Vulx Volcanic Soil Amendment: Corporate Introduction

Welcome to 420 and thank you for sponsoring 420 Mag. I'll be mixing up my own soil blend very soon. I'm very interested in your product.
Hi Pennywise - did you ever get your sample of vulx? I just contacted them a few minutes ago. They will send me a sample within the next few weeks to try in a 10 gallon no-till smart pot. Are you using no-till also?

Attention, you prolific autoflowering strain growers in Southern California:

We are looking to partner with someone to grow 18-30 plants under the personal grow limits (you can co-op up to 5 people from my understanding, correct me if wrong).

The catch? We want to throw Vulx in the mix and make a nice case study! The reward? Well, you get paid, first of all, but also you get to keep the harvest of whatever portion of the plants are yours!

You will need to be extremely detail-oriented and able to follow specific instructions. The research will be published, with your name on it as a contributing member (don't worry, we pay you in money too, not just in "exposure").

If you have a horticulture, soil biology, or botany degree that makes you a premier candidate!

The full specs of the study are not yet written up, but here are some things you'll need to make sure to be able to do/measure:

1. Recommend and procure all materials and equipment by submitting budget. (Some equipment may be provided by partners - if any).
2. Install and maintain equipment.
3. Keep detailed daily logs in physical AND digital format.
4. Grow an autoflowering strain from seed to finish.
5. Cure and dry resulting harvest.
6. Assist in sending periodic samples to a laboratory for analysis.

A. Measure and record water application per plant on a per-watering basis.
B. Describe and record soil mixes in detail, with all additives used.
C. Set, measure, and record feeding schedules, methods, and amounts.
D. Count and record leaf growth, leaf amount, cola lengths, fresh/cured harvest weight, plant growth height, dry plant weight, root growth, germination time, and other plant growth measurements.
E. Record light settings, electricity use (if reasonable to do so).
F. Take lots of pictures!

Requirements:

1. You must live close to the office (and consequently where the grow will take place).
2. You must take the harvest from the 6 mature plants that are yours - else it will have to be destroyed/thrown away so we don't run afoul of the law.
3. You MUST ABSOLUTELY be detail-oriented.
4. You should be generally friendly and work well with others.
5. You will 100% be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement as this will need to be done at the personal residence of someone.

If you're up for it, the pay starts at $35/hour and scales up with experience and degrees taken into account. You will be paid as a contractor, and receive a 1099.

Interested? Please go to our site and drop an email to us. I check that 10x more often than the forum so it's just a lot easier for me to keep track of.

Looking forward to working with you all!

Autoflowering strain? Seems like an odd choice given how hit and miss they can be. Great offer though!

You can have up to 12 juvenile plants and 6 matured, so you can kill half of the whole batch in theory and still have enough to complete the study. We'll probably order the seeds from Mephisto as they're held in pretty high regard, but obviously I'm open to suggestion on those.

The next round of testing will be the photo plants, and then after that we'll do an outdoor study on next year's round of outdoor grows.

Sweet seeds are pretty popular among "forum growers," too. I don't know about their overall popularity, though.

Are you running this operation like a scientific experiment? In other words, will you have a set of "control plants" that get fed something else?

Sweet seeds are pretty popular among "forum growers," too. I don't know about their overall popularity, though.

Are you running this operation like a scientific experiment? In other words, will you have a set of "control plants" that get fed something else?

Yes. We will test 5-ish soil/substrate mixes (depending on how many total variables).

One plant will receive full water/nutrient schedule and the other 2 or 3 will get X% strength of water/nutrients. We will be slightly limited by the 30 plant total on ALL the variables to test, but I'll definitely be working with people outside here and on other forums as well as some commercial folks to see what the most popular variables they want to see is.

Hey guys,

If anyone wants to go to the CannaGrow expo in Palm Springs you can use my discount Code "VULX" and get $20 off.

We'll be there in booth 322, hope to see a few of you there! Just ask for Beau and I'll be happy to see you!

CannaGrowExpo.com/Register

Wanted to share this with you all.

Desert Garden Side-by-Side:

Regular Top-Soil
No Fertilizer
Same Water Schedule

Garden Setup:

1. We dug about 6 inches below the hard clay inside of 4x4, 7" deep raised beds.
2. At the bottom, we put in regular volcanic rocks (nothing special, just the ones used for paths) for water drainage.
3. In the middle of this bottom layer of rocks, we laid out a row of mulch mixed with vermiculite to replicate a "core" gardening technique.
4. We then added 3 rows of soaker hose on top of this bottom layer, as desert gardening requires deep watering.
5. On top of this went regular topsoil.
6. As the point of this grow was not to appeal to the professional cannabis grower, we were not exact at all with the Vulx mixture. We just poured it in until it looked about evenly mixed. I think if we had measured it, we added slightly less than the recommended amount.
7. Both sides got about an inch of mulch on top.
8. Plants were planted in a high-density layout, so that in effect they protected each other from the desert sun while not being held back by shade cloths. Probably a controversial decision, but on the non-treated side it paid off. On the side with Vulx the plants kinda took over each other.
9. Once everything was done, we added drip-irrigation.

I got a neat time lapse video of the whole thing, but I'm editing that to get frames from the same time and lighting every day so A. it's not 3 minutes long and B. the lighting isn't distracting.

Last time I recorded the stats, there were as such:

PlantBlooms (Vulx)Blooms Fruits On Plant (Vulx)Fruits on PlantHarvested Fruits (Vulx)Harvested Fruits
Tomatoes50-6030-4013400
Eggplant432100
CucumberN/AN/A63123
Pepper543242

As for the basil, you can see in the photos that it is probably 2-3 times as big on the treated side.

Here are the photos:

Non-Treated
IMG_20190726_165523-e1565496059352.jpg

Treated

MVIMG_20190726_165531-e1565495992960.jpg

I've always tried to make it clear that we aren't a big corporate company that wants to just profit off of the industry. We simply have a great product that I believe in.

I really love and appreciate the opportunity to work in an industry that values learning and growing together. And thanks mostly to enthusiastic customers referring friends we have grown quite a bit!

We went to CannaGrow 2019 and talked with some of the biggest cultivators in California - and more importantly gave them the opportunity to see if the product works in their grow with zero risk. It was an honor to talk to some of the best names in CA cultivation and learn from them!

So look forward to reviews from industry leaders coming soon!

We are normal people driven by our excitement about the product! Even our art is made in house by someone I've worked with for a long time - and the folks that let me grow the garden in their backyard pictures above came and gave their testimonials for me!

Feeling lucky today to be growing with you guys.

I think it's also funny that I'm a carbon copy of my pops these days.. If you can pick the two of us out, the first one to reply with the correct answer gets a free sample :)

Thanks for reading my happy rant! Look forward to 3 more grow journals being posted soon with Vulx included in a mother plant, up-potted plants and some plants that are grown start to finish!

The guy in the hat and the guy on the left? Nope, nevermind. I just went back and saw the first pic. the two gents in the first row. center and right.

The edited answer is right hahaha

I was responding as you edited. PM address. I have customers in volcanic regions and they still see the significant effects. I'm sure you will too :)

Hey ladies and gents, now that the expo is done I had a minute to breathe so naturally I stayed up all night reading the forum instead of catching up on sleep.

Check out a @Pbass Vulx grow featuring plants that never get thirsty as well as a saga of some renovations and other non-Vulx harvests here:

@Emilya is about to up-pot some plants into Vulx, and she has a great thread going on overall so make sure to subscribe to that:

@Teddy Edwards has taken some beautiful photos, and one includes a 'preview' side-by-side with two Vulx plants. Looking pretty good:

There may also be another surprise guest here, but that depends on how things are looking tomorrow. Vulx will get to him/her on Wednesday morning but there's a chance it will be just ever-so-slightly too late.

Also new is our updated instructions! Thanks to @InTheShed for his fantastic journal for helping us improve these:

Soil DensityApplication Rate
0-1.5kg/gal75g/gal
1.5kg-2.5kg/gal125g/gal
2.5kg+5% by weight

Mix thoroughly! Vulx works when it's around the roots!

Reduce fertilizer input by 50% initially. If your plant is hungry before your next watering, use a foliar spray to bridge the gap and then increase feeding on your next watering.

Check your soil moisture level before you water at the same time as normal. You will probably need to wait longer than usual.

Most importantly: listen to your plants!

Back
Top Bottom