Vladimir's - Coco - Acapulco Gold - Flux - CMH 150W

High Lexort :passitleft:

High Miller :passitleft:

So the great debate continues. Well now I have a small pile of newish bulbs sitting in storage because of this debacle.

I've decided it's nearing time to throw the bonsai into flower in about a week or so. I will be employing the 400W super hps.
Finally I see no reason to buy special HPS bulbs like the Ushio with added blue or whatever, it seems to me we are just buying over priced garage lights because HPS light can not be altered as effectively as halide light.

Anyway I think I've said the CMH thing is cancelled, I've been reading a massive thread of 700 pages on another forum about this whole shenanigans and it just doesn't live up to the hype is what more than one poster who actually employed the bulbs concluded. Many said 1kw HPS had done better in the end.

I know I know, internet is full of b.s. and that's why real Universities are still in business but still, I expected CMH to have a unanimous rave result and it doesn't seem to. So I'm going back to DIY multiband LED solutions. Price is about the same in the end and I don't need to deal with bulbs damaged during delivery, or exploding bulbs when I accidentally do something stupid in its vicinity while it's hot etc. etc....

Maybe pics later :bongrip:

So just out of curiosity what exactly are your goals when it comes to lighting? I ask only because you change lights often and seem to be looking for something particular. Please go easy on me your much more technical then myself lol.

Well indoor growing is in itself an act of compromises.

I've got temp, humidity, food all dialed in now.

I'm changing bulbs because I don't buy horticulture-themed bulbs. I use "garage lights". That being said, each lamp has a different spectrum output, "the colors".
HPS wastes a lot of energy to make "lumens" which plants don't care about.

I just want to grow efficiently without spending $800 on something I believe is a bad investment.

So far my new 400W philips super hps and advance core and coil ran me for $33 total. Unbelievable.

I like to pay for electricity. Need the juice to run the lights so no complaints there. I spend about $30 extra per month on my lights at about 13 cents / kwh

As I had mentioned, this is just my hobby. I would like someday to become an expert through experience and begin a partnership or find a decent contract with a big company.

So yea, no frivolous spending on fancy and whimsical lights until I get to do it with somebody else's money

Vlad's budget rules : DIY or die.
:passitleft:

The plants are growing like champs now so this was the last defoliation and LST for explodey while she grows out a little more before 12/12

IMG_224119.JPG

Look at Xtrasun, nice blue spectrum and their 1K is like $30. However, your hobby garden is looking good CMH or not. I'm thinking you need to run 315 watt over 150 watt to see its advantages.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Look at Xtrasun, nice blue spectrum and their 1K is like $30. However, your hobby garden is looking good CMH or not. I'm thinking you need to run 315 watt over 150 watt to see its advantages.

Cheers

Great Idea sir but an unspoken Vlad rule is no expensive international shipping.

Here is the solution. Going to flower with Philips 400W HPS with some LED side lighting. Harvest, be super happy.
Veg room is installed way before then and plants ready to go to flower when 1st wave is harvested. Semi Perpetual.

Now when that 2nd wave goes to flower it won't be with HPS it will be with full spectrum LED, most likely a few CREE CX3590.
Free shipping takes about ... 3-5 weeks and that's fine for me.
Both "waves" will feature the same clones so I will get a true LED "VS" HPS grow comparison for my records.

It will be a good show :bongrip:

IMG_224419.JPG
IMG_224318.JPG
IMG_224223.JPG

Cheers Rhetorrikz :bongrip:

Aloha HempHog :bongrip:

So I went ahead and decided to take the advice posted earlier on my journal by MillerTime.
Added 30 ppm of chelated magnesium to the core nutrient recipe today and gave emergency watering to all the plants before a mag deficiency epidemic breaks out.

Awesome how that works. Great job Vlad.

K will not burn plants, it saves it when seen in excess.

Redirect Notice

K will not burn plants, it saves it when seen in excess.

Yes, but like VladimirPutin inferred:

So I've added more magnesium and more calcium ...

If the problems still go on then I have to change out my micro-nutrient because it contains massive K and I could simply be overdoing the potassium.

...an excess of potassium can lead to deficiencies in other nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium (, manganese, zinc, iron). Which could, I suppose, lead to chasing one's tail in a circle if the product that one is adding in an attempt to correct such a deficiency... also contains potassium.

Yes, but like VladimirPutin inferred:

...an excess of potassium can lead to deficiencies in other nutrients, such as calcium and magnesium (, manganese, zinc, iron). Which could, I suppose, lead to chasing one's tail in a circle if the product that one is adding in an attempt to correct such a deficiency... also contains potassium.
Maybe you should read the artical first, it explains the roll of K with other nutes. I'm seeing PH drop in tap, bloom nutes are at 5.7 pushing to 6.3 now takes 2.5X normal K on top of std bloom mix. Same issue as Vlad. So I researched how damaging extra K would be, it seems K is a special element in growing, N,P, will not be stored like K, overloading those cause problems. K not so much. Hence the article.

Back
Top Bottom