Volksball's First Grow: White Widow Feminized Grow Journal 2018

volksball

Hey everyone!

First time grow here. Would love some weigh-ins if you have a minute. I have the equipment I have and buying more at this point isn't much of an option, because I think my fantastically patient, non-cannabis consuming wife has enjoyed this hobby only this much.

Here's the details and pics of the grow so far:

What strain is it?
White Widow

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
60/40 Ind. dom (I think)

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg - 8 days

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
5 x 5 grow tent
Carbon filter
4" 194 CFM inline fan
Will have 3 extra fans in the tent (1 oscillating)

Soil or Hydro
Organic soil blend

If soil... What size pot?
Solos currently. Will transplant to 7gal grow bags

Size of light?
Current: 3x 100w CFL & 45" 28w T5 45"

After transplant:
Fusion Watt - 1000w ballast
6" Large Hood Reflector (28.5" x 25.5" x 9.7")
Fusion Bright Super HPS Bulb 1000W
Fusion Bright Super MH Bulb 1000W

Is it aircooled?
Yes, with glass cover

Nutrient:
Non at this point but will use:

FloraNova Veg
FloraNova Bloom

Temp of Room/cab?
Havent used yet

Any Pests ?
Hopefully not yet

How often up will bring back pics:
4 days ish (at this phase)

Maybe my first question should be how often I should be watering my seedlings at this stage (see Day 8 pics). The topsoil seems to dry out quickly.

Have a look at the rest of my pics when you have a min!

Thanks, folks!
Volksball

Attachments

• 20181126_223928.jpg
    20181126_223928.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 20181130_075814.jpg
    20181130_075814.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 20181203_195445.jpg
    20181203_195445.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 20181203_191222.jpg
    20181203_191222.jpg
    523.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 20181129_181319.jpg
    20181129_181319.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 20181129_181257.jpg
    20181129_181257.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 228
Nice setup , what size is that tent . I like the 3 sides that open!
They look like they busted the soil last night?

Hey!

5 x 5 tent. Added a few more details to the first post. Trying to think of all the details I can.

They busted actually on day 5. On day 8 now. I'm trying to figure out how much to water em. The top soil seems to be drying out quick, but don't want to over water.

Thanks for taking a look!

Well that is a nice set up and your seedlings are looking good but I don't recommend the plastic saran wrap on the cups as the seeds need oxygen to grow a tap root , try a upside down cup in stead it isn't as air tight , but still holds in the heat and humidity .Are they fem`s or auto flower seeds and from who ? White widow is a picky plant I find while it is a seedling. water and calmag for the 1st couple weeks . what kind of water are you using , ro , tap ? P.S.why would you use a organic soil with synthetic nutes , organic soil requires organic nutes , those nutes will kill all the natural organism in the soil .I would use those nutes in coco or a hydroponic setup -natures best is a good brand of organic nutes -amazon .keep the soil moist not dry not dripping wet .

Hey!

Thanks for the tips! I did change to the cups after a few days. Have a look at day 4 pic and day 8 pics. Still trying to germ 2 under the stool shelf.

Didnt know about the differences in nutes. Are these no good? They were recommended.

Using tap water. Change to bottled?

Thanks for weighing in!

Watering should be done in a circular motion around the plant about a inch away from the stem to avoid disturbing the small tap root and to force the plant to search out the water and grow lateral roots .
Thanks. It seems I'm using the spray bottle multiple times in the day. Does that seem like alot? The soil seems to dry quickly up top.

They're from weed-seeds.ca. They're fem. White widow.

You may have heard the term, "establishing the roots." Until the roots are established it is necessary to water carefully so as to not drift the seedling around in the soil, but within a few days the seedling accomplishes its first task in life... to send a tap root down to the bottom. This thing grows crazy fast, and within 5 days it has started to wrap around the bottom seeking its limits. By the time it has done this, the sprig at the top has established its position and normal and proper watering of the container can commence.

You may have heard the term, "establishing the roots." Until the roots are established it is necessary to water carefully so as to not drift the seedling around in the soil, but within a few days the seedling accomplishes its first task in life... to send a tap root down to the bottom. This thing grows crazy fast, and within 5 days it has started to wrap around the bottom seeking its limits. By the time it has done this, the sprig at the top has established its position and normal and proper watering of the container can commence.
Thanks! I'm just trying to maintain fairly moist soil about a half inch down. It seems to be drying quickly under all the lights. And, of course! The more eyes, the better!

And thanks for the info. The process amazes me so far.

As soon as those roots are established, throw that mister away and water properly.
So, youd say that now, being day 8, the roots are established and I should water normally? How many times per day usually?

Here's another question:

If my last two seeds don't germ, I'm considering germinating two Blueberry/Northern Lights autos. Any thoughts on the ease of growing autos along side fem seeds? Does the auto work under fem light cycles? Or is that an advanced task?
Thx.

growing multiple types in the same tent is always a challenge, especially mixing regulars and autos... but it can be done... just not optimally. Every shortcut produces a drawback.. tis the way of the universe.

you really should read my sticky (that means hundreds of people like it) on how to water correctly or as you asked, normally. The link is in my signature lines. In it I describe that when you water you should try to get as much water in that cup as possible. That requires slowly watering it like a sponge, getting that last drop in there before any more produces runoff.
After doing that, you need to sit back and let the plant do its thing. It needs to deal with all that water. The first time it will take up to 5 days, and then the cup will be light as a feather again and you will wonder why it is not wilting. It is not wilting because it is a weed, and it loves to get its feet dry, every time between waterings. Learn the lift method, where you compare your container with the weight of a similar one filled with dry as the desert soil. Your container should feel like this before you ever even think about watering this plant.
This is how you create a rootball, with a weed.

growing multiple types in the same tent is always a challenge, especially mixing regulars and autos... but it can be done... just not optimally. Every shortcut produces a drawback.. tis the way of the universe.

you really should read my sticky (that means hundreds of people like it) on how to water correctly or as you asked, normally. The link is in my signature lines. In it I describe that when you water you should try to get as much water in that cup as possible. That requires slowly watering it like a sponge, getting that last drop in there before any more produces runoff.
After doing that, you need to sit back and let the plant do its thing. It needs to deal with all that water. The first time it will take up to 5 days, and then the cup will be light as a feather again and you will wonder why it is not wilting. It is not wilting because it is a weed, and it loves to get its feet dry, every time between waterings. Learn the lift method, where you compare your container with the weight of a similar one filled with dry as the desert soil. Your container should feel like this before you ever even think about watering this plant.

Hey thanks! I looked for the link to your watering guide. I couldn't see it so I asked. I'll have another look. I just watered and produced run off. Might have been a tad too much. I have a good idea what the cup feels like dry, so I should get a good idea for watering needs.

Thanks for taking the time!

Found it! Thx!

Just read much of it. Nice work! Informative and comprehensive. Thanks for putting that together!

I've been using tap water alot. Oops. Seems obvious now. Have I damaged the plants? Or are the resiliant? I can buy distilled water. Any brands that are best from the grocery store types?

there is absolutely no reason not to use tap water unless you are going truly naturally and organically like I am. If you use synthetic nutes, then by all means also use the city's synthetic water.
Ah I see, your guide says not to use tap. Would synth nutes and city water not be better? Or are the synth nutes just reversing a correction? So many swear by the synth nutes. I suppose it's a matter of philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom