Vulx Volcanic Soil Amendment: Corporate Introduction

After the CannaGrow convention we were able to get Vulx in the hands of commercial cultivators. So far the results have been great! I'll upload some more photos as they become available.

If you're watching @Emilya, @Mr. Krip, @Teddy Edwards and @Pbass you can see how Vulx is working in their grows as well.

So far - it seems like ProMix has overall been a sub-par performer for Vulx and soil seems to work the best. I believe Teddy is growing in soil so it will be a good comparison between his grow and Krip's for the sponsored product review.

The independently-run case study (though you'd be mad to think I'm not going to be there taking photos and showing off!) is starting soon. It's run by a California-based grower. He decided all the equipment to use and is setting it all up and running the show.

We'll be testing different blends - coco, ProMix (peat), and soil. The soil will get some extra testing in the form of increased Vulx concentrations. Right now we're just waiting on the seeds to arrive and then we'll begin the setup. It will be 25 plants, complete with C02, humidifiers, dehumidifiers, PAR meters, and moisture meters - a high-quality test for sure! Everything will be posted on the forum publicly to get any feedback and so you all can monitor the grow as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Worth noting that the above plants were grown from seedling while Emilya and Krip started later in the cycle. I'm not sure how it affects anything since honestly that is not something I've seen tried before but it's something to keep in mind for sure.

Showing off some customer photos of roots from the freedom dream CBD strain grown with Vulx!

Nice ... I hear it screaming ... "Slice my roots, sprinkle me with mychorrizae and transplant me into a bigger pot now!!!" :)

Thanks for being a sponsor ... and so far so good in @Emilya 's grow and in @Mr. Krip 's grow.

Maybe put links of your sponsored grows in your signature.

BTW ... how is Vulx interracting with the BRIX Kit so far?

Nice ... I hear it screaming ... "Slice my roots, sprinkle me with mychorrizae and transplant me into a bigger pot now!!!" :)

Thanks for being a sponsor ... and so far so good in @Emilya 's grow and in @Mr. Krip 's grow.

Yeah the farm who did that pictured side-by-side transplanting much earlier than they normally would so that's pretty great!

Maybe put links of your sponsored grows in your signature.

That's a great idea - thank you!

BTW ... how is Vulx interracting with the BRIX Kit so far?

Mr. Krip just messaged me when I asked:

I keep mentioning that the two Dolatos look virtually identical, but the non-Vulxed Dolato has been getting more picture time since she's in front and the Vulxed on is in back where it's tougher to get a good pic.

I will try to get more/better pics of that one up soon and there's certainly no issues with it.

I also mentioned in a recent post that I'm going to be taken another set of brix readings soon, so we'll see how they both compare.

The Vulx'd plant is in the back where it's hard to see, but it seems to be holding its own at the very least.

Edit: I think time will tell with Krip's grow. Vulx does not seem to have as pronounced of an effect in ProMix (which is a peat soilless mix) but I'll reserve judgement until the end of his test.

I think time will tell with Krip's grow. Vulx does not seem to have as pronounced of an effect in ProMix (which is a peat soilless mix) but I'll reserve judgement until the end of his test.
I wouldn't judge my grow based as a "Pro-Mix" grow, even though the medium is Pro-Mix. Technically, it's a high brix grow using @Doc Bud's kit. His kit has just about every amendment needed to make the soil perfect, so adding Vulx to high brix soil would not have the same effect as adding the Vulx to Pro-Mix alone. This was something I did suspect in the beginning which is why I'm trying to make this first Vulx grow a comparison grow with two of the same strains and taking brix readings through the grow to compare.

By the time I had received the original Vulx package, I was already "stressing" about needing to flip, but I do have a couple more tubs of Vulx and will try some other comparisons in the next grow where I'll be able to start the Vulx earlier in the plants' lifecycle.

I had mentioned in one of the posts that I am a big believer in rock dust products and use them pretty extensively on my fruits & veggies, which are in "regular" (non-high-brix) soil.

:Namaste:

I wouldn't judge my grow based as a "Pro-Mix" grow, even though the medium is Pro-Mix. Technically, it's a high brix grow using @Doc Bud's kit. His kit has just about every amendment needed to make the soil perfect, so adding Vulx to high brix soil would not have the same effect as adding the Vulx to Pro-Mix alone. This was something I did suspect in the beginning which is why I'm trying to make this first Vulx grow a comparison grow with two of the same strains and taking brix readings through the grow to compare.

By the time I had received the original Vulx package, I was already "stressing" about needing to flip, but I do have a couple more tubs of Vulx and will try some other comparisons in the next grow where I'll be able to start the Vulx earlier in the plants' lifecycle.

I had mentioned in one of the posts that I am a big believer in rock dust products and use them pretty extensively on my fruits & veggies, which are in "regular" (non-high-brix) soil.

:Namaste:

I think it has to do with how incredibly light and airy ProMix is and not necessarily its contents. Would like to see High Brix in soil with Vulx and see if there's a difference between the effects.

As an analogous example: long fiber coco also may not perform well while the super fine mix or a coco/soil blend does great.

I'm a believer in constant improvement and we will continue testing in everything we can! Now to get my hands on a High Brix kit...

I think it has to do with how incredibly light and airy ProMix is and not necessarily its contents. Would like to see High Brix in soil with Vulx and see if there's a difference between the effects.

As an analogous example: long fiber coco also may not perform well while the super fine mix or a coco/soil blend does great.

I'm a believer in constant improvement and we will continue testing in everything we can! Now to get my hands on a High Brix kit...
The High Brix kit is formulated specifically for Pro-Mix HP or Sunshine Mix, but, if you send @Doc Bud a soil sample, he will test your soil and put together a high brix amendment specifically for your soil. There is a small additional charge for the soil test, but the point is, if you want to test high brix on "other" soil, you'd really need to get that soil tested first and, likely, not use the "standard" high brix soil amendments in the off-the-shelf kit.

I just did some research into application rates of amendments for porous substrates (peat specifically) vs soil and came across some interesting information.

Looks like in studies that show a net positive effect they are doubling our recommended application rate for those substrates.

Glad we checked into this before our case study seeds get here - now we can give it a go!

The High Brix kit is formulated specifically for Pro-Mix HP or Sunshine Mix, but, if you send @Doc Bud a soil sample, he will test your soil and put together a high brix amendment specifically for your soil. There is a small additional charge for the soil test, but the point is, if you want to test high brix on "other" soil, you'd really need to get that soil tested first and, likely, not use the "standard" high brix soil amendments in the off-the-shelf kit.

Top shelf! We probably can't fit in the High Brix this round of testing but we will definitely work with ProMix.

High Brix kit is quality stuff though so this is definitely on the roadmap for the future.

So far - it seems like ProMix has overall been a sub-par performer for Vulx
Just my luck! ;)
I just did some research into application rates of amendments for porous substrates (peat specifically) vs soil and came across some interesting information.
Looks like in studies that show a net positive effect they are doubling our recommended application rate for those substrates.
Glad we checked into this before our case study seeds get here - now we can give it a go!
I'm looking forward to your test results using 2x the Vulx in ProMix HP to see if that's the key to making it work.

So this stuff wouldn't be helpful for some very young cannabis plants that I'm considering growing to harvest in hempy (a passive hydroponic method in which the reservoir is the bottom of the container that the plant is growing in) containers full of perlite?

So this stuff wouldn't be helpful for some very young cannabis plants that I'm considering growing to harvest in hempy (a passive hydroponic method in which the reservoir is the bottom of the container that the plant is growing in) containers full of perlite?

As much as we obviously love getting orders I would not recommend this for that particular application. If it would be something you're interested in I could send you some to try.

That being said, if there is a pump involved the product is so fine that it would invariably find its way out of that very loose substrate and into the res - potentially causing other issues.

So the size causes the issues a) how do you keep it around the roots and b) it could clog a pump depending on the setup.

So I just checked out a hempy bucket. It is a bit different than I imagined, I'm still quite convinced the perlite wouldn't hold the Vulx in there but it seems possible.

Let me know if you want to give it a shot - I can't really in good conscience sell something without being confident in results, it's just not the way I operate. It'd be both fun and useful to send you an amount to try that would give us some idea if it worked, though.

I'd love to try your product in a hydronic scenario. A passive method suit better suits my current circumstances (although I might do another (relatively) large-reservoir DWC grow sometime next year). I will probably be using perlite. I suppose I could use coco coir - I still have a block left, along with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate to "pretreat" it with after hydrating and rinsing - but I would prefer not too at this time. However, depending on the amount you're offering to send me, lol, I might end up trying that as well, at some point in the future.

Fair warning: My next grow will probably end up being shown here in a grow journal thread. So others will see it, for better or worse. And it won't be... well-funded; I do not think that will become a problem (have some newish white LED products and a never-used grow tent, along with two or three sets of nutrients), but thought I should mention it.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it: In addition to some General Hydroponics, Fox Farm, and Dutch Nutrient Formula stuff, and some "miscellaneous odds and ends," I also have:

Osmocote Plus, which is a time release multi-nutrient that appears to be a pretty complete nutrient package other than its lack of Ca.

And...

A two-component nutrient brand, GeoFlora, that was sent to me a while back by the folks at GeoPot. This is a granular product. Both (grow, bloom) components are OMRI certified. They seem to be intended for people who are interested in "organic" nutrients but who aren't interested in having their homes smell like dead fish, animal feces, et cetera.

I will probably be doing a mixture of plants in hempy containers and plants in soil. I intend to try the GeoFlora nutrients in at least one of the soil-grown plants. I might use the Osmocote Plus in something, possibly even in one of the hempy-grown ones. Now all of that means... Well, it means I won't be setting any production records ;). But it also means that I should be able to set up something that you feel should be "a good fit" for your product, as well as carry out some form of informal(?) experimentation. And it means that there would probably be a control group of sorts, plants that I do not use your product on.

And, with all of the above having been said... My grows are small ones. My home's electrical system is almost 100 years old, so its total capacity is only 30 amps. And I try to stay under 80% load because... almost 100 years old : rolleyes: . Also because I'd rather eat in the Winter than have higher electric bill or warm house, I suppose. The area of my grow tent is only approximately 10.5625 square feet, and my grow closer isn't substantially larger (and I only use one of them at a time). My soil-grown plants will be in three-gallon grow bags at best, and my hempy-grown plants will be in containers that are rated 5.8-quart (although they might be slightly larger). Some plants will probably might even end up in green two-liter bottles again this time.

In other words, this isn't a huge operation, nor is it one in which I could run out and purchase anything that I decided I needed and/or wanted.

Therefore, if you change your mind and wish to withdraw your kind offer, I will understand.

Regardless, thank you for having made the offer in the first place.

I'd love to try your product in a hydronic scenario. A passive method suit better suits my current circumstances (although I might do another (relatively) large-reservoir DWC grow sometime next year). I will probably be using perlite. I suppose I could use coco coir - I still have a block left, along with calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate to "pretreat" it with after hydrating and rinsing - but I would prefer not too at this time. However, depending on the amount you're offering to send me, lol, I might end up trying that as well, at some point in the future.

Fair warning: My next grow will probably end up being shown here in a grow journal thread. So others will see it, for better or worse. And it won't be... well-funded; I do not think that will become a problem (have some newish white LED products and a never-used grow tent, along with two or three sets of nutrients), but thought I should mention it.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it: In addition to some General Hydroponics, Fox Farm, and Dutch Nutrient Formula stuff, and some "miscellaneous odds and ends," I also have:

Osmocote Plus, which is a time release multi-nutrient that appears to be a pretty complete nutrient package other than its lack of Ca.

And...

A two-component nutrient brand, GeoFlora, that was sent to me a while back by the folks at GeoPot. This is a granular product. Both (grow, bloom) components are OMRI certified. They seem to be intended for people who are interested in "organic" nutrients but who aren't interested in having their homes smell like dead fish, animal feces, et cetera.

I will probably be doing a mixture of plants in hempy containers and plants in soil. I intend to try the GeoFlora nutrients in at least one of the soil-grown plants. I might use the Osmocote Plus in something, possibly even in one of the hempy-grown ones. Now all of that means... Well, it means I won't be setting any production records ;). But it also means that I should be able to set up something that you feel should be "a good fit" for your product, as well as carry out some form of informal(?) experimentation. And it means that there would probably be a control group of sorts, plants that I do not use your product on.

And, with all of the above having been said... My grows are small ones. My home's electrical system is almost 100 years old, so its total capacity is only 30 amps. And I try to stay under 80% load because... almost 100 years old : rolleyes: . Also because I'd rather eat in the Winter than have higher electric bill or warm house, I suppose. The area of my grow tent is only approximately 10.5625 square feet, and my grow closer isn't substantially larger (and I only use one of them at a time). My soil-grown plants will be in three-gallon grow bags at best, and my hempy-grown plants will be in containers that are rated 5.8-quart (although they might be slightly larger). Some plants will probably might even end up in green two-liter bottles again this time.

In other words, this isn't a huge operation, nor is it one in which I could run out and purchase anything that I decided I needed and/or wanted.

Therefore, if you change your mind and wish to withdraw your kind offer, I will understand.

Regardless, thank you for having made the offer in the first place.

No worries at all. We aren't looking for anything in particular as far as the size or complexity of the grow.

Also I fully expect it to not work in Perlite - so the worst case scenario is the expected outcome. If it doesn't work it's not like it will be a shock to anyone since it's what we predicted!

I'm always happy to see Vulx incorporated into things we haven't tried before - even if it doesn't work out. The soil and coco markets are plenty big enough for us at any rate and that's where Vulx really shines.

Back
Top Bottom