is the count so far.
Buttercup requested Red Diesel and Northern Lights. My choices were RQS Crit and A. Meltdown, she's a bit of a wildcard. Gotta inject some crazy into the game.

I wonder if @Pennywise and@ProfessorFlora would like to weigh in? See list on the following post.

Super Skunk. -1
Ammy Haze. -3
Peyote Crit. -4
Kalashnikov. -2
Black Domina. -2
Afghani #1. -1
Sour D. -3
Red Diesel. -2
N. Lights. -1
RQS Crit. -1
A. Meltdown. -1

Anyone else who hasn't weighed in is welcome to do so.
Here is the list once more.
Autos
AK-48
Kush
Critical Kush

Fems
Northern Lights
RQS Critical
Red Diesel
Peyote Critical
Peppermint Kush
White Widow
Amnesia
Kalashnikov
Og Kush
Afghani#1
Sour Diesel
Super Skunk
Alaska Purple
Frisian Dew
Black Domina
Amnesia Haze
African Meltdown

Highya VG,

And maybe it was your desire to become a better husbandwoman (haha) by doing things as best as you could, and that alone could be why they came out so well. Happy Wonderin'

Back
Top Bottom