Weed With No Taste?

mastergreenerey

Hi guys,

Just harvested my first grow in coco flushed for a week then wet trimmed then hang dry for 7 days had them in paper bags for a day and brings me to today. This is the 1st time i have tried any of it and it seems not to have much taste at all. They smelled amazing while growing and drying conditions were around 50% rh and 18 degrees. The stems just started to snap on day 7.
Smell is not as strong either and there seems to still be a 'Green' smell to them. When i squeeze a bud i can get the smells but no flavour??
Do i need to dry longer maybe?
Heres a few pics of buds
16111878666341669431082162692115.jpg
1611187828548897438222473793297.jpg

After dry there's the "CURE" - thats when the flavors and smells "mature".

As long as you don;t over dry it the smells and flavor will return.

Instead of paper bags put them in mason jars with lids and close them up and burp them for say an hour every day, just take the lid off for an hour. Close it back up. You will right away begin to get some smells and it will change over time as the cure continues.

I had plants that had nothing after harvest and after curing they smelled like they did in flower.

Just dont over dry. Thats the worst thing you can do.

After dry there's the "CURE" - thats when the flavors and smells "mature".

As long as you don;t over dry it the smells and flavor will return.

Instead of paper bags put them in mason jars with lids and close them up and burp them for say an hour every day, just take the lid off for an hour. Close it back up. You will right away begin to get some smells and it will change over time as the cure continues.

I had plants that had nothing after harvest and after curing they smelled like they did in flower.

Just dont over dry. Thats the worst thing you can do.
Yeah i hav all the jars ill put them in as soon as. I hope i do get the smell and flavour back.. i have wedding cake and animal cookies they look amazing but when i smoked them they tasted similar so i thought mayb they still had too much chlorophyl so left them out to air

Get some of the little stick hydrometers that you can stick in the jars, then you know exactly what RH% they are at. As if you get it too dry it seems to shut down the cure, and that way you also know if it too wet to be in jars with those stick hydrometer.

I think 54% me be a bit on the low side in the jars. RH of 62% seems to be the ideal according to experienced growers, and that's where the RH stabilizer packs are at (Boveda, Integra). I'm struggling with that myself as every time I burp a jar, it fills with dry winter air. Ideally it would be burped in 62% ambient RH...

I've been able to rehydrate and save my weed some times when it was on the dry side (putting the jars in the fridge and burping often for a few days). Don't know if I got the full monty of terpenes, but it got the cure started and ending up with nice smelling and tasting buds.

My experience having a drying environment on the dry side means you have to be on the ball as the buds go from just fine to overly dry very quickly. I'm drying for ca. 5 days with passive humidifiers in the drying box to get the RH up to or just above 50%, although it all too easily swings above and below that.

The buds look nice anyway - I'm sure they are "functioning" well :)

So will my weed taste get any better if i cant get rh to stabilise at 62?
Yes if its not all dried out yet.

Inside the flowers are moist the outside is dry. Put in a sealed container the moisture will evenly distribute. Wetter goes to drier and until equilibrium happens.... this is all part of the CURE not the drying process.

You dont want to wait until your plant material is dry and crispy specially the stems to jar it up.

Letting it get too dry is a huge no no. You can always dry more, you cannot add moisture.

Yup, put in jars. If you are paranoid, take one bud and grind it. Unless they are over the top dried out, you'll get a smell.

Letting it get too dry is a huge no no.
Agreed!
You can always dry more, you cannot add moisture.
Are you sure? From my experience it is possible to rehydrate dry buds. I suppose it can't be too far gone to still get a good cure though. I haven't used scientific method, but my current Amnesia as well as a couple of other harvests were overly dry and appears to come "back to life" after a few days of careful rehydration. I just did a search to do a reality check for myself and found numerous articles about rehydrating dry buds.

Throw a slice of white bread in the jar with the weed if its uber dry.... Sounds silly, but it works.

Agreed!

Are you sure? From my experience it is possible to rehydrate dry buds. I suppose it can't be too far gone to still get a good cure though. I haven't used scientific method, but my current Amnesia as well as a couple of other harvests were overly dry and appears to come "back to life" after a few days of careful rehydration. I just did a search to do a reality check for myself and found numerous articles about rehydrating dry buds.

When over dried it gets a hay smell and flavor. I don't think there's a way to fix that.

I'm of the understanding that curing needs moisture if the buds dry like hay, its too late for curing.

Time to make concentrates with that so not all lost I suppose.

BTW - @mastergreenerey congrats on your haul. Well done.

I think all you need is some jars and a little time. Get some Boveda for your long haul storage and let it sit in jars for a few weeks and your smells and flavor will return slowly.

2 week cure will taste smell different that 4 week cure.

It's always refreshing to have good tasting freshies but its not always the case and lots of times the freshies taste completely different than the same cured weed does.

I'mma grower so I prefer fresh and its always my go to when I have it around.

I know the weed gonna be good if the freshies are smooth tasting... and not harsh.

Back
Top Bottom