Washington State - Stonehenge Cannabis Opens Sept. 6 In Murdock

The General

High prices and difficulty finding product to sell isn't deterring more retailers from opening their doors. Stonehenge Cannabis in Murdock is set to become Klickitat County's second recreational marijuana retailer as of Sept. 6. Stonehenge Cannabis owners Elizabeth 'Liz' Hallock and Steve White are a husband and wife team who have been on a mission to open their groovy, 1960s-themed pot shop for the past year after having two previous locations denied by the Washington State Liquor Control Board.

The first location near downtown White Salmon was too close to Little Oak Montessori School and the second, in the building that previously housed the Logs Inn in BZ Corner, was too close to the BZ Corner Launch Site. Finally, Hallock, an attorney, and White, a former program administrator at Portland State University, settled on a vacant building at 8142 State Route 14 in Murdock where there will be a grand opening tea party and art show for Stonehenge Cannabis on Saturday, Sept. 6, at 4 p.m.

"It'll be kind of a psychedelic '60s theme except a little classier. We have to work with what we have because there weren't a lot of choices," Hallock said. To combat the potential for rising prices and product shortages, Hallock said Stonehenge Cannabis will be part of a consortium of retailers that will make long-term contracts with growers and producers. "It's more of a cartel, basically. Everything is for the betterment of the consumer so there is no price fixing," she said. Like Margie's Pot Shop in Bingen, Stonehenge Cannabis will also sell paraphernalia. Bongs, pipes, and more made by AlderEgo will also be available for purchase.

Whether the new shop will have edibles on its shelves anytime soon is uncertain. Previously, the Klickitat County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution to ban marijuana-infused products, like cookies or brownies, from being sold in the county, but County Commissioner David Sauter said since the passage of the resolution little progress has been made in regards to an actual ordinance banning marijuana edibles simply because it would be too difficult to enforce.

"We weren't looking to have an ordinance with any criminal component. The point was to focus attention on our view that the decision makers haven't done a good enough job protecting kids from these edibles, so we can't seem to find a way with an ordinance that doesn't have too much teeth," Sauter said. Since Margie's is within the city limits of Bingen, that establishment never had to worry about the resolution, but being that Stonehenge Cannabis falls in an unincorporated town, the shop will be under the county's jurisdiction.

Part of Klickitat County's resolution cited reports out of Colorado where "there has been an increase in reports of people over-consuming THC-infused edibles which end in tragic events," but White and Hallock agree that an adult purchasing marijuana-infused brownies or cookies should be able to make smart decisions about how much they consume. "Alcohol is a much more potent poison than any marijuana edible. If I consumed a pint of pure alcohol it would kill me, whereas I could smoke marijuana from sun up to sun down, as much as I could possibly take in, it wouldn't kill me," White said.

"That's what we're basically talking about: beer and wine, which is naturally fermented and distilled liquor, which is your highly potent stuff. I don't see anybody saying we should ban distilled liquor in the county." Additionally, the resolution cites "instances of marijuana products legally purchased by adults over 21 falling into the hands of teenagers and younger children." Though Lemberger wouldn't have had to worry about complying with anything regarding marijuana edibles handed down by the county, she intends on instructing any adults who purchase brownies, cookies, or candy from her store to keep it clear of children. "The parents have to be responsible just like it was any medication from a pharmacy. You keep it out of reach of children. You don't eat it in front of kids because they'll want it. Treat it like you would a medication. Keep it away from children, for sure," Lemberger said.

Stonehenge_Cannabis_t670.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Thedalleschronicle.com
Author: Staff

Back
Top Bottom