Week 7 day 4 photos: Days to go or weeks before harvest?

boxgrow

Hey mates, here are some clearer pics from today!

Gonna wait until the buds look ripe to the eye, just wanted to know if I should be ready to cut it in a few days? Should I take the top half first or the entire plant? It's a one stem flower.

Is it true that if harvested early, buds will produce clear and happy sensation. But If harvested late, the sleepy sort. I'd rather avoid the sleepy one and would prefer to catch the sweetest harvest moment!

This plant:
Bagseed lemon og clone
Week 7 day 4 since 12/12
Organic 1ml Cal & 2ml Bloom & 1L tap water
Fed 2-3 times daily, never pHed
100W total warm + cool led, 12am - 12pm dark
Compact mylar lined growbox, 24/7 exhaust fan
Day 29-28c 55rh, Night 26-27c 50rh (ac on 24/7)

1660972003819.png

1660972053587.png

1660972182504.png

1660972278762.png

Looking at the pistils, she is still blowing out new ones that are nice, pale and stiff, and no sign of foxtailing, I would say you have another week or so, but without experience with that strain and a closeup of the trichomes, that’s the best guess from me :)

Strains I have grown multiple times, I can tell by the look of the plant when she’s ready, otherwise, I use a loupe to judge the trichomes.

Some growers will wait for percentage of amber trichomes to harvest with the theory that the more amber, the more sedative the stone. When using a loupe, I watch for mostly cloudy trichomes and gave up on searching for amber, either my eyes can see the amber, or the strains I grow don’t get very much amber.

Looking at the pistils, she is still blowing out new ones that are nice, pale and stiff, and no sign of foxtailing, I would say you have another week or so, but without experience with that strain and a closeup of the trichomes, that’s the best guess from me :)

Strains I have grown multiple times, I can tell by the look of the plant when she’s ready, otherwise, I use a loupe to judge the trichomes.

Some growers will wait for percentage of amber trichomes to harvest with the theory that the more amber, the more sedative the stone. When using a loupe, I watch for mostly cloudy trichomes and gave up on searching for amber, either my eyes can see the amber, or the strains I grow don’t get very much amber.

Hey Celt! Thanks, it does look like it's got 1 more week before the pistils stop and mostly curl in.

Would you say no one should harvest their buds if they see pistils? I have noticed some Amber tricomes here and there, kinda like caramelised / sugary caramel, would I be right to say so?

Now if there are like 30 percent Amber tricomes, but there are 15 percent newish pistils, do I wait or consider chopping?

Thanks mate!

Thats the amber people look for, personally I watch mostly to how “swelled“ the heads are and watch for heads that have ruptured (stalk with no head) and if I see many of those, I chop.

If you are seeing a lot of amber, and don’t want a sleepy stone, I would chop soon.

If it were mine, I’d feed, set it in the dark for 72 hours, then chop.
I have a link in my sig if you need more info on harvest timing.

I agree with everyone, you are close for sure. It's hard to say without seeing the trichomes. Pistils are only an indication of being close. You should always go by the trichomes. Especially if you haven't grown the strain before. It's really a combination of time, how the buds look(pistils and calyx swell), and the trichomes maturity. You can harvest the buds in stages from top to bottom. The tops tend to mature first because they get the most light. You can cut some of the bud off the top and the stuff below will continue to mature once it gets more light. When looking at the trichomes make sure you are looking at the buds and not the sugar leaves. Those trichomes usually turn before the ones on the buds

Thats the amber people look for, personally I watch mostly to how “swelled“ the heads are and watch for heads that have ruptured (stalk with no head) and if I see many of those, I chop.

If you are seeing a lot of amber, and don’t want a sleepy stone, I would chop soon.

I think I'm beginning to get what you mean, ruptures like partially eaten corn cob? Will keep an eye out for those! Thanks again

I agree with everyone, you are close for sure. It's hard to say without seeing the trichomes. Pistils are only an indication of being close. You should always go by the trichomes. Especially if you haven't grown the strain before. It's really a combination of time, how the buds look(pistils and calyx swell), and the trichomes maturity. You can harvest the buds in stages from top to bottom. The tops tend to mature first because they get the most light. You can cut some of the bud off the top and the stuff below will continue to mature once it gets more light. When looking at the trichomes make sure you are looking at the buds and not the sugar leaves. Those trichomes usually turn before the ones on the buds

Thanks Derek, learnt something new when you mentioned trichomes on the buds instead of the leaves. I've only been looking wrong all this time. Will study the buds deeper now! Calyx swell as well, good insight.

Great, Ill chop the top half then then the rest within a 1 week gap, that'll teach me something thanks!!

If it were mine, I’d feed, set it in the dark for 72 hours, then chop.
I have a link in my sig if you need more info on harvest timing.

Wow just look at the fur on that! So thick, clean and well groomed!! Hold up and bud wash are totally new to me

B6764802-01D5-47E2-8CB2-723B428FDB19.jpeg

Thanks to your recommendation Adaminco! I'm so gonna try this!

Holy cow 72hrs!

Am I right to say:

1:
72 hrs because I still have a couple days to go and so this will coincide with the 36hr minimum hold up?

2:
So if you were me right now, with the plant in its current state, you would start the 72hr right away? Even with pistils sticking out although minimal?

3:
Does that mean I don't get to chop half the plant? I don't mind if so, it's got to be potted to work right?

4:
Do I move the plant into a covered box with the same conditions, airflow wise or just a simple covered box without fan will do too?

5:
72hrs pitch black without food and water or human contact? So I should just lock it in there for 72hrs fully isolated before harvest?

6:
bud wash! Seem so wrong just thinking about this tbh! I'd think the tricomes would all get washed off from all that dunking and hot water! Gonne read more and willttry to dunk for sure!

Sorry for the list of questions, I'd understand if you can't answer them all! thanks AdaminCO!

Here ya go....

Am I right to say:

1:72 hrs because I still have a couple days to go and so this will coincide with the 36hr minimum hold up?

***It depends on where you want your high to be. Check my Harvest thread in my sig. I put mine in 48 hours ago and these are what my trics looked liked beforehand. I like more of a couchlock so I let mine go a bit more amber than most. If you like max THC, racy highs, pull it when they all become cloudy.
69BEF3D8-73A4-4C9B-AD7E-5D20A9831544.jpeg

2: So if you were me right now, with the plant in its current state, you would start the 72hr right away? Even with pistils sticking out although minimal?

***Id need to see closer pics, depends on the high, and I use the pistils to tell me when to start looking at the trics. When they stop producing a lot of new ones, I figure I need to start check within the week.

3: Does that mean I don't get to chop half the plant? I don't mind if so, it's got to be potted to work right?

***I’ve never chopped half a plant, so I’m not sure about that, and I’m not sure how else it would be.

4. So I move the plant into a covered box with the same conditions, airflow wise or just a simple covered box without fan will do too?

***Mines just sitting outside my tent, in a bit colder environment, with a slight breeze oscillating.

5: 72hrs pitch black without food and water or human contact? So I should just lock it in there for 72hrs fully isolated before harvest?

***I still feed regular, I’m not super worried if it’s not pitch black. I don’t turn lights on, or leave my tent door open for extended periods of time.

6: bud wash! Seem so wrong just thinking about this tbh! I'd think the tricomes would all get washed off from all that dunking and hot water! Gonne read more and will try to dunk for sure!

***Youll never harvest without doing it again. Lol! Trics aren’t water soluble.. more like an oil based paint. Have you ever tried washing the sticky off your fingers? Soap doesn’t even do a good job getting it all off. You destroy more trics in your grinder and in their jars, just don’t bang them around the sides, or on the bottom of the buckets.

24396C81-4D36-4198-A408-70038A1C8323.jpeg

Then just let them hang, covered, without any light, and a slight breeze oscillating.
I cover mine with a black trash bag cut lengthwise, tented up in the middle.
7A7B54B4-0968-47E7-B7BB-B24DC7D321B9.jpeg

Sorry for the list of questions, I'd understand if you can't answer them all! thanks AdaminCO!

***That’s why we’re here man. BTW, you can call me Adam. Lol!

[/QUOTE]

Here’s how I Bud wash...

thanks a bunch Adam! Thought I knew enough to get me through harvest, but there's just more to know, nice!

Gonna digest your answers one by one! and set up shop for the 72hr i am really looking forward to try an early harvest, then a late-ish harvest on my other plant just 4 days younger.

I much prefer the sharp high since I never felt those before, couch lock ones are common so I rather somewhere the middle.
Thanks Adam!

Might check out some curing threads too.
Poke around this post. There are a couple more links you might find helpful in it.

Back
Top Bottom