Weed Infused Coconut Oil?

There have been cases where the infusion doesn't really get the most out of your plant material. I've read somewhere that people were doing quick-wash, and the left-over plant material (after getting rid of the alcohol) can still get them high. So I think Old Salt's method might actually be more effective.

If I smoke it, I'll cough up a lung, so I started by de-carbing the flower, grinding it, and putting it into capsules. The strength varied from capsule to capsule as some had more trichomes than others. I bought the rosin press so I can mix and match strains to get what I want, and get consistent dosing in the capsules. These instructions produced 115 capsules, each equivalent to about 1/6 gram of flower. For stronger capsules or oil, increase the rosin and decrease the oil.

full

Rosin/Oil Capsule Instructions

If I smoke it, I'll cough up a lung, so I started by de-carbing the flower, grinding it, and putting it into capsules
Hey Salt - So just the straight, ground up dry weed in a capsule??? And then you started pressing later on?

I made a batch yesterday in the InstaPot: 20 grams of dry buds ground fine (coffee mill) and a cup of MCT oil. As an experiment I cooked it twice -- 110 minutes at 110C each time. I didn't let it cool between cookings.

I'm letting it settle now and will decant off the clearest oil (it could be drawn off with a turkey baster). I'm going to try using some of the sludge in an egg fritata rather than going through the messy process of squeezing every drop of oil out of it.

Hey Salt - So just the straight, ground up dry weed in a capsule??? And then you started pressing later on?
Yes, I used a coffee grinder to grind the flower for my first batches of capsules until I saved enough for the rosin press. As I mentioned, I was not happy with the varying strength of the capsules using ground dried flower.

I made a batch yesterday in the InstaPot: 20 grams of dry buds ground fine (coffee mill) and a cup of MCT oil. As an experiment I cooked it twice -- 110 minutes at 110C each time. I didn't let it cool between cookings.

I'm letting it settle now and will decant off the clearest oil (it could be drawn off with a turkey baster). I'm going to try using some of the sludge in an egg fritata rather than going through the messy process of squeezing every drop of oil out of it.
Hey Simon - I gotta know - How were your eggs???? Should I call 911 !!!

Did you use any lecithin in it?
No, I didn't. Lecithin is an emulsifier, normally used to allow a homogeneous mixture of two liquids than don't mix, such as oil and water. It keeps the two liquids from separating over time.

The rosin and coconut oil stay mixed well enough until I get the into the capsules in less than 15 minutes. It really doesn't matter if they separate in the capsule. I don't know it they do or not.

If I were making an infusion that I wanted to last in its liquid form, I'd add the lecithin.

I just decarb bud, crush it up to powder, put in 00 capsules and add a few drops of coconut oil or olive oil to the capsule.

My sugar leaf I decarb and make tea out of.
Melt about a 1/2 teaspoon of butter, add about a tablespoon of sugar leaf and crush it all up in the butter, put that into a tea infuser ball with dried peppermint leaves, put that into a cup with 8oz of hot water let steep 15 minutes, remove tea ball and microwave for 30 seconds and infuse another 10 minutes, open ball and squeeze all the butter out of the leaves.
Add a tiny bit of Honey and you got a nice cannabis peppermint tea.

Lecithin is supposed to make the THC more bioavailable and helps your liver metabolize it.

Hey Simon - I gotta know - How were your eggs???? Should I call 911 !!!

After draining off the coconut oil I carefully measured out exactly 1/4 teaspoon of the finely ground "sludge". I sauteed this for a minute or so in butter, then scrambled in a single egg and a bit of garlic.

The scrambled egg tasted quite good -- no easily noticeable cannabis flavor.

I like to measure and time things so I know that my typical under-the-tongue dose of our homemade cannabis oil will take noticeable effect in about 90 minutes.

A good way to test mind-altering drugs is to read a complicated book as you wait for the drug to kick in. I chose a book on the economic consequences of the Great Depression, fascinating but not an easy read.

Forty minutes after eating the egg, at 5:30 pm, I had to put the book down.

Keeping in mind that I haven't used cannabis recreationally for 30 years and that I am easily stoned, for the next 4 hours I was as high as the proverbial kite. So high, in fact, that all I could do was sit in my recliner and babble about next year's garden plans.

Finally, about 11 pm, I crawled into bed and fell asleep with a pillow over my head.

I don't like being stoned like this so I won't be repeating the experiment to verify that the sludge is actually as potent as it appears. At the very most I might try 1/8 teaspoon.

Someone with greater tolerance and experience might want to follow up on this, mainly because the amount of sludge left after draining off the oil is potentially quite a large number of doses.

Personally, I'm back to my usual conservative under-the-tongue oil routine!

Yesterday I used about 15 drops of "Store bought" Phoenix Tears (It's all I had left) and I heated what I thought would be the equivalent of 15 capsules of Coconut oil and a smidge of Liquid lecithin. I used a measuring cup and pan of water - I tried to keep it at about 185 F - mixed it for about 20 minutes - I then used the little syringe to move it into capsules. I had way more mixture than I thought - but better to take two capsules than to take one and have to wait four hours to get back on the floor again!!
I haven't tried a good test yet buy just cleaning out the bottom of the measuring cup seemed to have good effect.
I need a much bigger syringe for next time - that little guy is too fiddly for my fumbly old meat hooks!!
I can hardly wait to try this with my own harvest!!! Coooome Ooooooonnnnnn!!!!!! This waiting is worse than Xmas morning!!!

Back
Top Bottom