Week 8 First Grow - Questions & Concerns

Zafu

Greetings all,

Long time reader & fan of this site; first time posting. Have to say what an incredible resource these forums are and by far the best on-line community for Marijuana I've found. :thanks:

My son and I both have medical marijuana cards for health reasons in the state of California. I'm sick and tired of paying insane prices and most of all, not being certain the product is clean and grown with the standards I would prefer. Therefore, I felt no real choice but to try and grow this myself.

Began my first grow 8 weeks ago. Seeds planted April 28, 2016 and transplanted outside to 30 gallon smart pots on May 5, 2016.

Overview:

Strains - Acapulco Gold (Sativa), Laughing Buddha (Sativa) & Vanilla Kush (Indica dominant)
# of Plants - 11
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Bucket Size - 30 Gallon
Nutrients - Fox Farm (Big Bloom & Grow Big)
Medium - Stock Foxfarm Ocean Forest
PPM - unknown
PH - unknown
Pests - Uncertain

Problem: My leaves have signs of bug activity. Pictures below requesting feedback.

History:

About a week ago I noticed small black ants on some of my plants. When watering, noticed many on one in-particular. Given the various suspicious dots/marks on leaves decided to pick up 1,500 lady bugs which I placed in my garden late at night. Several days later, no signs of ants. :thumb: Just to clarify; not saying the ladybugs ate the ants; I know they don't; but they likely ate whatever the ants were after.

This morning I wanted to show you the most recent things concerning me and hopefully obtain some feedback. I am trying not to be too neurotic about this growing process but trying to be careful and do all I can to ensure a successful result.

If any of you can comment on what you see here and make suggestions I'd be very appreciative.

Thinking these holes from the inside may be due to aphids, which would explain the ants, though I've never spotted an aphid. As I said, the lady bugs must of gotten rid of them/something, since the ants appear gone, but the bite from the outside in confuses me.

IMG_133234.JPG

Assuming this may be an iron deficiency? Doesn't look like mold but not sure I would know the difference. I'm using Foxfarm nutes. If this is a deficiency, what should I use to correct it, assuming a correction is needed.
IMG_133432.JPG

No idea what these spots are. ?? Could it be mold and if so, what do I do?
IMG_133533.JPG

These look like fruit fly wings to me. Odd. ??
IMG_133732.JPG

This spot?
IMG_133827.JPG

Here's a few pictures of my garden. I realize they are too close together and will pull apart a bit. Did that in anticipation of having to cover from rain in October, but actually not sure I do. I've heard after a rain I can just shake water off. ?
IMG_132837.JPG
IMG_134133.JPG

Thank you !!

Zafu

re: Week 8 First Grow - Questions & Concerns

Doesnt look like any major problems. Ladybirds will keep many bugs at bay. As for the spots they dont look like mould, you'll easy spot mould as it ends up looking fuzzy and in buds it starts off as part of the bud looking grey in colour. Shaking rain off plants is good as if you get sunny weather after rain then the droplets magnify the sunlight and causes spots if burn on the leaves. More important to shake during budding if you can. If they are mould resistant then the problem may not occur especially if you had to go away for a few days.

You'll enjoy your grow. Once ready for harvest chuck all stems and fan leaves away and keep the trim and small popcorn buds for bubble hash, you'll be surprised how much gets thrown out while hash can be made from it. Keep your trim for 1 batch while using popcorn for another batch. As for whether you use fresh trim (frozen as soon as trimming done) or dry trim the general consensus is fresh trim. Seen as i get trim from a friend which is always dry i can make no comparison. Bubble i made years ago was always ok but not the best and made with fresh trim. Later this year i should have enough from my own grow to do a side by side run and draw my own conclusion. From what i have made over the past year dry works very well for me.

Here a link for the bubble thread on this site. Has my method and how i came about it. Bubble hash - Pics and questions

@Graytail - I'll check those references out for sure. Much appreciated and thank you for the welcome.

@Glasgrow - Thanks man. Hope you're right. Just went out to say hello to the ladies and think I found a spider mite. Only one I've seen so far. I'm thinking for $5, it's worth dumping 1,500 ladybugs on this garden weekly if necessary; or building a home for them. Speaking of which, think I found two ladybugs hiding out in the top of one of the plants. I'll show pics below....

Spider Mite ?
SpiderMite4.JPG

Lady bugs hiding out ?
Ladybugs_Hiding.JPG

Cheers -Zafu

Welcome Zafu. Great looking garden & back yard. Big bug holes are likely grasshoppers, katydids, or larger leaf hoppers. Try any spinosad product....organic & safe. That's a regular spider. Unfortunately spinosad will kill all bugs even the good ones. Mites are very small & hard to see, they mostly live on leaf underside. Prevalent on clones from most dispensaries. Ladybugs great but won't hang around our herb unless infested w/ bugs. Suggest some mycorrihizae & microbes....your already nice plants will explode.
:Namaste:

When growing outdoors, you expect some bug bites and whatnot. After all, it is mother nature and life on Earth ;)

Not all specimens can be perfect in nature, especially when a bug is trying to get his share of food, etc. You will find that growing outdoors this is a constant threat, some years is better than others. All you can do is inspect diligently and continually looking for signs. Holes in the leaves usually means two possible things ; 1) caterpillars (the major problem, besides mold, for many outdoor gardens) or 2) grasshoppers which can be annoying but not very destructive.

When you see the "bug scars" on the leaves, you'll know there are bugs. Often times these bugs are microscopic such as mites; like brightlight said, they hide on the underside of the leaf, and often we see the white scars on the top.

What has solved my bug problem almost entirely is a product called Azamax (you can google it), which I use as a foliar spray throughout. I spray throughout early-mid flower to prevent caterpillar infestations, and then I pray for dry weather in order to minimize internal bud rot potential, as well as powder mold.

Anyway, for you right now, things look just fine. Like I said, you always expect a few bug bites here and there as well as imperfect specimens. However, with diligence, you can keep things under control. Far as I'm concerned, these plants are in top notch shape and just need to be continually maintained throughout.

Hope this helps

:Namaste:

Thank you so much brightlight and Lester for taking the time and responding.

I feel so much better now and thrilled to be participating in this community opposed to just reading; which I've done for a year. I will certainly do what I can to support this site and the sponsors as well.

Namaste

Zafu

Holes were made by flies,, aphids or caterpillars it's almost imoossiblevto say if you don't see the insect. White balls are flowers dropped by the nearest trees it's normal in early summer, check what is flowering around. Make sure you don't overwater cause that can cause deficiency. Keep it green!

I think the ants farm aphids. I have been using Aza Max. A few drenches in the beginning. First time Ive used. Its worked great!! No bug problems. No need to Aza Max spray but might for fall caterpillars

Thanks all. Should of zoomed in but today saw this which looks like some type of small white catapiller. Anyway, will just keep an eye on things. I'm always wondering down enjoying how my ladies are growing. I'm such a proud daddy.

Critter71.JPG

Well as they on your doorstep and you dont need to worry about four legged or bigger critters then inspecting them daily isn't a bad thing. You can keep on top of things much more readily and quickly. Having organic bug sprays or even chemical ones in stock will give you a headstart should you need them. For some bugs just pick them off and kill the. Not sure how bad slugs/snails are in your area and if you do have them then get a defence in for them quick. They can destroy a crop quite quickly.

Well as they on your doorstep and you dont need to worry about four legged or bigger critters then inspecting them daily isn't a bad thing. You can keep on top of things much more readily and quickly. Having organic bug sprays or even chemical ones in stock will give you a headstart should you need them. For some bugs just pick them off and kill the. Not sure how bad slugs/snails are in your area and if you do have them then get a defence in for them quick. They can destroy a crop quite quickly.

Snails here only damage sprouts.Its fall caterpillars that suck. They come the last month of flower and they can destroy a plant quick. Eat half the plant in a week. Its Aza Max to the rescue this year!!

I love my ladybugs, so my q is if we do spray azamax or neem oil, are they gonna be disturbed by that as well just like the other insects pest we dont want to have around?

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I love my ladybugs, so my q is if we do spray azamax or neem oil, are they gonna be disturbed by that as well just like the other insects pest we dont want to have around?

Sent from my E5803 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The ladybugs won't like it, it's possible azamax can kill the ladybugs because they are apart of the order Coleoptera (which are some of the target pests). Ladybugs don't eat the actual plant matter (which is the mode of action for the azamax) so it probably won't kill them outright like it does for other pests, but ladybugs need water and often times will lap up liquid that is on the surface of the plant (usually morning dew ,etc.). So I wouldn't be surprised if azamax lowered the ladybug population. I've tried praying mantis and ladybugs while they work great, azamax is far more effective. If I had to choose one or the other I'd choose the Azamax.

They also probably wouldn't like the taste of neem oil. So I would think it would disturb them. :goodluck: with the 'pillars this year :Namaste:

Azamax and neem definitely do not play well with ladybugs. Use one or the other. I try to be conservative with them 'cuz they aren't good for bees either. They are great products for the outdoor grower, however.

Looking good! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom