Hey there Weasel -congrats on the harvests. Looks greasy and frosty at the same time.

Keep them nug jars full buddy.

Say whaaaaaat? I intend to get some after the holidays when funds are plentiful, but allegedly you can shave off about a week to finish due to getting the plants to sleep quicker each night which should translate into getting more growth accomplished each day and night.

Here's something that works and will take 15-20% off the finish time.

Malted barley from brew supply store. In a coffee grinder grind down to a fine powder. Can mix in with soil @ 1-2 cups per cubic foot (7.5gal) and/or top dress/water in. Top dress a few tbs and scratch into the soil then water.

This works, been using it for years now on strains I'm very familiar with. I run many Sativa that take well over 100 days to flower. This cuts 15-20 days off my flowering times with them and the hybrids can knock a week or so easy with the bonus of extra resin.

I think the peeling resin thing must just relate to plant size/biomass processed. And to strain too obviously- but I can’t claim it’s my growing skills cause I remember peeling resin off my fingers back in the dark ages ten years ago when I know for sure I didn’t grow anything really worth a shit. But I was growing more plants than now. With some plants/strains it doesn’t happen. It takes a fairly large gooey one to get to the peeling stage. With the Carnival in the 15 gallon pot it happened twice. What doesn’t peel off naturally by itself like that has to be rubbed and scraped off, which isn’t nearly as satisfying.

Skybound I wouldn’t worry about what I said about the PC. I think it’s partly personal preference. But also something to do with my grow, I guess. Maybe because I’m running 11/13 hours? I really don’t know. I’m just using HPS lights and generic nutrients so I wouldn’t think I’d be much different than anyone else. I looked up the stated PC flowering time just now and it says 60 days. I’ve never finished anything flowering in 60 days in my life. Personal preference aside, I don’t think anyone could look at my PC when is at 60 days and say it’s done. It’s just a bunch of leafy crap at that point. :hmmmm:

Speaking of the PC, and resin- it’s still definitely my stickiest plant. I was taking the machete to an overgrown one in veg a few days ago- and got my hands uncomfortably sticky just from that vegging one.

I’ve read of the Emerson effect in passing on some thread, never thought about doing anything with it before. Change is a little slow around this grow- most of the time I barely have time to run past and throw the plants food and water.

Thanks Bob. Malted barley hey? I’m growing in soilless, not true soil, would it work the same way I wonder?

Got the Recharge in the mail today so I mixed up a little and shared it out to the plants. :thumb:

Quit smoking tobacco yesterday and it’s messing with my head a bit :)

Good luck with quitting smoking tobacco! I quit years ago and thank myself all the time. I don't even want it anymore. I have a cig or cigar at a party or something once in a while and they just give me a head rush and it's no fun anymore. I made a promise to myself on new years day - this time I was really going to quit. I was dirt poor and the $250 a month I was spending on rolling my own cigs was a lot of money. I was smoking 2 or more packs a day basically. I took that $250 and gifted myself one of my favorite things. New socks. I wore a brand new pair of socks everyday for the next 4 months. That's what got me to quit. It's been 8 years or something like that and about 6 months ago I finally had to go out and buy socks again.

I'm interested in the barley thing. What does it do exactly?

Cheers,

I been tryna quit smoking cigs for many years, still a no go. I need less stress to try again. I'd like to know more about barley too.

Only smoke when I crack a beer or play lawn bowls. rather not have a beer if I can't have a smoke..

cheers weaseley,, give er, give em hell,,

it's all about one having control over ones brain,, in my little world,, your brain and the other fella in yer brain will decide weather you smoke or not

you say no but that other prick says yes,, please

you could lay some damage on that other one but,, well,, might hurt you a bit too

so,, i finally took the plunge and bot a real light,, the one i showed you earlier,, should be here monday,, i am very excited to say the least

sheesh,, the things that get me excited these days,, oh my,,,,,,,

best not post a link,, but a chilled logic 2 x 3 kit with growmau pucks and a heckof a messa led lights,, with added red for kicks

you know,, i had a delay in the purchase,, so i checked out alibaba.com,, and found just what i was looking for,, for a good price..

i tried to buy the darn thing too,, but could not get thru the paperwork to finish the purchase

ha, funny,, so i finished the deal i finished,, and here we go

cheers friend,, will letcha know how it looks

oh ya,, me and the missus quit same day,, 25 years ago or so,, for me,, life savers were a real life saver,, hmmmm, butterscotch:drool:

I have my eyes on those grow mau5 pucks, but damn they're pricey. I want to add far red to my fixtures so maybe it'll be better to get the small emerson boards. What driver is used for your 2x3 nivek?

I have my eyes on those grow mau5 pucks, but damn they're pricey. I want to add far red to my fixtures so maybe it'll be better to get the small emerson boards. What driver is used for your 2x3 nivek?

price,, well,, i thot they were actually a bit less than some of the quantum boards i was looking at,, i found a price point and power/size that would fit for me

as for the driver,, rapid led advised me to use a 'HLG-240H-C1750B ' driver,, i guess this thing converts from ac to dc or vice versa,, still not sure about all that

so i have three grownau chilled logic pucks,, the driver above,, pumping out 250 watts for my little space

i have no clue what to expect for light, cept it will be bright and white,, but will find out on scheduled delivery day of monday next week

cheers bounder,,

Yes, the drivers convert AC to DC, and spreads the available power across the array. I am a recent convert from HID to COBs also and I am happy overall. I did notice a minor decrease in weight, but everything else is on the Pro side, better spectrum which produces better plants, a shit load less heat, more of my electricity is used to produce actual light and I can adjust the output based on how the plant responds. In my system, about 75% of the power is pushing the borderline of too much light, even at 3 feet away. I hope you also got the reflectors because these fuckers are like looking at arc welding and can blind you in about a second. I accidentally glance directly at lit COBs all the time and kick myself every time. I need to invest in some torching goggles.

Edit - yeah, I just went to their site to check their price and @$50 per puck, they're twice the price of the Vero29 COBs. I have 18 COBs, 6 in each of my 3 rooms. Perhaps the 100w pucks would out perform the Veros enough to justify the expense, but that would double the cost of each fixture. I think with each Vero, I can get a little more than 80 watts.

ya know,, i never even really thot about the glare,, and the potential for welders flash,, i guess i best think a bit about that

one thing for sure,, i will do because you mentioned this,, is i will get some wire and make sure the dimmer switch is very accessible from the doorway to the flower room. i already have a blind installed that holds back some light,,

but some glasses must be a must,, mustn't they??

as for prices,, yes,, i looked at cobs too,, and my discussion point would be that these are not cobs,, in fact these are the next generation,, these 'replace' cobs in the modern grow room,, (sic)

i sound like the growmau salesman,, but that is their logic,, and i bot in

the absolute selling point on these lights is the built in extra red,,, every where i read about quantum boards is how folks suggest to add extra red,, well these logic pucks have it already

cheers skybo,, glad to see an experienced light person diggin these lights,,

I'm definitely not experienced in the lighting department, I just learned the basics about LEDs. I couldn't tell how many moles or micromoles my lights emit or nothing like that, just regurgitate talking points like better quality light than HPS, more agreeable color temp for our eyes, more flexibility in the circuit, less heat, less watts at the wall, yada yada yada. If you have access to a 3D printer, I designed a bracket to mount to the fixture that holds the potentiometer and the AC inlet socket. Also a few other handy grow room doo dads.

Skybound420's Thingiverse Profile

HLG-240H-C1750B

The 'drivers' (a.k.a. 'power supply') come in various flavors.
The 'B' model (HLG-240H-C1750B) is the model with externally connected dimming. No built in dimming knob.
I prefer the 'AB' models that offers both internal and external dimming options. The price is the same in the marketplace generally.
I made the same faux-pas and now wish I had the built in dimmer knob on the driver.... much easier.

Bounder,, cool about your threed printing. first time I have ever been exposed to someone who actively uses one. great stuff indeed

CCheers to yas

TTead,, i dunna see why having a dimmer attached to the driver, would be an advantage. would one not want the dimmer accessible? on the light, or on the dimmer, which is on the light,, does not sound very accessible to me

SSeems I would want to dim the thing whilst in its prescence,, no???

Thanks for the info tead,, a little bit clearer now friends,, thanks for the assistance with this

Happy to chime in when I know something. I wish I had realized when I purchased.
You'd think you'd want the remote dimmers.... but in my garden, I'm running full blast and have no desire to dim, but still want the options to dim at the driver or hook up remotes. I have the version without the built in knob and would rather just deal with it at the driver rather than dealing with hooking up and mounting dimmers.
It's all about options.... and the AB models keep all options available. One never knows when another option may become more attractive for whatever logistical reasons. One of those strategic decision kinda choices in Tead's humble opinion.

:passitleft:

Hey! I’ve run off for a while-things piled up a bit too much here and I haven’t had the 420 time. A one eyed racehorse can jump hurdles only so fast, I’ve discovered. That is- not very fast. Plus not really much happening in the grow to report anyway.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. It seems to me there always comes a time when, no matter the stress of the season, we end up settling down to breathe a sigh contentment, relief, or simple engorgment (not sure if that’s a word). Cheers friends. :passitleft:

I found out that the long awaited eye surgery, which I thought was pending, never even got booked cause someone forgot to make the call, and I’ve been anxiously waiting six months now for nothing. So after some runaround I took the long trip south to see the eye guy in person and try and straighten things out. So that’s taken up a lot of my time.
Good news- I can still see the eye chart even though it’s very fuzzy.
Bad news - I just can’t see any of the letters on it anymore...:( Not even one. I took a guess at one of the big ones but got it wrong. Ha ha ha. So the doc agreed I should probably get it fixed soon and hopefully that’ll happen before spring.

I shut one flowering light off and just have four plants in bloom now. The reason for the grow slowdown is that I haven’t been getting enough clones to root to keep it going.

However - I may have broken that cycle now, finally, thanks to the Recharge. I put a couple batches of cuttings in perlite to root (or not). As an experiment I gave Recharge (mixed in water) to one of the batches(4 cuttings). So far 3 of those 4 have rooted as of tonight- while none of the others without Recharge have.

I got roots on both the Golden Tigers and also on the OG/Thai cross. So they’ll all be going into flowering this week.

The Chocolope is budding slowly and the buds seem quite small, though it’s early weeks yet. But the plant is extremely sticky and resinous all over- similar to the PC even. So that’s a very positive sign. And kind of a happy surprise for a sativa-ish one.

And I harvested another Chocolate Mint.

That’s about all to report here. I’ll pop back in if anything interesting happens with the plants, or I simply develop a talkative mood. I hope everyone is well. :)

Edit. Oh yeah - thanks for the lighting talk info, and tobacco-relief support. Quitting was easy enough. Funny the mental games we put ourselves through...

Hey! I’ve run off for a while-things piled up a bit too much here and I haven’t had the 420 time. A one eyed racehorse can jump hurdles only so fast, I’ve discovered. That is- not very fast. Plus not really much happening in the grow to report anyway.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday. It seems to me there always comes a time when, no matter the stress of the season, we end up settling down to breathe a sigh contentment, relief, or simple engorgment (not sure if that’s a word). Cheers friends. :passitleft:

I found out that the long awaited eye surgery, which I thought was pending, never even got booked cause someone forgot to make the call, and I’ve been anxiously waiting six months now for nothing. So after some runaround I took the long trip south to see the eye guy in person and try and straighten things out. So that’s taken up a lot of my time.
Good news- I can still see the eye chart even though it’s very fuzzy.
Bad news - I just can’t see any of the letters on it anymore...:( Not even one. I took a guess at one of the big ones but got it wrong. Ha ha ha. So the doc agreed I should probably get it fixed soon and hopefully that’ll happen before spring.

I shut one flowering light off and just have four plants in bloom now. The reason for the grow slowdown is that I haven’t been getting enough clones to root to keep it going.

However - I may have broken that cycle now, finally, thanks to the Recharge. I put a couple batches of cuttings in perlite to root (or not). As an experiment I gave Recharge (mixed in water) to one of the batches(4 cuttings). So far 3 of those 4 have rooted as of tonight- while none of the others without Recharge have.

I got roots on both the Golden Tigers and also on the OG/Thai cross. So they’ll all be going into flowering this week.

The Chocolope is budding slowly and the buds seem quite small, though it’s early weeks yet. But the plant is extremely sticky and resinous all over- similar to the PC even. So that’s a very positive sign. And kind of a happy surprise for a sativa-ish one.

And I harvested another Chocolate Mint.

That’s about all to report here. I’ll pop back in if anything interesting happens with the plants, or I simply develop a talkative mood. I hope everyone is well. :)

Edit. Oh yeah - thanks for the lighting talk info, and tobacco-relief support. Quitting was easy enough. Funny the mental games we put ourselves through...

Merry X-mas, Brother! :high-five:
Get your eyes fixed so you can see how nice your plants look! :welldone:

Back
Top Bottom