War on Drugs: Time for Florida to Legalize and Tax Marijuana

Weedpipe

420 Member
Florida lawmakers face a daunting task in the upcoming legislative session: They must close a budget gap that could reach $2.4 billion.

The situation, however, could be worse. To their credit, previous legislatures had enough fiscal sense not to take Florida down the same tax-and-spend path trod by California. The Golden State faces a $20 billion shortfall, which amounts to a fiscal straightjacket from which even Houdini couldn't have escaped.

Yet, even lawmakers in fiscally-inept California are considering a couple of good revenue raising ideas that Florida legislators should adopt. The ideas might not have an immediate impact in Florida, but they would provide a decent income stream down the line.

The first is allowing offshore drilling for oil and natural gas, which would result in royalty revenue. California banned offshore drilling after the 1969 Santa Barbara oil spill, and for good reason. As with Florida, the coastline is a vital natural and economic asset that must be protected.

But drilling technology has come a long way in the last four decades, and it's far safer than at the time of the Santa Barbara spill. In fact, there hasn't been a major drilling spill in U.S. waters since Santa Barbara. Drilling isn't risk free, but the chances for disaster are small.

The second sensible idea coming out of California is – hold onto your hats – legalizing and taxing marijuana. I already can hear the reaction from self-anointed Florida "conservatives." It goes something like this:

"Are you nuts? We'd be turning the state over to drug-crazed, hippie, liberal, Godless reprobates. Anyone advocating such a course of action would be doing the work of the devil."

To which, I would counter: "Those who have argued for an end to the un-winnable drug war include the late William F. Buckley, the intellectual godfather of the modern conservative movement; the late Milton Friedman, the free-market economist whose economic thinking laid the foundation of the modern conservative movement; and George P. Shultz, Ronald Reagan's venerable secretary of State."

None of them stumped for drug use, but they all realized fighting the drug war caused more problems than it solved.

The illegal profits have turned some of the most reprehensible people in the world into major power brokers, who use a share of their fortunes to corrupt politicians, judges and police officers. The drug war is helping to destabilize foreign governments, including Mexico's and Afghanistan's. Profits are being used to bankroll terrorists. Arresting, trying and incarcerating those involved in the drug trade costs this nation and the states tens of billions of dollars annually that could be used for constructive purposes.

Meanwhile, government isn't raising a dime in taxes. That's not the case with alcohol and tobacco, legal drugs that cause far more misery and death than all the illegal drugs combined.

The claim that legalizing illegal drugs would result in a massive increase in use is far from proven. Just look at legalized tobacco. Its use has been declining in recent decades, and per capita alcohol consumption in the United States has dropped by half since the middle of the 19th century.

Florida isn't California, and marijuana legalization and taxation will be more difficult to sell here. But it's time to start pushing hard for it. The cause could get a lift from the "tea party" movement. Tea-party libertarians need to convince the so-called "conservatives" waving placards next to them (many of whom never heard of Buckley, Friedman or Shultz) that it's time to call a halt to the war on drugs.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Author: Kingsley Guy
Copyright: 2010, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Website:Call a halt to war on drugs - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Lets go Florida!!!! :roorrip:

from what I have read it seems that Florida has some of the strictest marijuana laws, it seems that it will be a hard fight there to get this done, but good luck to Florida and the citizens that could benefit. :peace:

Very strict Laws indeed. However there seems to be a very nice following of "Independents" there, that are of a more libertarian bent. If you can convince them. Along with the strong pockets of liberal voters and minority's in the southern and coastal cities could make it happen.

Nic

To even theorize that Florida would consider such an action is, I believe, a waste of time and unrealistic. If and when the rest of the states adopts legal medical marijuana laws, Florida will be one of the last (if not dead last) to do so and even that, I feel, is suspect. If you lived in Florida and knew any of the thousands of law-enforcement officials, you would know that it is one of the most conservative states (even though the vote was cast for Obama in Florida) and the conservative Latin and republican groups will not allow it.
And with the latest Supreme Court ruling, where corporations are released to exploit political processes through their donations/bribes, I feel our task of creating a more tolerant and socially responsible society in America is in jeopardy. My 2p.

Back
Top Bottom