Water from a dehumidifer?

jaspertodd

Would it be ok to use the water from my Dehumidifer?
In my Hydro setup i only use distilled water.But now that its warmer my Dehumidifier is running 24-7 so i get like a gallon a day.So would this be ok to use instead of buying distlled water?Thanks....

This is just my thoughts but...
The water collected by a dehumidifier isn't pure, and it's probably best just to pour it down the drain. The water comes from condensate on refrigerant-type coils and it collects in a basin. The water washes dust out of the dehumidifier as it drips into the collection basin, where it also collects dirt.

Fish breeders won't use dehumidifier water in aquariums because fish don't breed well in it, possibly because copper or zinc collects in the water from the condensation coils. Watering plants may be the safest re-use of this water, however the minerals may be an issue there, too.

Someone else may have a differing opinion.. that's all I am offering here!

I took a fat bongrip today and began to wonder the same thing today...what strains were you smoking today...maybe we caught the same brainwave/vibe...lol

I was thinking because it is condensated water so it must be pure....well after some googling around I found some sources saying that people have used it with plants for years with great results, but also other's saying don't use it, for the reasons that CaptainKronic posted. I wouldn't use it unless you are running it thru some type of filter and treating it with H2O2. It seems that this water collects all kinds of minerals, bacterias and things that may not hold well with your plant...

After reading into this just a little bit, I am convinced to just use RO or distilled water with added amendments.

But this is just a decision based on 5 mins of research....lol..

This is just my thoughts but...
The water collected by a dehumidifier isn't pure, and it's probably best just to pour it down the drain. The water comes from condensate on refrigerant-type coils and it collects in a basin. The water washes dust out of the dehumidifier as it drips into the collection basin, where it also collects dirt.

Fish breeders won't use dehumidifier water in aquariums because fish don't breed well in it, possibly because copper or zinc collects in the water from the condensation coils. Watering plants may be the safest re-use of this water, however the minerals may be an issue there, too.

Someone else may have a differing opinion.. that's all I am offering here!

I'm with CK on this, but others aren't. It's almost like the 18/6 vs 24/0 debate, but if you've ever cleaned off refrigerant coils, that might change your mind. :rofl:

Would YOU drink it? My K.I.S.S. on water is, if I'll drink it, it's ok for the plants and vice versa.

DD

Back
Top Bottom