Wattage and number of lights help - Can't make up my mind!

D3vilRid3r

420 Member
Hello everyone Joe AKA D3vilRid3r Here!

Aside from the basic HPS/MH information and lumens per square foot. My current grow is a 4x2x6 tent. Im doing 2 DWC LST Plants. Im having a hard time deciding how i should go about this. 2 600w lights? 1 1000 watt light? 2 400w lights? 1 600 per plant seems like it would have excellent yields as well as excellent canopy penetration.:tokin:.

Im also aware that heat could be a issue with 2 600s or even 1 1k. However the room inwhich i will be getting my intake air from is at 68 degrees year round, and i can always run a dedicated duct from the AC plenum to the tent. I Can also upgrade from 6'' inline fans to 8''.

Can i please get some input? Going for Most efficient high yielding light option and cant make up my mind.

I would stay away from that much hps wattage in an area that size, even with great ventilation. I run dual 300w led panels in the same size and its easily more than enough light, and heat. You also don't have all that much vertical space when you consider hanging the light, distance to the light, and pot height. Only leaves you with around 36" so you don't need insanely powerful lights unless you want to smoke them long before they're ready.

Are you set on HPS light and not using LEDs?
With a tent only 2' deep and 6' high, you will have a tough time with the amount of light you are talking about. Physically, there isn't much room for hoods. If you don't run a hood, you lose half the light upward and cannot use a cool tube - at least I haven't seen a setup like that. With the DWC, the light(s), and space needed between them, that doesn't leave much for the plants themselves. Then there is the heat. 68 degrees may sound good but it won't cool all that much. I run a single 600W + two 135W LED panels in a space that is 4' x 5' x 8'. The actual grow area is only 3'x3' but I have a little area off to one end for fans, timers, ballasts, etc. I grow in an unheated building and pull air in from outside (30 - 40 degrees). My fans (440 CFM + 80 CFM) run a lot to keep the temp's in line. In fact the small fan runs 24/7. I can't grow in there when it warms up. If I had A/C at 68 degree I probably could but it would be "iffy". Remember, a 1000W LED or HPS is really a 1000W heater that happens to give off light.

I agree, 68 degrees air intake with all those light options isn't going to do Jack. So, automatically plan the ac run and go from there.

The air coming into my cooltube is outside air... often in the 90's. It goes thru one end of the tube, then out of the tent. Whole unit stays way cool.

Interesting. I might run a 600hps in a 4x4 for a friend and was wondering about that element. Thanks

I think you are going to soon find out you have too much heat. Why not start with one dimmable 600 watt HID and go from there? You can always add another if heat is manageable and if it isn't you can always dim the ballast.

Back
Top Bottom