Voice be heard

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Hilo, Hawaii - On March 6 at the Palace Theater in Hilo, Project Peaceful Skies hosted the Good Medicine Show 2. The concert featured Clan Dyken. The intent of the event was to give exposure to the fact that Hawaii County voters chose to make marijuana enforcement the lowest law enforcement priority in the November 2008 election.

It was also an opportunity to bring a really talented band to the Big Isle.

Hawaii County voters approved the measure 34,957 to 25,464 which effectively created a Hawaii County ordinance. The new ordinance directs local law enforcement to make the investigation, enforcement, and prosecution of certain adult marijuana offenses involving fewer than 24 plants or less than 24 ounces their lowest priority. It remains illegal to sell marijuana on the criminal market, cultivate marijuana on public property, drive while under the influence of marijuana, or be in possession of more than 24 plants or 24 ounces, according to the marijuana policy Web site and the county ordinance.

This was my first time going to a Good Medicine Show. I heard last year’s event was great. There were many friendly people, both young and old, milling around the lobby of The Palace. Some were buying T-shirts, others were looking over pamphlets and information pertaining to Project Peaceful Skies. Overall, the event seemed well-planned and the event in general a good event.

I had a chance to talk with George “Greywolf” Klare, one of the organizers, who offered his perspective on the night.

I was impressed with his thoughtful answers to the questions I had for him. Again, it was a very welcoming, friendly group of people who seemed invested in the rights of their fellow citizens.

Greywolf said in all his many years fighting for the people’s rights on the Big Island, he said there seemed to be a change coming over the island. He said the people’s minds are becoming clearer to what Project Peaceful Skies represents.

The Peaceful Sky Alliance is an alliance of community groups and members committed to assisting Hawaii County government in the task of implementing the statute of “lowest law enforcement priority of cannabis ordinance.” To learn more about them, visit Peaceful Sky Alliance.

“It is about the rights of the people being upheld, “Greywolf said. “Making marijuana possession the lowest priority for police is an ordinance now. People need to realize the voters approved this.”

In my opinion, this was clearly a voter approved law and it should be upheld. There should be people up in arms due to the fact that this ordinance was passed and it is effectively being ignored. Regardless if you are pro or con on the marijuana subject, the people have voiced their decision. Whether you think it is good or bad is not the issue here — the issue should be whether the people are going to be heard in Hawaii County? Asked this way, how can anyone be opposed to implementing this ordinance?

Politicians need to wise up on this issue, especially in Hawaii. They need to listen to the people when they speak, instead of running full throttle with their own agendas.

119-300x225.jpg

Kaliko Guys invited a Halau to join in for the evening. Thank you to Na Mamo O'Moikea!​

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: peacefulskyalliance.com
Author: Jed Stockton - Big Island Weekly
Copyright: 2010 Peaceful Sky Alliance
Website: Big Island Weekly writes about our ‘Good Medicine Show2′ – Peaceful Sky Alliance

Back
Top Bottom