I would HIGHLY recommend checking into Bokashi Composting. I do Bokashi here for my fruits & veggies. It's all done in an airtight (NO smell!) container using effective micro-organisms. It will quickly compost down the kelp to a "sludge" that will not have a bad odor (Bokashi smells kind of pungent but not foul) and, during the process, it leaches a "tea" that can be diluted and used to build the micro-organisms in the soil.

I looked that up this morning. Looks really interesting. I visited a bunch of sites. One called planet natural has a good summary. The Bokashi kits I found for sale are geared towards urban living/apartment dwellers, with only a tiny little composter that holds 5 pounds. Only natural since most customers are urban, of course.
I would need more. My composters are circles made of fencing wire that hold several hundred gallons each and they’re both full to the top so I’m going to start a fresh one soon.
Of course the concept is simple - some sort of inoculate of beneficial microbes (that you buy) and an airtight container to stew the the compost in anaerobically, and a tap on the bottom to drain the juice off daily. I don’t like that last part ‘daily’ so much, but the rest sounds really cool, including the juice. I’m thinking that the
concept could be jerry-rigged to suit me more.

Is it a seperate resiviour for the liquid? And that liquid needs to be diluted? How long does it last before going off? Could you leave tap on and drain to another container for use at a later time?

Whoops read it wrong- it only needs to be drained ‘every other day’. Seems like it would be bad to have air getting in through the drain tap- but I think some sort of pump on a timer could be rigged up. The stuff that comes out of it still needs to be composted a little more, but only for a couple weeks- making it a way faster system than mine. Also they mention that there are sites that show how to make your own inoculate.

Here’s a link - Bokashi: All You Need to Know | Planet Natural. And a quote from it.

The process itself is about as simple as it gets. Perhaps once a day you mix your kitchen waste (including meats and dairy products!) with a handful or so of Bokashi [the inoculate] (basically enough to coat it lightly) then press them it into the bin, sprinkle another handful of bran over them, and close the lid. (A plate or a layer of plastic over the pile helps seal it against the little air left in the bucket.) Large bones will not, of course, disappear over the course of ten days. The directions recommend cutting up small bones and even chopping other items into small pieces for maximum efficiency. If one chose to skip the chopping step, a few extra days’ fermentation time would probably reduce the larger pieces to thoroughly fermented mush.

When the bin is full, cover it tightly and set it aside somewhere in the house where it’s out of direct sunlight for ten days or so. Every other day, draw off the liquid, which can apparently be used as a fertilizer (in a very diluted form) or full strength to control slime in drains, pipes and septic systems.

....Drawing off liquid regularly helps maintain the environment needed by the bacteria that break down the organic materials. That liquid needs to be used within a day or so.

I put the Chocolope into flowering tonight. I have two rather sickly rooted cuttings of it, and at least one cutting in the cloner that’s starting to show little pre-root bumps, so I think I’m ok. My pics suck so I decided not to post them.
I also threw out a GTx3 that had been in flower for over a month. Five feet tall - it seems wasteful to toss it out now, but the thing took up so much space even after constant hacking and slashing. When I put it in there I was hoping the clone would be less troublesome than it was from seed, but not so. I have too many other plants coming along that need space, to wait another three months for that one to finish flowering. AK Gramma would be scolding me badly right now if she was still on this thread

Of course the concept is simple - some sort of inoculate of beneficial microbes (that you buy) and an airtight container to stew the the compost in anaerobically, and a tap on the bottom to drain the juice off daily. I don’t like that last part ‘daily’ so much, but the rest sounds really cool, including the juice. I’m thinking that the
concept could be jerry-rigged to suit me more.

You are correct! :thumb: Next, try a search for "large scale bokashi composting" and you'll find articles like this:

Large-scale Bokashi??!? | The Manic Gardener

Large Scale Bokashi Composting

BTW, assuming you "cook" your soil before planting, you just add the fermented Bokashi before cooking. And, assuming you add carbon materials to the bokashi, you can have it pretty close to ready-to-use! ;)

I read and bookmarked both those links and will dig around more tomorrow. Good stuff Mr K, thanks a lot. This might actually go somewhere- especially if it doesn’t involve buying much more stuff :).

I read and bookmarked both those links and will dig around more tomorrow. Good stuff Mr K, thanks a lot. This might actually go somewhere- especially if it doesn’t involve buying much more stuff :).
Hey, Brother, anything to help you NOT have to smell decaying kelp in your backyard for months! :high-five:

Heya weaseley,, just a Heya,, sending some karma up yer way

AAll good down south I guess,, i have been prepping for winter and not really looking forward to it

I have,the smell of kelp wafting over me right now,, miss that stuff, and where it lives

CCheers friend,, enjoy the day

Thank you Nivek. I keep making half-ass attempts to post an update on the garden, but the cell service has been too crappy and I’ve been generally too busy and too lazy to go hike down to the spot where it works and upload pics.
I did get my new PC seeds yesterday. :thumb: Put a couple in the sprouter yesterday eve, stuck the sprouter up above the wood stove where it’s warm, and put the rest of the seeds in a box on the shelf.
What do you know, this morning when I went to check, I found them the other way around - the sprouter laying in the box down on the shelf, and the seedpack up by the chimney keeping nice and warm. Stoners must have rearranged things when I wasn’t looking :hmmmm:
The seeds were already sprouted though, so I guess that shelf keeps warmer than I thought.

Anyone know the proper way to remove the seeds from those plastic bubbles? Anyway... I slashed my way in there.... I went to plant them and about a second after I took this pic I bumped the container and one seed went flying out and down into the veg plants without a sound. 15 minutes of crawling around on my hands and knees and I found the silly thing and buried it before it could get away again. A tricky strain to grow indeed

The hermies are starting to open up a little on the PC that I sprayed with silver.

I’ll use it to pollinate this one, hopefully.

Assuming that some of my problems with this strain are caused by a loss of vigour, in a strain I’ve been cloning and re-cloning for four years, maybe the seeds will be inferior as well? I don’t know.

Stick a clone outside at beginning of each season and Clone from her... Keep them alive and kicking with some rays and freshair...

Yeah that’s an interesting idea. Flowering weed here outdoors isn’t easy, but vegging one is simple enough, and it’s always nice to have outside plants (till someone finds them anyway). It might give the thing enough of a taste of freedom to stop its suicidal thoughts and moping around so it will be happy when it goes back inside the prison for another ten months of hard labour.

I haven’t had a lot of excitement happening in the grow lately so haven’t posted much- but a quick couple photos. The scraggy yellow plants in back to left and right of the fan, are a Carnival and a Y Griega respectively. They’re actually quite nice- I’ve just been letting them die in the vine. I’m hoping to harvest at least one of those today if I get time, then will post pics.

I’d like to be able to convince myself that these are roots starting...

But they look more likely to be some sort of mushrooms. :hmmmm:

Your got some roots starting but what are those jelly shrooms on stem there....

I will if you do :rofl:

Unfortunately those aren’t roots- just some stray stem fibers from when I made the cut. These cuttings have been in the cloner for over three weeks now- I’m going to hang in there and see what happens, in the name of science. I got three rooted cuttings from this batch now, and a couple maybes that are still trying. Mostly now though, it looks like I’m just growing mushrooms :(

I thought the blobs might be the start of roots that have been taken over by mushroom growth.
Or maybe they’re just mushrooms.

This one looks like it may be rooting, I’m not sure.

This Chocolate Mint is one of the few that rooted fine.

And this variegated cutting is trying. Go, little root.

I never took a close-up look, but I always called those white growths "root nubbies". And every time I've planted one in soil it rooted right away.

I think your 'shrooms are nubbies. :) This second one (the one in the pink holder) definitely shows roots. :thumb:

Somewhat randomly, I wanted to say thanks- internet friends, journal subscribers, lurkers, random weirdos - for subscribing and visiting this somewhat raggedy journal. Thanks friends, I appreciate it :):passitleft:

I’m not sure how much longer I’ll keep the journal going, since it’s not really going anywhere in particular at the moment. On the other hand, maybe that’s ok. I may well let it drift along in the winds of my farts a while longer and see what happens. It’s not the greatest time of year for me to make decisions. Ha ha ha.

I don’t know if its mainly a northern problem, I have a feeling it’s probably not, but around here people start getting weird this time of year, as holiday obligations and pressures increase, and daylight wanes. People get stressed and a little psychotic and start turning on each other. It’s the same every year here, the communities seem to swirl and spiral downward with a giant sucking sound, in the gravitational pull of a large brown hole. Usually by the time New Years rolls around the stress eases up a lot though. Whew! Looking forward to it, I must say..

~Carnival~

I meant to harvest this one yesterday, as I mentioned, but got too busy. Didn’t get to the Y Griega and I’m not sure when I’ll find the time, but after seeing that this yellow Carnival was fine, and taking another look at the YG tonight I think it will be ok for a while longer.

I’m not sure what else to say about this plant that I didn’t say last time. It’s a pleasure to grow, to smoke, and to work with. Grows easily and well, yields well, produces great smoke. It might work well for you @Skybound.

Back
Top Bottom