Vulx Volcanic Soil Amendment: Corporate Introduction

I forget crawdads every chance I get, lol. You know where I'm located, and there are creeks there. I just can't stand 'em, lol. Had a chance to try alligator once at Doug's Dogs in Chicago when I went up to see the Cubs lose, but ended up choosing something else. Maybe someday. I was gifted some reindeer meat once. Might be the only deer I'd eat even when I wasn't extra hungry.

grew up in Louisiana

Alligator... alligator... alligator... GAR, lol. When you want your fishing experience to be a bit like wild boar hunting - with a crossbow ;).

Had a chance to try alligator once at Doug's Dogs in Chicago when I went up to see the Cubs lose, but ended up choosing something else.
They say everything tastes like chicken, but fried gator tastes, to me, EXACTLY like fried chicken bits EXCEPT they are extremely tough and chewy. So much so, I'd just order the damn chicken since it's about the cheapest meat available!

Product received! Thanks again. I hope to begin my experiment in the next week or two. Will post a link to the grow journal in this thread when I do.

Product received! Thanks again. I hope to begin my experiment in the next week or two. Will post a link to the grow journal in this thread when I do.

Sounds good, any positive results at all will be surprising based on your grow setup (perlite+hempy bucket) so it will be an interesting experiment.

Thanks for giving it a shot!

Wanted to share this AWESOME design made by the in-house artist. Can't wait to get this bad boy printed on a t-shirt.

Attachments

• IMG_20191008_082729_120.jpg
    IMG_20191008_082729_120.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 157
I think I saw that plant once. It was talking to me...

It's been quite the interesting week. We've officially "closed" the first US farms (as in graduated from them trying to them buying) and are getting results back from 4 or 5 other places that are giving it a shot.

Something I had not considered was the monetary benefit for people growing clones. The first place that agreed to buy did it based on the fact that the mother plant grew to be bushier and had faster internodal development. For him, every extra clone he gets, and any reduction amount of time it takes to cut more makes a $10/plant input very much worth it. He's growing in FFOF.

Another had tried Vulx some time ago (I posted a pic somewhere) and the person in charge of the cultivation changed their path so I thought the conversation had died and I'd need another "in." Turns out they called me last week because they had to find out why a few plants in their room were bigger and healthier than all the others.

And, this is really exciting news, I believe that within the next few weeks I'm going to be able to announce a partnership with a MASSIVE (well, pretty damn big at least) cultivation brand using our product. Their test is going well, but big things move slowly by nature - cautious optimism is called for at this point. Usually I'd wait until it was "done" to share but, hey you guys know me I am excited about this stuff!

Commercially, so far the results have been consistent. The sample pool on that here in the good ole US of A is decent, and the mediums include coco/perlite, straight coco, organic soil blend, and "heavily amended" custom mix designer soils. There's another location in Washington which has not mixed anything yet, but I sent him 250kg of the stuff at no charge in return for a testimonial. He has a mix of outdoor plants in soil and indoor ladies in ProMix so that will be good information to have.

In the context of commercial farms, a sample makes a lot of sense for me, and the consistent results are definitely welcome.

Samples for retail (for many reasons), not so much - so I'm going to look into doing something that will help people not spend $30 just to be able to buy some Vulx to try. We are looking into $10 and $15 packaging sizes now as well as some larger sizes that run a bit cheaper per unit prices.

Then, for example, one could give it a shot in a 5.5" roundbottom for a couple weeks just to get an idea of if it makes a difference. Seeing the growth, color, and (when you up-pot) root ball differences will help you make a decision if it's worth it for you. In the same vein you could grab just enough for a 5 gallon pot instead of 10 gallons' worth.

So, that's my update on everything for you guys, which I am sharing because everyone's input here has been useful and appreciated.

It looks like your brand is about to climb to the next level. Congratulations! I smiled when I read about the person at one of your testers contacting you, trying to figure out why some of their plants were so obviously in a better state than the rest. I can almost imagine how that conversation went: "Yes sir(/ma'am?), I do know why a portion of your plants are bigger, healthier, and requiring less resources than your other plants - and here's how you can make them all like that ;) ."

The smaller retail packaging idea is a good one, too. For a lot of people, a $10- or $15-sized package would be considered a sample size, lol. I remember the sticker shock one evening whilst browsing various nutrient company product ads. This was after California legalized for medicinal purposes, every grower/dealer in every podunk town across the country with a television decided he ought to be able to get $400/lid for his bud, and the hardware and nutrient markets took off, of course. Now half the population has at least limited access to "legal" cannabis - and here in my not quite podunk little city, you can still pay $400/ounce for decent cannabis. Or $20/gram :rolleyes: . Costs, what, an average of $27.50 to grow, lol?[/RANT]

"...bushier and had faster internodal development" has me wishing I had not chosen to grow my little Northern Lights Auto in its final three-gallon grow bag of soil - otherwise, I could accidentally open the top of one of those containers I'm saving for the experiment and spill a little bit into the soil I was mixing for it. But probably not especially useful as a top-dressing, I suppose?

I'm still trying to source fresh seeds. I hope to receive some from a (way too) kind fellow member in the next couple weeks. If so, they'll be autoflowering crosses bred by yet another fellow member within the past year. Parents were Mephisto strains, I believe. I hope to get enough that I can try starting some via my usual method, and others in little Solo cup hempy containers so that they'll be in that environment their entire lives. Once that comes to pass, I'll begin the Vulx hempy experiment and create a grow journal.

You must get a great feeling when one of the large-grow farmers to whom you've sent substantial sized free samples to... ends up liking your product enough to buy more of it. It speaks well for your product.

Cautious optimism in regards to your ongoing negotiations with the commercial cultivation entity. Er... One hopes that entity isn't owned by Scotts Miracle-Gro's Hawthorne Gardening Co. shell corporation, lol.

Cue the theme song from the Jeffersons sitcom, because it looks like you're "Movin' on up," ;) .

EDIT: BtW, I read your offer to supply things for a potential grow-off in a new member's thread a few minutes ago. There have been some "comparative grow threads" here, both ones set up by regular members, such as SweetSue's Dark Devil Auto thread:

...and ones created/run by sponsors, such as the two that The Vault sponsored:

They're always popular threads. That kind of thing could potentially increase the awareness - and popularity - of your product, methinks...

It looks like your brand is about to climb to the next level. Congratulations! I smiled when I read about the person at one of your testers contacting you, trying to figure out why some of their plants were so obviously in a better state than the rest. I can almost imagine how that conversation went: "Yes sir(/ma'am?), I do know why a portion of your plants are bigger, healthier, and requiring less resources than your other plants - and here's how you can make them all like that ;) ."

The smaller retail packaging idea is a good one, too. For a lot of people, a $10- or $15-sized package would be considered a sample size, lol. I remember the sticker shock one evening whilst browsing various nutrient company product ads. This was after California legalized for medicinal purposes, every grower/dealer in every podunk town across the country with a television decided he ought to be able to get $400/lid for his bud, and the hardware and nutrient markets took off, of course. Now half the population has at least limited access to "legal" cannabis - and here in my not quite podunk little city, you can still pay $400/ounce for decent cannabis. Or $20/gram :rolleyes: . Costs, what, an average of $27.50 to grow, lol?[/RANT]

"...bushier and had faster internodal development" has me wishing I had not chosen to grow my little Northern Lights Auto in its final three-gallon grow bag of soil - otherwise, I could accidentally open the top of one of those containers I'm saving for the experiment and spill a little bit into the soil I was mixing for it. But probably not especially useful as a top-dressing, I suppose?

I'm still trying to source fresh seeds. I hope to receive some from a (way too) kind fellow member in the next couple weeks. If so, they'll be autoflowering crosses bred by yet another fellow member within the past year. Parents were Mephisto strains, I believe. I hope to get enough that I can try starting some via my usual method, and others in little Solo cup hempy containers so that they'll be in that environment their entire lives. Once that comes to pass, I'll begin the Vulx hempy experiment and create a grow journal.

You must get a great feeling when one of the large-grow farmers to whom you've sent substantial sized free samples to... ends up liking your product enough to buy more of it. It speaks well for your product.

Cautious optimism in regards to your ongoing negotiations with the commercial cultivation entity. Er... One hopes that entity isn't owned by Scotts Miracle-Gro's Hawthorne Gardening Co. shell corporation, lol.

Cue the theme song from the Jeffersons sitcom, because it looks like you're "Movin' on up," ;) .

EDIT: BtW, I read your offer to supply things for a potential grow-off in a new member's thread a few minutes ago. There have been some "comparative grow threads" here, both ones set up by regular members, such as SweetSue's Dark Devil Auto thread:

...and ones created/run by sponsors, such as the two that The Vault sponsored:

They're always popular threads. That kind of thing could potentially increase the awareness - and popularity - of your product, methinks...

Do not use this as a top dressing! It's a sponge so all that good stuff will just be sucked up into it and sit right on top. The bonds are weaker than when the roots "ask" for nutes and water, but they aren't weaker than gravity. Best case osmosis pulls it little by little into the top centimeter of substrate. So yeah, pls don't do that.

It's not one of those mega corporations. That said, one of those cultivations owned by them is receiving a sample soon.

But as far as selling out the entire brand and product to a company like that? Hell no. Doing this to execute a vision of company with good morals and positive impact! Not to get "rich."

Thanks for the heads up on the threads. I will check them out.

So I want to take a second to thank a member who did a trial run with Vulx: @Pbass

He was kind enough to send us a video review with some shots of his grow room. We edited and condensed the footage a bit, but that's not to say the original was bad - it was great! We only did it to keep it as short as possible.

It will be on the website and social media channels (@getvulx - Twitter, FB, Insta) but wanted to share here, too.

It's a good watch - he's a natural on camera!

Hope you guys enjoy.

It's a video now, before it was just footage! Thank god for editors, you took raw gab and made something really awesome. I'm thrilled and honored and am looking forward to running more Vulx! Cheers! :yahoo:

So we get a lot of "I already use a heavily amended soil product so your stuff won't do anything."

I decided to put this to the test.

Since I always share everything with you guys first, I'll let you in on what's going on and share some preliminary results (that are scientific but not perfect until the real test).

The preliminary test was water retention and this was accomplished through measuring leachate from little 1 pint pots.

We used Roots Organic Potting Soil, Fox Farms Ocean Forest, and literally the cheapest top soil I could find. It has a bit of peat and other forest products in there too but no other amendments.

There were 6 pots: one each of non-treated and treated soils. Each pot was watered with 120mL.

The results are as follows:

NON-TREATED
RO: 39mL
FFOF: 40mL
TS: 100mL

TREATED
RO: 20mL
FFOF: 20ish mL (a tad spilled so I had to estimate)
TS: 49mL

As you can see, Vulx alone was able to achieve about 84% of water retention of the amended soils.

Edit: Vulx was also able to half leached water in amended brands as well.

The next step is to establish some seedlings in untreated FFOF and RO and treated top soil to see how well the remaining water is used and how long a plant can survive.

3 identically setup pots will have plants which we will water as needed to see how well Vulxd cheap-ass topsoil compares to the other much more expensive brands in terms of plant and root growth and overall health.

I'm nearly certain that Vulx alone will create plants that are as healthy or healthier.

Anything that I find makes my life easier makes my life easier. 5% in plain soil, water halfish strength nutes to runoff, wait a month! :yahoo:

IMG_20191022_201021612.jpg
IMG_20191022_203647226.jpg
IMG_20191029_162937755.jpg

Anything that I find makes my life easier makes my life easier. 5% in plain soil, water halfish strength nutes to runoff, wait a month! :yahoo:

IMG_20191022_201021612.jpg
IMG_20191022_203647226.jpg
IMG_20191029_162937755.jpg

Are you putting Vulx in the new soil when you up-pot the next time as well? A couple of people told me recently I wasn't clear enough on that.

Back
Top Bottom