Watering question

greenmystic

I am wondering what kind of water to use. Plain tap water, filtered tap water, distilled water, mineral water, R/O water are all options. Will any kind work better than others?

Also, I have heard that bubbling water with an air stone for 24 hours before watering is helpful as it oxygenates the water. Is that a good thing to do?

Thanks!

I just use tap. Sometimes I bubble and I usually have 25 gal or so sitting out on the deck, but if I have to use it straight from the tap, no big deal. The micro herd isn't THAT sensitive.

RO and distilled are 'dead' waters and not the best for soil use and even less so for organics. Not even that good for you to drink on a steady basis. Life needs all those minerals that RO and distilled don't have.

DD

I use a Brita filter pitcher for my water. Drops my ph down and cleans up the water some. Easy for me since I have a small scale grow. I have a buddy that uses tap like DD mentioned above, he has good results as well.
Either way you should should flush regularly when growing in soil.

I'm not sold on the air bubbles in water theory when it comes to soil. By the time the water seeps down into the soil the amount of oxygen previously added to the water is not effective. Just my opinion.

For more oxygen to the roots try out Smart Pots. I will never use anything else again!

Good luck with your grow!

tap water- let it sit and breath for 24 hrs before use, this lets the clorine evaporate. air stone helps this along. ive a 15 gal. res. i dont use the stone anymore.
r/o water and other filtered or treated waters are now missing certain minerals needed for vigerous plant growth. they will still grow a plant!
whats easy to obtain on a continual basis, one thats easy to get and there is nothin wrong with it. it will depend where you are and the process used to get the water to you.
i personally dont do it, i have but to much work for all the little things. i concentrate on the things that will make the biggest differnce.
adding a superthrive to any regiment is a good idea, stress is much easier to deal with. thats if there is any! superthrive stoped all the problems i was having!!
peace

i also use the air bubbler in my water and it seems to be working great,take a look at my pics,im also a 1st time indoor grower,so far so good!

there is so much more to getting quality smoke. even after dried there is more wore to do. curing is the only way to finish the cannabis you just spent so much time on!

Water is water but if you're really concerend filter it through some Activated Carbon or a Brita Pitcher. I've never once had a problem with plain tap water.

EDIT: Oops I forgot alot of people let the water sit for a day or too aswell. I usually do but straight from the tap is fine in a pinch.

well its not to hard to find out what they are using. ask. where i live its just clorine in pressure tanks.

Water is water but if you're really concerend filter it through some Activated Carbon or a Brita Pitcher. I've never once had a problem with plain tap water.

EDIT: Oops I forgot alot of people let the water sit for a day or too aswell. I usually do but straight from the tap is fine in a pinch.

wow! not so my good grower. there are many different waters around the usa. surface, well, rain, ... all with very different micro neuts!!!!
that will effect the plant, ya got to know what your doin to get the most out of your water.

Removing chloramine from water
Chloramine can be removed from tap water by treatment with superchlorination (10 ppm or more of free chlorine, such as from a dose of sodium hypochlorite bleach or pool sanitizer) while maintaining a pH of about 7 (such as from a dose of hydrochloric acid). Hypochlorous acid from the free chlorine strips the ammonia from the chloramine, and the ammonia outgasses from the surface of the bulk water. This process takes about 24 hours for normal tap water concentrations of a few ppm of chloramine. Residual free chlorine can then be removed by exposure to bright sunlight for about 4 hours.

so what now fyi. you are so funny, those tryin to disrupt others and their quests. go get em with the info you dont have!

im no ass! i do my homework! my buds are better than any mag. ive ever read!
i have knowlege to some degree and like to share. im a 100% disabled guy tryin to make a difference. people that do these things have no life and just want to make trouble.
well im askin you just stay away so we can grow to the best of our abilities.
im not a 100% correct all the time! difference is i care and dont just throw words out!
anyone is welcome. any problems will be reported. just leave us alone, we are tryin to better our lives. not ruin others. there is more here than you understand.
dont be an a--!
this is as polite as i can be
peace

wow! not so my good grower. there are many different waters around the usa. surface, well, rain, ... all with very different micro neuts!!!!
that will effect the plant, ya got to know what your doin to get the most out of your water.

This is true, I guess I'm speaking from a local perspective.

Btw, I believe the quadruple post was a tad excessive...

Usually let it sit, but if I must water with no prep. I read somewhere that pouring the water back and forth between two pitchers 6-7 times removes/evaps. most cemicals? Its what I do.
(In a quick pinch.)

I am really surprised to see how many are using tap water.... of those that are using tap water, have you tested the ph and ppm's of it? I would be curious to know what those measurements would be because my sink water rates at around 290-300ppm and ph sits high at around 8.4. (this is out of the sink, not bubbled or left to sit out) From a lot of reading that I have done about this, wouldn't this be considered too high to use for clones and even 1st week of veg? or in general?

Also another question... why would using distilled water or RO water be bad, since many of us are using complex organic soils which already have many nutrients in them? ...and additionally adding macro and micro nutrients with our feedings, is this not enough? or was the comment only for those who use water alone, no nutrients?

Thanks for your info guys!! great site and I love the Organic sub-forum. This is my first grow attempt so please feel free to check out my journal and leave comments...trying to do everything right the first time :) I have been using distilled water throughout the whole process, except for a week where I mistakenly bought filtered crap water instead(the same week my hanna ph meter was out of wack) and stunted my plants for a week....oops...I learned to always calibrate the ph meter before use...

Can't wait to hear your opinions..!!

my water is from a well 25 miles from here. i helped maintain all 5 wells till i was put on disability.
the ppm runs at 154
ph is crazy it used to be 8.5 for years. then one day my plants looked different, i checked the ph last and found it had dropped to 7. i had to readjust my ratios to bring my ph into the range i like. 5.8 to 6.0. distilled water is like dead water. the solids in the water help do many different things to the soil. i do believe it helps pull unwanted solids out of the soil. it can be used but youll have many more problems. i know i used to try and use it. this is a learning game and its everyday i learn. ive been doin this for at least 8 to 10 yrs now. make sure to always use quality gennetics. there is no worse feeling than when you try and utilize what you just put all the time and effort into to find out its crap. ditch weed or close to it. organics are so sweet the right type and the right doses and watch out! i love the smells and so many different intense tastes!
keep up the good work
peace

well water is probobly thee best water to use because its completely from the earth untill it hit ur water softener and clorinator.. but even then it stays the best option. i uve used this method alot mixing my teas before hand till an hour or so till feeding.

i was at my local petshop asking about their pumps and what not for their gardens (not that thats what I was really going for haha) and found out that oddly enough they sell PH balanced (6.0) water they make themselves at $.50 a gal, I just bring in some empty jugs and they fill them up. Not sure if its a possibility in your area.

Though try finding ANY other components, soil, nutes, any of that good stuff and people look at you like you have three heads. Guess I had to luck out with something.

Back
Top Bottom