Water Curing Reinvented

Kevo1963

If you are a grower and never tried water curing, then you are living in the past.​
Normally, you water cure in sealed jars immediately after harvesting. However, I believe I have discovered the absolute perfect way to cure your newly harvested bud in the shortest amount of time and with the best possible results.
I have done the experimentation that I am about to disclose, on three different grow cycles, and produced the SMOOTHEST, BEST TASTING, NO COUGHING, HIGH POTENCY buds I have ever experienced in 40 years.
I read about a guy using running water instead of water jarring, however I changed the steps. His idea made sense “The idea is that a continuous stream of water will cure faster. It works on the same principal as defrosting food, convection ovens, and even airflow in a grow room. Think of it this way; when you change the water at the end of the day, that water is saturated. Saturated water doesn’t absorb new minerals as well as clean water does. When you have a convection current, you’re guaranteeing clean water all the time. This is why you want a running fan in your grow room, instead of just airing it out once a day.”
So Here is where I tweak the method further.
Harvest your buds: Trim all excess leafage and if cola is more than 12” cut it in half from 6” to 8”. Then cut bottom of stem at 45-degree angle.
Hang your buds in a cool, dark space for 18 hours. Preferably with a dehumidifier to keep relative humidity at 45% or lower.
Next; place your buds in a large bowl and cover with a screen. I use a round frying pan grease splatter screen that has a handle on top, like those for cooking bacon so grease doesn’t splatter. Next you will run water over it. I used a very thin stream, so it was a small trickle of water coming in. The water was cool, but not cold. You want it cold enough that it doesn’t wilt the leaves, but not so cold that it makes the trichomes brittle. And you need just the smallest trickle of water. Too fast and you’ll agitate the trichomes and some will fall off. 8 hours is all it needs, maybe 10 if your buds are very dense or large.
Then you hang the buds up for again for 36 to 48 hours.
Once buds are crisp but nor brittle, and not still wet, transfer to a mason jar that has a humidity and temperature device installed so you can monitor the temp and humidity to 60-65% at a temperature of 68 to 76 degrees.
7 days later your buds are better than a typical 90-day cure process.
ENJOY the best bud you have ever had and drop a quarter in my jar.

Not to insult but I don't see how running water over your buds for 10 hours then hanging to dry and remove sed moisture then placing in jars to cure is an improvement to curing process. You are just added a step were you place more moisture in buds that will be removed when you hang dry.

Hey MM, not sure if you read through the entire process and reason given for running water over buds, vs soaking and changing water after saturated in traditional water cure method.
The process I mention has many advantages
That include shorter overall cure time, more potent and better tasting buds.
If you are also a grower and have developed your own technique that works for you, I would love to hear your methods. I’ll never be to old to say I don’t know everything and always willing to learn something new.

I can see how that would be useful for harsher strains but the terp profile will be washed away as well. And terps are what gives it taste, smell and flavor. I can see maybe doing this before extracting resin in a rosin press if you are concerned with smell but otherwise preserving the terps is what most of us are trying to achieve.

If you are a grower and never tried water curing, then you are living in the past.​
Normally, you water cure in sealed jars immediately after harvesting. However, I believe I have discovered the absolute perfect way to cure your newly harvested bud in the shortest amount of time and with the best possible results.
I have done the experimentation that I am about to disclose, on three different grow cycles, and produced the SMOOTHEST, BEST TASTING, NO COUGHING, HIGH POTENCY buds I have ever experienced in 40 years.
I read about a guy using running water instead of water jarring, however I changed the steps. His idea made sense “The idea is that a continuous stream of water will cure faster. It works on the same principal as defrosting food, convection ovens, and even airflow in a grow room. Think of it this way; when you change the water at the end of the day, that water is saturated. Saturated water doesn’t absorb new minerals as well as clean water does. When you have a convection current, you’re guaranteeing clean water all the time. This is why you want a running fan in your grow room, instead of just airing it out once a day.”
Harvest your buds: Trim all excess leafage and if cola is more than 12” cut it in half from 6” to 8”. Then cut bottom of stem at 45-degree angle.
Hang your buds in a cool, dark space for 18 hours. Preferably with a dehumidifier to keep relative humidity at 45% or lower.
Next; place your buds in a large bowl and cover with a screen. I use a round frying pan grease splatter screen that has a handle on top, like those for cooking bacon so grease doesn’t splatter. Next you will run water over it. I used a very thin stream, so it was a small trickle of water coming in. The water was cool, but not cold. You want it cold enough that it doesn’t wilt the leaves, but not so cold that it makes the trichomes brittle. And you need just the smallest trickle of water. Too fast and you’ll agitate the trichomes and some will fall off. 8 hours is all it needs, maybe 10 if your buds are very dense or large.
Once buds are crisp but nor brittle, and not still wet, transfer to a mason jar that has a humidity and temperature device installed so you can monitor the temp and humidity to 60-65% at a temperature of 68 to 76 degrees.
Hi Kevo, Interesting post. I have no experience with water curing or bud washing but will consider doing it to my current grow. Here, there is supposed to be a bit of strong rain in the next couple of days and that may well do it for me. My very first grow gave my best result. I think from; 1) it got wilted more than once with not getting watered when I was away, 2) the trichomes on harvest were about 70/30 cloudy/amber. And now from your post, I recollect the day before I gave the plant the chop it absolutely pelted down with rain for the whole day which I'd imagine would have gone some way to do a bud washing perhaps.

Do you have a reason for hanging the colas for 18 hours after harvest before then putting them to soak in running water. I had been thinking that perhaps the trichomes would become more fragile to getting knocked off the drier the buds got, and therefore maybe washing them was best done fresh as possible? Of course an 18 hour hang is not a full drying hang, and the important thing is you're getting results that you happy with.

Cheers

Take fresh buds, the size of golf balls, place it supermarket paper bags just cover the bottom. Shake daily and reposition buds for 5-7 days. Place in jars and burp twice a day for another week add boneva humidity pack 62%. I know it’s old school but som things are better off old school.Smooth and flavorful no harshness at all a great smoke :thumb:

Take fresh buds, the size of golf balls, place it supermarket paper bags just cover the bottom. Shake daily and reposition buds for 5-7 days. Place in jars and burp twice a day for another week add boneva humidity pack 62%. I know it’s old school but som things are better off old school.Smooth and flavorful no harshness at all a great smoke :thumb:
That's exactly what I did in last year's grow and seemed to turn out fine. However it is interesting reading many people's thought who speak highly of bud washing. Today the weather forecast is that it is going to bucket down with rain so my outdoor grow should get a great bud washing from that.

I’d like to see a pictorial of this.
:passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom