Waterfarm 8 Pack - What do folks think?

420fied has his game on point. However I think hes going to the EbbnGrow shortly.Hes one of the extremely experienced guys here....I should know

Why should you know? Bc you have over a thousand posts since you joined 6 months ago, HOLLY CRAP PIT!!! I guess you really are in the know.

Hey and by the way I just finished reading the entire "nest", freaking awesome job dude. I can't believe that journal flew under my radar for so long.

It's almost scary how many factors the two of us have in common as far as size and location of grow space, funding for it, and a general passion for doing it all the best it can be done.

As I've said before this will be my first hydro grow 100% on my own. I've grown >100 plants in soil for almost 15 years and after getting a little experience with ebb and flo this summer with a few pals, would like to jump in head first. Not to mention I am completely out of the large grow opp business, for good!!:slide:

The biggest thing that scares me about hydro is the Nutes formula; the cost as well as getting the mixture correct. Aside from nutes I feel confident growing plants and tending to the needs of a larger grow opp.

I've been considering what system to use for almost a year now and have gone back and forth several times and for several different reasons each time. I think after all the consideration of cost, what will work in my space and also where my interests lead me, I will go with an Ebb and Flo system.

Pit I note in your journal you mention the system being pushed to its limitations by the use of 20 sites? Would you mind sharing your thoughts in detail? Its funny that they advertise that system to hold up to 48 sites off only a 55 gal reservoir, seems obvious just from that information, that it wouldn't work all that great but I guess people will believe anything they read. Pit the reason I ask is bc I have room for about 20-30 flowering plants in my new room and was thinking 20 sites would be a great place to start.

Thanks in advance for all the input on this subject since I started this thread almost a year ago. I think January will be the beginning of this deal once and for all, and will of course journal it all for those interested.
Cheers

Pro I wouldn't be scared of hydro because of nutrients, simply put I did my research this year on nutrients, various brands, their claims, all the grow journals I could find for the contenders I had in mind, heard a lot of things, some good, some bad, but overall it came down from the experienced growers that basically all nutrient brands are the same, some more advanced, using better sources, or more easily absorb-able chelated forms of them. Learned about certain acids allowing greater absorption of nutrients at sub and over optimal pH.

With all that said though there is a simple formula, it's called the Lucas Formula, lots of grow journals out their demonstrating the results. It's in no way shape or form optimal for all strains and conditions, it's however balanced in favor of being applicable for all strains and conditions, at that point you can start tailoring to your specific needs.

To put it simply, FloraNova Bloom at 8 ml per RO gallon, that is for use under HID, from start to finish. Can't get more simple than that. I personally wish I was aware of that before I spent all this money on other nutrients testing the waters. But alas, I did not. Hindsight is always 50/50.

As for the Waterfarm 8, I got one, and yes the issues mentioned are valid. The issue with the drip rings clogging is simple to avoid with a weekly rinse, as noted.

As of my purchase date, the recirculation kit is standard.

The pH does balance out, however due to the slim piping of the system, it takes hours, upon hours for the volume to fully circulate and reach an equilibrium, I've spent the last four days, a few hours each day, using a water pump to manually circulate it faster for this very reason.

As it currently stands, I'm debating whether to redo all the piping connections in 3/4" or higher, using a spade bit to increase the pre-existing holes, and using bulkheads as interconnects. This would mean scraping the pumping column for the water return, which could be replaced with a water pump, creating a waterfall effect, often spoken of, which would eliminate the need for the additional air stones I have in the units.

All and all, this system has its flaws, I got mine for $260 shipped, the lowest price I could find on a CAP Ebb Gro was $400, it really came down to a financial stepping stone theory as for my choice of systems.

On CW, Lucas has a thread expunging the merits and flaws of various systems, their levels of complexity, their flexibilities, and I have to agree with him, this system as compared to Flood and Drain Tables, which are expensive but simple, and then Flood and Drain vs Ebb Gro, with Ebb Gro winning for sharing the simplicity of the above, while at the same time using far less water to achieve the same goal.

One more comment about the above, perhaps you could run 48 off a CAP EBB GRO, if you have an auto top off mechanism, auto pH adjustment, and auto nutrient mixing and delivery, now if you have all those factors, and pieces of equipment in place, then certainly you could use one central reservoir with confidence and that many sites.

I hope this helps someone before they get it.

In retrospect, I could have built this for less, and have had it be more flexible in the end.

Here is some first hand feed back. Had a few little ones in basicaly cup sized pots that had to go into something quick. It was kinda pre-ordained it would all be hydro and the water farms were very simple. So in to the buckets they went. Six of the eight got two babies each, the last two got one bucket by themselves. Started with 400ppm nutes w/ a ph of 6.2 or so. After about a week there was definately an issue. Showing deficiencies in the leaves. Investigation showed the last buckets in the string had ph over 6.9. Cleaned every thing out (pain!), started with fresh juice only this time the ph was set at 5.5, nutes at 800ppm. This was the ticket! But still not quite right. Then the recirculation kit was discovered. The kit was installed (kinda perculates like a coffee pot in the controller) with a couple of airstones, nutes up to 1000ppm, ph staying at 5.5 to 5.6. Oxygen is good!:cheer:Things really took off, ready to clone in two weeks. After that its been steady every two weeks for cloning and the mamas love it! A week after cutting you can hardly tell! The clones take in rockwool in a week with real strong showing roots in 14 days. A few (clones) were put into an aero cloner to test. WOW! In 14 days roots are no crap as long as your forearm!:smokin:

Pro I wouldn't be scared of hydro because of nutrients, simply put I did my research this year on nutrients, various brands, their claims, all the grow journals I could find for the contenders I had in mind, heard a lot of things, some good, some bad, but overall it came down from the experienced growers that basically all nutrient brands are the same, some more advanced, using better sources, or more easily absorb-able chelated forms of them. Learned about certain acids allowing greater absorption of nutrients at sub and over optimal pH.

With all that said though there is a simple formula, it's called the Lucas Formula, lots of grow journals out their demonstrating the results. It's in no way shape or form optimal for all strains and conditions, it's however balanced in favor of being applicable for all strains and conditions, at that point you can start tailoring to your specific needs.

To put it simply, FloraNova Bloom at 8 ml per RO gallon, that is for use under HID, from start to finish. Can't get more simple than that. I personally wish I was aware of that before I spent all this money on other nutrients testing the waters. But alas, I did not. Hindsight is always 50/50.

As for the Waterfarm 8, I got one, and yes the issues mentioned are valid. The issue with the drip rings clogging is simple to avoid with a weekly rinse, as noted.

As of my purchase date, the recirculation kit is standard.

The pH does balance out, however due to the slim piping of the system, it takes hours, upon hours for the volume to fully circulate and reach an equilibrium, I've spent the last four days, a few hours each day, using a water pump to manually circulate it faster for this very reason.

As it currently stands, I'm debating whether to redo all the piping connections in 3/4" or higher, using a spade bit to increase the pre-existing holes, and using bulkheads as interconnects. This would mean scraping the pumping column for the water return, which could be replaced with a water pump, creating a waterfall effect, often spoken of, which would eliminate the need for the additional air stones I have in the units.

All and all, this system has its flaws, I got mine for $260 shipped, the lowest price I could find on a CAP Ebb Gro was $400, it really came down to a financial stepping stone theory as for my choice of systems.

On CW, Lucas has a thread expunging the merits and flaws of various systems, their levels of complexity, their flexibilities, and I have to agree with him, this system as compared to Flood and Drain Tables, which are expensive but simple, and then Flood and Drain vs Ebb Gro, with Ebb Gro winning for sharing the simplicity of the above, while at the same time using far less water to achieve the same goal.

One more comment about the above, perhaps you could run 48 off a CAP EBB GRO, if you have an auto top off mechanism, auto pH adjustment, and auto nutrient mixing and delivery, now if you have all those factors, and pieces of equipment in place, then certainly you could use one central reservoir with confidence and that many sites.

I hope this helps someone before they get it.

In retrospect, I could have built this for less, and have had it be more flexible in the end.

or instead of getting a bigger tube and using another pump to pumpit, I always take a quart or gallon of the flushing solutioin and throw it down each bucket, several times, this gets the solution re-circulated immediately and spray the roots.

I have a quick question with the waterfarm. I just placed my 2 week old plants in the system... my question is how often should I run the bubblers? Should I set up to feed 3x a day and if so for how long? Or do I just leave them on 24x7?

I have done both ways , if they where small and just put in I was putting the watering on a timer so as not to drownd the young things, was only feeding when the lights where on , but seems to work fine 24/7 to just watch them

Leaving it on 24/7 will help a bit in the tubes not plugging up so bad. Nutes don't solidify as quickly when you just let it run. Here's a helpful hint for you.....get a syringe and fill it with real hot water and then unplug the air tube to whatever pot is plugged and push the hot water into the air tube and it will unplug it. Lots easier than taking it apart and poking a wire to free the air tube. I got tired of the salt build up and bought an Ebb and Grow system. I find it is a lot less work then the Water Farm.

Let them run! My 8 pack has been runnig 24hrs now for 8 months. I've noticed that my rings need a good cleaning about once a month. I've cycled mommas once now and broke everything down for a good scrubbing and rinse before replanting. Keeping them running is easy, they are very productive, the criculation kit should have been included in the kit! Once this was added, nary an issue! Love the farm!:cheer:

Don't know how i missed this thread..... Now way i could manage 8 waterfarms..... I'm thinking another 315 lec and taking on three farms at one time... one 10gal reservoir..... With three wf they will circulate the entire 18 gal in an hour...
EH, the reason i changed the plumbing was so each waterfarm uses it's own drip ring to circulate its own water from the reservoir, 6 gal an hour...... The GH system would only move 6 gal an hour through 8 wf and the reservoir..... I was just looking to speed up circulation without using a submersible pump that would add heat to the system..

The drip system seems to be everybodies main complaint actually, that and how stupid and complicated the whole system is. Ive never used the system before, nor have I took the proper time to research it thouroughly. But I know enough about it to determine that its suitable for begginers only and if your an experienced hydro grower youll be mad that youve wasted your money when it would be cheaper to set up various other systems.
I definitely agree with you, i have 3 of them, they clog up when using a sugar additive, and i could have just done a DWC bucket for 30 bucks instead of 75. But now i know next run will be just DWC buckets with double air stones

I definitely agree with you, i have 3 of them, they clog up when using a sugar additive, and i could have just done a DWC bucket for 30 bucks instead of 75. But now i know next run will be just DWC buckets with double air stones

I don't even use stones in my dwc buckets. Straight air injection. No problems.

you have 3 waterfarms connected or single units? I have never had my waterfarm, drip ring, or anything get clogged..
I have 3 singles didn't want to connect them BC of I have heard air pumps they come with just aren't strong enough and I can definitely verify that they get clogged
I use earth hi-brix juice and it's a sugar substitute and it clogs the shit out of the drip ring. But easy fix. Just pull it off and dip.in water and shake it and it comes out. Occasionally I'll have to take a screwdriver and unclog the pipe going into res. But I.love the top feed pots. Just get better root growth in regular dwc I have been growing this baby for about 3 weeks and look how good she looks her roots go all the way across the dwc
e777d30feaeef34efe2c8bb676ff8370.jpg
and it's also some great dwc LST work. All my side branches came in plus I topped her so she could be a high yeilder if I push veg for 2 more weeks which is perfect timing for flowering tent to clear out bleach it wipe it and start next grow

Sent from my Robin using 420

My cousin got me interested in the waterfarm systems, he has the 8 bucket set-up. After seeing how his system grew the plants to relative perfection I was sold. I don't have the room he does but I do have enough for a single waterfarm and have done very well this first time in hydro. I attempted a scrog in a 3x4 closet and didn't quite get the desired results, but completely satisfied with the farm it's my poor planning that screwed it up. Got some pics of my White Widow in flower 3 weeks then at a little over 5 weeks.

21 days
20161222_071749.jpg
20161222_070809.jpg
20161222_070946.jpg

38 days
20161231_074901.jpg
20161231_074823.jpg

20161125_182558.jpg
20161125_182558.jpg
20161119_203228.jpg
20161119_203122.jpg
20161119_203145.jpg
20161119_203012.jpg
I run 8 of them in a 4x8 tent. I haven't had to touch anything for 3 days... by far the simplest thing I have ever done... I used 3 last time and got 440 grams off 1k hps...

Back
Top Bottom