Website Upgrade: New Features

For me it’s hidden under in the third set of “three sea shell icons” but I think that may change depending on screen size.
9D66460A-D6FC-4C43-B311-B9CD3297FCE0.jpeg

:passitleft:
Is that the same three sea shells icon from Demolition man?

That reminds me- one more thing I haven’t found yet and then I’m going to stop polluting this thread. Where is the preview post button now?

On mine, it's on the second line, all by itself. That big chunk of blank space on the first line must be pretty important, I guess :rolleyes: . What is the purpose of that blank space?

I cannot figure out how to attach photo(s) as a thumbnail.

On a desktop or laptop, you will probably have a "paper clip" icon immediately below the message entry box, with "Attach files" beside it. If so, move your mouse cursor over it, and press and release the left mouse button. Or, if your computer has an apple on it, press and release the mouse button.

I'm not seeing anything that looks like a gas station pump, can you circle or point to it by editing the screenshot in Paint or Photoshop or something?

I'm not seeing anything that looks like a gas station pump, can you circle or point to it by editing the screenshot in Paint or Photoshop or something?

I think he's referring to the '47 Ford [EDIT: Might be a '55 Studebaker E series] pickup truck door that's upside-down and at a slight angle against the floor. [EDIT #2: In between the pair of brackets and the 3½" diskette that has the corner gnawed off of it.]

EDIT #3: Oops, lol, forgot to address the question. Hey, WC, that thing removes all the BBCode formatting from the message you're creating/editing - the bold, italics, et cetera.]

[Final(?) EDIT: I have to left-click on the "More options..." fence icon (no, not that "More options..." fence icon, the other one ;)) to get it to appear. The presentation of this stuff appears to be a bit different from one device to the next. More than the normal "one version for people with tiny displays and one version intended for people with reasonable-sized ones," apparently. I'd hate to have to try to teach anyone an elderly person how to use the forum unless I was sitting beside them and able to see exactly what they saw. Is there any way to get back to the one mobile version and one desktop/laptop version... version? With that, it was pretty easy to explain things to a new user with some expectation that you knew what they were seeing.]

Yeah sorry my vision is crap. InTheShed is right now that I look at it. Page with magnifying glass.

I’ll play with it more. Once I have long posts written out I’ve been paranoid about going through and pressing random buttons to try to find out what they do- and that situation- where I have a long elaborate post I’m scared to mess up or lose- is exactly where I would most want to preview the post.

Top of the page under the Members drop down there is a Search Conversations option.

That’s the search for the profile posts but I’d never seen it before so -thanks :)

If you click on *show all messeges* you will see a *conversation search* button above messeges

Ahh there it is right where I was looking, staring me in the face. I knew I’d used it before. Damn.:reading420magazine:
Need glasses after previous eye surgery and there have no visiting optometrists here to the Antarctic since that flu came along.

Thanks again everyone in general for the help on this thread.
:thanks:

There is so much activity going on everywhere else though, why limit yourself to just posts?

Once you click What's new you get all of these other new content areas to choose from as well.
Think of it like when someone finally upgraded from a flip phone to a smartphone.

It might have been awkward for a day or two, however the added entertainment was worth it.

The alerts were moved to clone the mobile view, which accounts for 75% of our readers.

Now when you move between devices, everything is in the same place.

More consistency, less confusion, more user/stoner friendly.

:goodluck:
I honestly don't know why anyone would want to look at this stuff on a phone. Screen is way too small. I use a 45" Screen on my computer. Sure makes viewing a breeze.
I think a lot of us who choose computer over phone because it's very hard to navigate a phone (Royal PITA).
Then there's people like me who have given up on trying to learn how to use those damned phones. I hate them in case you haven't noticed. I've thrown a few across the room & smashed them they get me so irritated. A phone is for making calls & nothing else in my book. Be a lot less accidents if they'd of left them that way.
Anyhow, my point is I think it was done backwards & the phone should have been made to replicate the computer screen. Hell, I haven't even gotten how to use a computer down to a science after all these years. Once you get older changes mean more difficult.
I do understand your point though as the Pepsi Generation has arrived & there's more of them then us old _____'s left on here so you go with what they know. Times are changing. God forbid if these sites ever become Phone Only !

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to look at this stuff on a phone. Screen is way too small. I use a 45" Screen on my computer.

I think it was done backwards & the phone should have been made to replicate the computer screen.

Neither should mimic the other, IMHO, for the reason that you alluded to - the extreme difference between the size of the two types of monitors/displays. You just end up with something that seems overly cluttered/busy on a small screen, needlessly sparse/barebones/crude on a larger screen, or - if you try for some kind of "middle of the road" compromise... both.

The two hardware experiences are very different - enhance your forum by taking advantage of that, by having two separate UIs that each take advantage of their respective hardware.

By the way, I finally got a new cell phone, and it's big on "dark mode" - one of its web browsers seems to have the ability to force a dark node onto the web pages it loads/ displays. I'm currently trying it out for forum use, and find that the color scheme is outstanding. It's pleasing to the eye (IMHO), presents as something mature and tasteful... and appears to be noticeably easier to read. It seems to make both the forum logo and the greens look better, too ;).

Back
Top Bottom