Website Upgrade: New Features

is anyone else having issues with the "similar threads" at the bottom of your screen where the journals are from 10 years ago? as shown on post #278

, which accounts for 75% of our traffic.
Would most of that 75% be non-members? If so I wonder about tailoring it so that those threads don’t show when you’re logged in? Just an idea.

Thank you for the work you do for all of us! AS a new member who has so benefited from the mentoring so far, may I suggest a new award each month for Mentor of the Month? It could be given to those who are so freely giving of advice and help to we newbies. It can't be easy seeing people (like me) make such dumb mistakes. I have experienced amazing kindness and so much help no matter how dumb my questions. It has been a godsend and I'd love to send all of the people who helped part of my harvest! In the absence of that it would be a great way to engage both side of the tribe you have created and give us newbies a way to say a big Thank You by nominating our favorites.

BTW, I'm grateful to you guys too, I wish I could get paid for this!

a way to say a big Thank You by nominating our favorites.
Would mentor of the month be that different from Member of the Month?

"Specifically, we're looking to thank those members that help and support our site in so many under recognized ways, such as:
  • Greeting new members
  • Helping people with questions
  • Peacemakers
  • Activism efforts
  • Promoting our Sponsors
  • Activity and content generation
  • Reporting violations
420 Magazine Staff will select nominees, members determine the winner by poll. This does not prohibit members from suggesting nominations to a Moderator via private message. When doing so, include detailed reasoning for your nomination."

"Specifically, we're looking to thank those members that help and support our site in so many under recognized ways, such as:
  • Greeting new members
  • Helping people with questions
  • Peacemakers
  • Activism efforts
  • Promoting our Sponsors
  • Activity and content generation
  • Reporting violations
420 Magazine Staff will select nominees, members determine the winner by poll. This does not prohibit members from suggesting nominations to a Moderator via private message. When doing so, include detailed reasoning for your nomination."
I think so. THere are a lot of members who help my saying hi, welcoming, and participating. However, my own experience there are a very few who rise so far beyond that sending long responses with detailed instructions around specific problems. But yes, if this is the right forum I'll start to nominate people there - and you would be on my list @InTheShed; you are one of those people for me!

In my opinion, a person who does a lot of mentoring is prime MotM candidate material. And this is not merely my opinion, as a glance at past months'/years' threads will show. There are lots of "{member} is usually found posting in help threads," "{member} took me under his/her wing when I didn't have a clue," etc. nomination statements.

give us newbies a way to say a big Thank You by nominating our favorites.

Nominating a person for MotM is an option (assuming you've attained the 50-post milestone). Another way to say thank you is to say (post) "thank you," lol. Although I never considered it a requirement for receiving my help, and assume others don't, either. But, you know... politeness, courtesy, and all that ;).

One can also decide to help others. If you learn a few things and wish to to answer the posts that your knowledge is adequate for, feel free to do so. If you learn a lot more, you can help a lot more. Or help in general, by doing some of the things mentioned in post #290. If you see that a person's question has gone unanswered for a while, you might not know the answer, but maybe you have a hunch that someone specific does - if so, you could consider "@paging" them. Nonspecific to this thing, but: Leave a can of beans on someone's porch if you think they're hungry. It doesn't matter all that much that the specific person you're helping didn't help you in that specific way... IMHO.

It's there to help people find help on the topic they are seeking, which accounts for 75% of our traffic.
i understand why its there, i just don't understand why they are so outdated threads. Even if i got to a fresh new thread, the similar threads are still outdated.

i understand why its there, i just don't understand why they are so outdated threads. Even if i got to a fresh new thread, the similar threads are still outdated.

The add-on probably isn't advanced enough to provide for different age ranges for threads from different sections of the forum. Or else there is, but the Exclude Days setting is configured to 420,420 (lol).

Even a grow journal that was completed by someone years ago might have information that is new to someone, though. Most old grow journal threads can still be posted in (assuming it wasn't sponsored by a former advertiser), and necroposting is allowed here. In other words, if someone has a question or comment about something they read in an old thread, they can post it, and there will be a reasonable likelihood that a member will respond (even if the person who created the thread is long gone).

Speaking of "similar threads" foibles... I just moved the mouse cursor below this message reply box and the pop-up thread summary informs me that "Forum Runner is an Android/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App that allows you to browse this forum using a native client." Responses to that old thread might cause more confusion than a few new posts in an old journal :rofl:.

The add-on probably isn't advanced enough to provide for different age ranges for threads from different sections of the forum. Or else there is, but the Exclude Days setting is configured to 420,420 (lol).

Even a grow journal that was completed by someone years ago might have information that is new to someone, though. Most old grow journal threads can still be posted in (assuming it wasn't sponsored by a former advertiser), and necroposting is allowed here. In other words, if someone has a question or comment about something they read in an old thread, they can post it, and there will be a reasonable likelihood that a member will respond (even if the person who created the thread is long gone).

Speaking of "similar threads" foibles... I just moved the mouse cursor below this message reply box and the pop-up thread summary informs me that "Forum Runner is an Android/iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad App that allows you to browse this forum using a native client." Responses to that old thread might cause more confusion than a few new posts in an old journal :rofl:.
it's just a filter adjustment. i don't think it has to do anything with being advanced. This website is actually very advanced if you look at the toolbars, page speed, load time and the entire structure of the site ;)

it's just a filter adjustment i don't think it has to do anything with being advanced.

Being able to only show recent threads from some sections, while allowing the full age range from all the others? Well, sure, the database structure would allow for it - but the add-on might not be advanced enough to make use of that. Sorry, I thought I stated that I was discussing the add-on itself, not the forum in general. Without mentioning any specifics, and briefly: Some types of computer software consist of a base unit and one or more add-ons, and "Internet forum" would definitely be one of them. Among other things, it allows for the addition of a feature. But it also means that an addition might not automatically do everything you'd expect (or hope), because it's more like choosing to put on a hat instead of being born with a pair of arms. They're accessories.

I tend to do a lot of searches, so this kind of add-on is not of great use to me, but I've already made some use of it. No, it's not going to be perfect - or even provide the "paranoia-inducing" level of accuracy that something like Google would. But I expect that it will be useful to a lot of people. Especially older people who might not be familiar with (or wish to deal with) the process of searching the forum and/or the Internet in general for information. It might help new users quickly gain more information about a topic they're reading about (or posting about). And this forum has a LOT of "guests," non-members who read threads. Assuming that the add-on is set up to show similar threads to them, too, either automatically or optionally... then it might serve to keep them "here" longer. And that's good, lol. It's good because they'll probably see more ad banners from our forum sponsors (providing those sponsors a better value for their money, meaning it helps justify their investment). It's good because the more time a person spends reading forum threads, the more likely they'll be to become a member. And, of course, it helps provide more information in the first place - even if every thread presented is not 100% useful to 100% of the people who see the list of similar threads.

I suppose, in a way, it's like the forum in general. You probably don't benefit from every single thread (or even every single section). But there might be someone who'll have a use for the things that you don't.

Limited algorithms aside, I’d like to add that old isn’t necessarily outdated ;)

Much of my time on 420 over the last few years has been spent reading the journal archives. Some of the best things I’ve discovered around here have been in old threads and journals from long before I was here. It can aslo be a nice way of getting to know people, or plants, or both.

Limited algorithms aside, I’d like to add that old isn’t necessarily outdated ;)

Much of my time on 420 over the last few years has been spent reading the journal archives. Some of the best things I’ve discovered around here have been in old threads and journals from long before I was here. It can aslo be a nice way of getting to know people, or plants, or both.
lol, i don't seem to bring my point across properly and i totally do not mind the old threads. lol, i just stopped carrying about the similar threads

Much of my time on 420 over the last few years has been spent reading the journal archives. Some of the best things I’ve discovered around here have been in old threads and journals from long before I was here.

^^^ Can greatly add to one's cannabis gardening knowledge - without the not inconsiderable expense in time, money, etc. that others have invested. ^^^

How do you guys like the new desktop header in the forums?

It now matches mobile view; more consistency, less confusion.

Still working on matching the header on the home and sponsors pages.

Back
Top Bottom