Watering Technique For A Seedling?

Spiderman

Hey All,

I have read a ton on this site and have come to learn "you don't know what you don't know" so ask for advice:

I have a seedling in a small 1/2 quart pot of Pro-mix which is currently at her 3rd nod of true leaves. I have undoubtedly over watered and the results of this have made for a very unhappy Herbie, so here's my question:

Question 1
After Herbie is dried-out and I am ready to water again, do I apply the technique from Emilya's watering post The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant (using far less water of course) whereby I water enough to have "run-off"? and then repeat with drying Herbie out again before next watering?

Question 2
When does a seedling transition from seedling stage to veg stage?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

When I water i do the same thing water a little let it absorb in then a bit more and a bit more etc until I get some run off. Give it a few days normally about 3 for me and generally ready to water again. If you havent id look up the lift method as well its handy to know as you can guess how much water is left in the pot.

As for your 2nd question I dont think theres any definitive answer (correct me if im wrong please :) ) I tend to class it as in veg around the 5th node

Hey All,

I have read a ton on this site and have come to learn "you don't know what you don't know" so ask for advice:

I have a seedling in a small 1/2 quart pot of Pro-mix which is currently at her 3rd nod of true leaves. I have undoubtedly over watered and the results of this have made for a very unhappy Herbie, so here's my question:

Question 1
After Herbie is dried-out and I am ready to water again, do I apply the technique from Emilya's watering post The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant (using far less water of course) whereby I water enough to have "run-off"? and then repeat with drying Herbie out again before next watering?

Question 2
When does a seedling transition from seedling stage to veg stage?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey 420 Friend .. I can answer Numero Uno :) Yes do it like she says in her post, really nice way of watering ... and you can either touch the soil and see if it dried out or even better way i think is lifting up the pot and feel the weight .. so then u just have to lift it once a day and you will know if she needs water ! Good Luck to you and your Plants :)

When I water i do the same thing water a little let it absorb in then a bit more and a bit more etc until I get some run off. Give it a few days normally about 3 for me and generally ready to water again. If you havent id look up the lift method as well its handy to know as you can guess how much water is left in the pot.

As for your 2nd question I dont think theres any definitive answer (correct me if im wrong please :) ) I tend to class it as in veg around the 5th node

Ya i would answer Question number 2 the same way .. for me the transition happens, when i transplant it the first time .. then its like switching from seedling to vegetative state :)

Thank you for the quick responses.

I've struggled with the watering "part" as my journal depicts and I want to get things sorted out as quickly as possible. I will deploy the wet/dry watering cycle using Emeyla's technique.

I also believe I hit the light way too hard with my little seedling (again as my journal depicts) and I kinda wanted a base-line for seedling to veg along with watching for signs of stretching so I can begin to move the plant up closer to the light based on it's needs.

The simple rule for plants in veg: Let plants dry out completely and then water very slowly and completely.
I call them seedlings until I see leaves with five fingers - usually three or four nodes.
I don't let seedlings or plants in full bloom dry out completely. When very young, they can't take it, but you still don't ever want them "wet". Once in bloom, the plant should have fully developed the root ball you are trying to build with wet/dry cycles and up-potting. The plant is now putting its energy into building our buds, not roots. Now you want to keep them fed as long as they don't have wet feet from a PWT in the bottom of the pot.

hi,

Size of pot is very important here. If your seedling is the small pot for future transplant you may water until runoff but it all depends... what soil you have, what is the temperature and humidity etc.

It's always a better idea to use sprayer until plant has some size, 2-3 weeks old and don't make your pot have runoff. Bigger plot with small plant can be wet for long time and it will stun your plant as overwatering is poroblemo umero uno here. And make sure your PH is right and no nutes until plant is 20-30cm tall.

I did not read all answers but seedling technically is a veg stage, it's growing. I don't think answer to this question has any bearing on growing.

My girls always love some nutes early on, they've all ready had some 1/4 strength and loving it. Thats what I love about his community loads of different ways of doing it!

Back
Top Bottom