Water Cloning Technique

Smokin Moose

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex Moderator
Overview:

Water cloning is the simplest of all techniques, it involves no chemical hormones, doesn't cost any money
and is the quickest method to apply. It's only down falls are that it can take longer for roots to develop on your cutting and the success rate is not as high as using other methods that require chemical hormones, although this method can be used using basic and common things found in almost every home, which is a bonus!

Materials:

(1) 1 medium sized Cup: You will have to use a larger cup for larger cuttings.
(2) Water: Tap water is fine, it should be at room temperature.
(3) Cling wrap: Any brand is fine, for example Glad Wrap, etc.
(4) Scissors: Any sharp implement capable of cutting effectively is fine.
(5) Cutting: Must be fresh and approximately 10cm in length.

Instructions:

(1) Before we start we need a medium sized cup filled with approximately 3/4 of tap water.
The method works best if the water has been prepared roughly 15-20 minutes before we start,
this is so the water is at or near room temperature and the cutting will take up the water easier.

(2) Once the water has warmed slightly, we now cut a square piece of cling-wrap big enough to cover the top of the cup and wrap it over the top. If your worried the cling-wrap will come loose, use a rubber band or sticky tape to secure it.

(3)Now we take a cutting from the (hopefully) mother plant.
The cutting should be cut at a 45-degree angle and roughly 10cm in length and come from a healthy branch.
The cutting can be taken from either the bottom or middle of the plant, we won't take them from the top because that's were our best and most potent buds will grow. If you make the cutting too short, the stem will become soft over time and it will fail to root or die.

(4) Using a pointy thin object, such as the tip of the scissors and poke a hole in the top of the cling-wrap just smaller than the stem of the cutting. This is so the cutting will not fall through and so it fits in the hole snug and tight.

(5)Place the cutting in the newly made hole, making sure atleast 4cm is in the water.
Now we can place the fresh cutting near a window in a semi-shaded spot or place it under a weak fluorescent light.

Tips & Info:

It usually takes 2 weeks for roots to form, sometimes 3 weeks.
If your cutting has not rooted by this time, it may never form roots and you should discard it.

Cuttings can drink a lot of water, so be sure to check up on it every 3-4 days and add more water
if necessary.

Never give your cuttings full strength light, they are not yet strong enough to deal with the heat
and they will dry out quickly if you do.

Cuttings do poorly in cold places, so make sure it's in a warm area.

Happy cloning.
The simplest and easy way.
The best way for beginners and the like.

Overview:

Water cloning is the simplest of all techniques, it involves no chemical hormones, doesn't cost any money
and is the quickest method to apply. It's only down falls are that it can take longer for roots to develop on your cutting and the success rate is not as high as using other methods that require chemical hormones, although this method can be used using basic and common things found in almost every home, which is a bonus!

Materials:

(1) 1 medium sized Cup: You will have to use a larger cup for larger cuttings.
(2) Water: Tap water is fine, it should be at room temperature.
(3) Cling wrap: Any brand is fine, for example Glad Wrap, etc.
(4) Scissors: Any sharp implement capable of cutting effectively is fine.
(5) Cutting: Must be fresh and approximately 10cm in length.

Instructions:

(1) Before we start we need a medium sized cup filled with approximately 3/4 of tap water.
The method works best if the water has been prepared roughly 15-20 minutes before we start,
this is so the water is at or near room temperature and the cutting will take up the water easier.

(2) Once the water has warmed slightly, we now cut a square piece of cling-wrap big enough to cover the top of the cup and wrap it over the top. If your worried the cling-wrap will come loose, use a rubber band or sticky tape to secure it.

(3)Now we take a cutting from the (hopefully) mother plant.
The cutting should be cut at a 45-degree angle and roughly 10cm in length and come from a healthy branch.
The cutting can be taken from either the bottom or middle of the plant, we won't take them from the top because that's were our best and most potent buds will grow. If you make the cutting too short, the stem will become soft over time and it will fail to root or die.

(4) Using a pointy thin object, such as the tip of the scissors and poke a hole in the top of the cling-wrap just smaller than the stem of the cutting. This is so the cutting will not fall through and so it fits in the hole snug and tight.

(5)Place the cutting in the newly made hole, making sure atleast 4cm is in the water.
Now we can place the fresh cutting near a window in a semi-shaded spot or place it under a weak fluorescent light.

Tips & Info:

It usually takes 2 weeks for roots to form, sometimes 3 weeks.
If your cutting has not rooted by this time, it may never form roots and you should discard it.

Cuttings can drink a lot of water, so be sure to check up on it every 3-4 days and add more water
if necessary.

Never give your cuttings full strength light, they are not yet strong enough to deal with the heat
and they will dry out quickly if you do.

Cuttings do poorly in cold places, so make sure it's in a warm area.

Happy cloning.
The simplest and easy way.
The best way for beginners and the like.

WOW! Thanks for posting this easy method for cloning; I'm going to try it with my SourBubble ma-ma plant that I got gifted recently . . . hope it works! =Judy= :cool:

I started out cloning this way, and then I encountered some tough to clone strains and designed a bubble cloner to help. I haven't looked back since then. A small storage tote, some airstones, a couple pumps, black paint, and some Styrofoam(to make disposable plugs out of), and you're more or less in business.

is it really that simple.....? I've been struggling with mini rockwool cubes, lost some of my clones...seems they damped off right where the stem meets the rockwool. I like the idea of just putting the cuttings in water and the roots form, like my moms used to do with the hanging house plants..lol. I'm going to try this...should the cup be on a heating pad (propagation mat)?

It's possible, I was cloning them in shot glasses and they still developed healthy roots. It's so simple really and I never even cloned before :smokin:

The only issue with that method is time, usually it takes 10-14 days for cuttings to root.

Back
Top Bottom