as you can see the preflowers have set in nicely and I lucked at least 2 females, 2 are yet to decide. man I can only speak wonders for this system the growth is absolutely phenomenal. In fact it caught me by surprise big time and I left the two at the front go a little longer, hoping the 2 at the back I put in a bit later would catch up but no.... they are now freaking monsters the 2 at the back are hidden under the mass of the front 2 and ive got bleaching on the upper leaves due to me being nearly out of height.im going to need to do some changes to my setup to get it lower...I topped at the 6th node which ive now realised was too many and I think I could possibly have kept the light closer in the earlier weeks to limit stretch. next time I will go back to my scrog and I will have a more even growth and start time with clones instead of seeds too.
Ive been pretty busy and I have neglected this journal but ill give some quick details for those playing at home...
I have a 1.2x1.2x2m vented mylar lined tent which I have hung insulation sheets over to help restrict noise.
Ventilation, 8 inch centrifugal fan on speed controller turned right down, running 6" ducting and carbon filter for smell control and a rotating fan for circulation.
lighting, 600w mh/hps in a ducted cool hood. (I highly recommend the vented hoods they work awesome.)
4 pot in a pot recirculating drip feed system set to constant flow, 30L reservoir, topflo pump feeding 4 drip rings each with 4 retic spikes feeding each plant.
Nutrients, cyco grow a+b, cycobloom a+b and dutchmaster potash. I may add in some sugar rush or something toward the last weeks.
I am now 6weeks and two days since putting freshly popped seeds into the system and 2 weeks and 1 day since turning them to flower everything seems to be on track.... I should be 5 weeks and six days from harvest.
Ive gotten a bit of "claw" leaf develop over the past week or so and a slight daily rise in ec so ive backed the nutes off a little to 2.2 and ill see how it responds. There is also some remaining damage from a pretty major bleaching which I have since corrected now that they seem to have stopped their stretch but none of that seems to be slowing them down....
What can I say this is far from a perfect grow but the 2 smaller girls hiding in the shadows of their much larger sisters have finally shown to be both female so that is one good thing.
I gave the girls a good flush for a couple hours in between changes last night and topped her up with a solution at 2.0ec and finally a drop in ec today. i think that last brew was just a tad hot but oh well learn from my mistakes ill remember in future to back the nutes off a little for the 2/3 week of bloom.
Ive got about 9-10 inches from my light atm which seems to have halted the bleach but I may have to yet take some drastic measures to get some more room soon. I cant wait to scrog it next time with clones and a few more of these bugs worked out.
This run was to trial this new bucket of balls system which is working fantastically and mainly to get some good strains up and running to clone from which has so far been a success. My clones taken three weeks ago have just shown roots protruding from their rockwools today, so I guess that marks the unofficial start of round 3.
I didn't bother cloning cabbage, due to her seemingly genetic faults or her equally unimpressive smaller sister although I may take one from her for interests sake as she is meant to be good stock but she got off to a late start.
Another dilemma is having had the smaller girls start flower so late they will probably impede on my next grow so that could end up being a headache.
But I still love growing!!
While im on a roll in that last rant I don't think I sung the praises of this system quite enough.i was put on to this by a friend who swears by it and ive seen his results...
It is easily set up with everyday items and is completely reusable. 8 15L buckets, 1 45L tub, retic hose fittings, an aquarium water pump and air pump with airstones.
Simply drill out the bottom of 4 buckets so that water will drain freely and roots will not excessively block them up, in the other 4 buckets fit 19mm retic fittings at the lowest possible point so as no water collects in the pot with rubber grommets or silicone (my grommets always leak!). This will be your drain to feed back to the reservoir.
Now sit the buckets with all the holes in it in the other, attach 19mm retic hose to the fitting in the bottom run that to your 45L reservoir.
Take your aquarium water pump attach 12mm retic hose to that, split it to your separate pots then feed 12mm hose in a circle and insert retic spikes (take time to get this right an even water distribution is the key to this system).
I cut the lids out of the buckets to cover my medium and trickle lines to minimise evaporation, discourage mould and fungi and to encourage root growth in the dark conditions.
Fill top pots with hydroton (expanded clay), fill reservoir with nutrient solution and away you GO!
The hydroton can even be reused on consecutive grows simply soak in peroxide or enzymes!
Well I've removed all male parts I can find and have decided I'm too far in to just pull them. I'll keep a close eye out for any balls starting or any seeds.
I'm hoping I'm terribly mistaken and ill still have some sort of harvest. Only time will tell.