We The People: Petition To Legalize Marijuana

Julie Gardener

We have been breaking ground within the past 24 hours and are now at over 17,000 signatures. Only 5,000 were needed, but let's go above and beyond so they see that 'We the People' are making our voices heard and want this issue to be recognized. Your signature makes a difference. Please sign up, sign the petition and pass it on...

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:Legalize and Regulate Marijuana in a Manner Similar to Alcohol.

We the people want to know when we can have our "perfectly legitimate" discussion on marijuana legalization. Marijuana prohibition has resulted in the arrest of over 20 million Americans since 1965, countless lives ruined and hundreds of billions of tax dollars squandered and yet this policy has still failed to achieve its stated goals of lowering use rates, limiting the drug's access, and creating safer communities.

Isn't it time to legalize and regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol? If not, please explain why you feel that the continued criminalization of cannabis will achieve the results in the future that it has never achieved in the past?

Created: Sep 22, 2011

we_the_people.jpg

Related article...

9/22/2011 - Petition to legalize pot is first to hit White House threshold...

A proposal to legalize marijuana is the first idea on the White House's online petition site to gather enough signatures to break the threshold required to receive an official response.

The White House has promised to evaluate and issue a formal response to any idea that receives more than 5,000 signatures within 30 days. Visitors are free to offer their own proposals.

The first proposal to reach that limit asks, "Isn't it time to legalize and regulate marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol? If not, please explain why you feel that the continued criminalization of cannabis will achieve the results in the future that it has never achieved in the past?"

Currently, the fourth and sixth most popular petitions on the site also advocate legalizing marijuana.

The White House has not yet issued a formal response to the marijuana legalization petition.

Drug legalization questions have also dominated Obama's YouTube question-and-answer sessions.

By Brendan Sasso - 09/22/11

Source: Petition to legalize pot is first to hit White House threshold; ET proposal close - The Hill's Hillicon Valley

To the people who want to see Cannabis 'legalized'/regulated by our government. You really need to understand what you're asking for. Don't just run out and vote yes because you want smoke a doob on the street. You people need to realize why corperations like Monsanto, along with Big Pharma are asking their shareholders to advocate for the legalization of Cannabis.

I will not purchase or consume commercially grown, genetically modified, government regulated Cannabis.

20 years after legalization, when 90% of the Cannabis grown in this "great country" lacks all of it's THC content due to the mass cultivation of government regulated GMO Cannabis, Just remember... (This is what YOU wanted.)

Cancer is big business. 90% of the cancer curing/cancer killing properties found in Cannabis, are in it's THC. Big Pharma knows this. They've known this for years! Without cancer, Big Pharma will lose billions of dollars. Without THC, this won't happen, hence government regulated, genetically modified Cannabis, which lacks most if not all of it's THC content.

Legalize, Yes. Government regulated, NO!!!

while you're right to an extent, there will always be cannabis enthusiasts who will preserve and further perfecting the various strains available, such as today you have alcohol and tobacco enthusiasts who do the same. I know if it were legalized, I would continue exactly what I'm doing, but probably step it up a few gears, make a business out of it, all the while providing medicinal quality herb to those who seek it. I'm sure many many others share this similar mindset.

You really can't expect the government to ever legalize and not try to take their piece, not to mention their need for being "politically correct", they would never let a mind altering substance be free without any regulation. Imagine the swarms of angry people crying about the damage that is happening to their precious little children.

Think realistically at what is possible in today's society, there will need to be compromise on everyone's part, and since it is a mind altering substance, expect nothing more than it to be regulated like the others all are.

and this went up yesterday, and currently it has 17,319 signatures. I'm sure the white house will ignore it as they have consistently in the past. Crazy they say anything that has 5,000 in a month gets considered, what about 5,000 in a couple of hours? If that doesn't show the will of the people I don't know what will.

This petition was the very first one to get over 5,000 signatures, and it happened in the very first day. I certainly hope this shows the government what the will of the people is :)

To the people who want to see Cannabis 'legalized'/regulated by our government. You really need to understand what you're asking for. Don't just run out and vote yes because you want smoke a doob on the street. You people need to realize why corperations like Monsanto, along with Big Pharma are asking their shareholders to advocate for the legalization of Cannabis.

I will not purchase or consume commercially grown, genetically modified, government regulated Cannabis.

20 years after legalization, when 90% of the Cannabis grown in this "great country" lacks all of it's THC content due to the mass cultivation of government regulated GMO Cannabis, Just remember... (This is what YOU wanted.)

Cancer is big business. 90% of the cancer curing/cancer killing properties found in Cannabis, are in it's THC. Big Pharma knows this. They've known this for years! Without cancer, Big Pharma will lose billions of dollars. Without THC, this won't happen, hence government regulated, genetically modified Cannabis, which lacks most if not all of it's THC content.

Legalize, Yes. Government regulated, NO!!!

Weed will never be legal with this attitude. Just like alcohol, the masses (including me) will not want marijuana so free that every ten-year-old has instant access to it (sick kids get a big pass on this; I'm only talking about normal kids who aren't in any pain or otherwise suffering).

Why are you so afraid of weed being controlled if it's regulated like beer? I know several people off the top of my head who brew their own beer, one of whom does a great job at it. I know there are countless microbreweries that produce very high-quality beers.

Weed is too easy to grow for big pharma or a corporate entity to control it completely. Will there be shitty versions made by big companies? Of course, just like there's Coors and Bud. But those certainly will not be the only options.

As for your concerns about THC, THC is only one of many ingredients, and most of the medicinal properties are in various cannabinoids, so finding a way to remove THC would only remove the high, making for a great medical option for those who still need to go to work with a level head.

So why all these patents by big pharma? Because they know how unlikely it is that weed will ever become legal. Too many people just don't want it legalized: dealers who earn a living selling it, alcohol and tobacco companies, the health care industry, and people like you who would rather chase an impossible dream than compromise.

Instead, big pharma is patenting specific cannabinoids so that they can legally make synthetics and/or extracts they can sell for outrageous prices, much like Marinol. Keeping the source (cannabis plant) illegal means they can use the ingredients to make a killing.

You say you don't want big pharma to control pot, but that's already happened. People with your attitude are only helping the dealers and the health care industry.

Thc is just one of the 80-90 compounds in weed. Many of th other ones have healing properties that were just now finding and some that we never will unless it legal so we can research the shit out of it.

Back
Top Bottom