Waterford Township Officials OK Moratorium On Medical Marijuana Sales

Waterford Township trustees unanimously approved a six-month moratorium on new medical marijuana businesses and clubs Monday.

Township officials stated they needed to take time to examine how to deal with land use requests involving medical marijuana businesses and "compassionate clubs," places where patients and caregivers gather to purchase the product.

The current zoning ordinance also appears to prohibit medical marijuana land uses as a violation of federal law.

"A clearly defined and limited moratorium established while such zoning matters are reviewed is a common and legally defensible process," Community Planning and Development Director Robert Vallina said earlier.

With the vote, the Planning Commission will now investigate the matter and make a recommendation to the township board, officials said.

At the beginning of Monday's discussion, Supervisor Carl Solden read a statement telling the audience of about 40 that the township's ordinance would not interfere with people's "own medical marijuana use."

He spoke about the July 12 board meeting, when this ordinance was first discussed, saying there had been a "lot of chaos," referring to people shouting out from the audience and interrupting speakers.

"I'm asking for cooperation," he asked, and the attendees complied.

Before the board vote, many in the audience urged the board to forego any moratorium.

Kimberly Worden of Highland said she was able to walk because she uses medical marijuana.

"I'm fighting for my civil rights (by asking that the moratorium be ignored)," Worden said. "I need this."

Brian Kohlmeyer of Waterford, a medical marijuana patient, said he was disabled and had taken painkillers through the years before turning to marijuana.

"If you decide to stop dispensaries, you will hurt everybody like me," he said.

"This helps me live a decent life."

Trustee David Kramer said he visited a dispensary and found it to be "clean and well-organized."

He urged the Planning Commission to "thoroughly investigate this issue and be compassionate to the needs of patients."

Trustee David Maloney said the state's Medical Marijuana Act had a "lot of ambiguities."

"The board is being prudent (by examining the issue)," he said.

He thanked medical marijuana supporters for enlightening him on the topic.

Bette O'Shea, a trustee, said the board was not against medical marijuana, but that "we are trying to protect dispensaries."

After the meeting, Jason West, a medical marijuana patient and a member of the Waterford Compassionate Club, stood outdoors with other supporters.

"I was hoping to see a better result and that they'd forget the moratorium," said West, an organic farmer.

Asked if he planned to attend the Planning Commission meetings on marijuana, he said yes.

"I support what (the dispensaries) are doing."

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Oakland Press
Author: CAROL HOPKINS
Copyright: 2010 The Oakland Press

* Thanks to MedicalNeed for submitting this article

Back
Top Bottom