Diametrically opposed worlds we live in. Fun stuff.

I think so, yes. I did do the city thing a bunch in my life. Now sometimes I forget it even exists, till I go to one and take a look around :hmmmm:

Looks like you have a endless supply of kelp! I really dig your lifestyle Weasel

Definitely an endless supply. I’ll normally get four or five truckloads of kelp for the veg garden. And a few of eelgrass for mulch on top of that.
Thanks MI. It’s mostly good.

Why would you want to do that?

Why clone the variegated plant? It’s just a hobby grow Grizz. Pretty plants, interesting new strains. It doesn’t necessarily make sense, apparently. I think I’ll probably end up shrinking it down to half the size at some point.

I don’t think the variegated one is necessarily harder to clone than anything else. I’m just having an overall cloning crisis at the moment

Warm water..

Oh you and your legal World, can spend time on meh cause it looks pretty :rofl: still in headspace of better best Chuck the rest, not to get busted with anything less :rofl:

Yeah maybe- possible the pump in there is heating things up too much. Conditions aren’t very warm here so I wouldn't think it was a problem but I’m going to stick a thermometer in and see.

Nah I definitely don’t live in a legal world or mindset- though I guess the pressure is a
lot less here than in Oz, especially in the last few years. I figure I’ll always be breaking a few hundred rules somehow just by waking up in the morning. But I don’t live in a place where there are many authorities to speak of- people tend to do what they want. My friends who moved over your way for a few years said all the pot growers are paranoid as hell and that in terms of the law, it’s a lot closer to being a police state. Possibly even worse than the good ol USA. I don’t know- I’ve never been (To Aus that is- did a fair amount of time in west coast US)

I’ve always mostly just grown for fun when it comes down to it. Even 12 years ago when I did a couple grows with a friend to try to make money, the money wasn’t worth the hard work and paranoia and the only thing that kept me doing it was the fun aspect. If it wasn’t fun I’d be way better off putting the time into something else.

Anyway- the bud off that plant definitely isn’t ‘meh’. Though if I wanted it to be more straightforward I’d clone off and just grow the non-variegated part.

We started as a jail.. you don't give criminals an island with all their civil liberties.. that's how we have evolved.. it's a nanny state more than police but sneaking shit from your baby sitter still makes you paranoid.. yes we are a bunch of paranoid fookers over here...
Personally, yeah it's fun, I guess, love hate relationship, can interfere with life (growing not the smoking aspect :rofl:) but start buying the shit and paranoia is easier to deal with

Yeah there’s no escaping history, unfortunately. Here it’s colonialism, rape and pillage and greed mostly. The machine doesn’t seem to have realized it’s running out of fuel and nobody can find the ‘off’ switch or figure out how to throttle down or turn directions, not that anyone seems to be looking for that either... :(

I’m just having an overall cloning crisis at the moment

Me too on clones. I see you have your kelp thing figured out. lol

If you wanna do a closed container - air tight. You can put the kelp in the closed container and in about 6-8 weeks later it wont smell anymore. When the smell is gone the tea is ready.

I make teas like that with Comfrey. Its another green manure.

For you city folk, we can easily get that same stink with a bucket of water and a hand full of dandelions added! A few daze later and yummmmm Good stuff.

For kelp the meals that are rinsed dried and cut kelp. These are used for animal feed (as supplement).

Also there is liquid kelp. This product is a reduction and its cooked under pressure. Its for the AG (for plants) industry.

Anyone wanna cozy up on a cold winter ... winter there's a good book on kelp and the industry and how it all got started:

1666060286152.png

1666060295410.png

It's an excellent read and LOTS of info on growing plants not just kelp. I would call it invaluable.

Some dudes can Clone a toothpick.... Im not one of those... Im more surprised when one roots, rather than disappointed when they don't.... Sucks losing plants that way...

Your timing is great- I just came on to post a couple pics of some roots that appeared today. Not very great roots, but right now for me any roots are great. They’re just the beginnings of some starting. Why anyone would want to see pics of them I don’t know, but wtf....
I’ve been changing the water in that cloner every few days. It could be helping- keeping the pythium bloom down as well as keeping it cooler.

put the kelp in the closed container and in about 6-8 weeks later it wont smell anymore. When the smell is gone the tea is ready

So- kind of a dense question- but that rotted down kelp sludge in the container, how would I apply it, in an indoor soilless grow like I’m doing? Watered down and added to the pots, used as an ingredient in a bubbled compost tea? In the past I’ve watered it a little and added it to the garden pots. But somehow it seems the vegetable garden is a lot more forgiving than the indoor one, which I’m constantly messing up.
Thanks Bob, and thanks for the book links. :thumb:

So- kind of a dense question- but that rotted down kelp sludge in the container, how would I apply it, in an indoor soilless grow like I’m doing? Watered down and added to the pots, used as an ingredient in a bubbled compost tea? In the past I’ve watered it a little and added it to the garden pots. But somehow it seems the vegetable garden is a lot more forgiving than the indoor one, which I’m constantly messing up.
Thanks Bob, and thanks for the book links. :thumb:

I would HIGHLY recommend checking into Bokashi Composting. I do Bokashi here for my fruits & veggies. It's all done in an airtight (NO smell!) container using effective micro-organisms. It will quickly compost down the kelp to a "sludge" that will not have a bad odor (Bokashi smells kind of pungent but not foul) and, during the process, it leaches a "tea" that can be diluted and used to build the micro-organisms in the soil.

Im getting results by putting cuttings into damp pot soil and sitting on window sill... Getting around 10℅ if I take 10 or 5℅ if I take 20 :rofl::rofl:

Im waiting for some of my veg garden to go to seed, then I plant summer crop.. got some of the tallest luttuce I've ever seen, around four foot.. gez wish I didn't look at records, feel like dwarfs now... There's one that grows 7 feet without help, biggest measured at 15' :rofl::rofl:

legal to get kelp off your beaches? Would hate to have to allert the authorities...

legal to get kelp off your beaches? Would hate to have to allert the authorities...

Authorities? That’s them people who rite books ain’t it? :eek: People been gathering stuff off the beaches here for the last 10,000 years or so. Try and stop me!

We get fishos stopping us.. problem is they also have gardens that like kelp :rofl::rofl: "look mate, just do it a little later at night and don't bring your trailer down..bag it up" :rofl::rofl:

Nah there’s no real civilization like that here. No one living on that beach for many hours drive. There are a few fishcops here. Not sure wtf they do all day- maybe got so busy turning a blind eye to the real problems their eyeballs rolled back inside their heads and they got dizzy and fell over.
The inter-tidal zone is sort of no mans land. Not land/not ocean. Just wait till a 70’ dead whale washes up in front of a town to rot all summer and you get to hear a whole lot of ‘it isn’t our jurisdiction’.

Tell them you answer to a higher authority....You want to get higher, and that's your authority! :rofl:

Oh I will if I see them. Thanks for the tip- I was planning to say something less polite but that will do.

Back
Top Bottom