Watering & Feeding Question

epsteindrive

420 Member
I know this must be obvious but for some reason I can't get my head around it or find the answer anywhere.
When I add my nutrients to water for feeding, then at that point do I just use the feed with that as if it was water, watering whenever the plant requires? There is a lot of material about how to water but none of them mention anything about feeding - so when they talk about watering the plant, they are really taking about feeding/watering ( two operations in one ) ... or am I mistaken about something.

Sometimes yes, others no...

I grow in coco / perlite in a drain to waste hydroponics system , and always water with a nutrient solution. Some folks treat soil much the same way. We usually just say watering rather than 'applying a nutrient solution.'

Some soil growers will differentiate between watering, and fertilizing. These are usually folks using chemical fertilizers.

And then there's the LOS (Living Organic Soil) team. Watering to them usually means just water. They will talk about giving the plants a 'tea.' The tea is a nutrient solution of water and organic materials. They also will use the term top-dressing, which usually means working solid organic material into the top layer of soil.

... so, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

If it's not clear in the thread just ask. Most of us are happy to share.

thanks for answers

... so does that mean that the plant nutrients ( in a chemical setup - I'm using the flora micro/bloom lucas formula ) are sort of dictated to by how much water they need ... or do the two ( nutrient needs and water needs ) usually just happen to co-incide ?

Before I looked into this I would have expected the two ( watering and nutrients ) to be separate actioins - I don't know how that would work but I suppose I imagined putting on a much smaller amount of a stronger fertilizer mix and then watering would be just watering as the plant required ... but the way it's done it seems like if the plant needs less water and more fertilizer (or visa versa ) on any given day then you'd have to make up a new batch of neuts with a different mix ... or maybe that doesn't happen - sorry I should have said this is my second grow and the last one I didn't use chemical neuts - that's why I'm trying to get my head around it

These are the nutrients I use, yeah seems like everything is different between companies but I mix these in the water every time I water.

Goes from seedlings and cuttings all the way to late flower.

Back
Top Bottom