Weenmeoff's Inside Soil Alien Abduction Grow Journal

Hi All,

Strain is Alien Abduction - Indica - 3 plants
In Veg stage for about 3-4 weeks (since started the seeds which were from a bag not purchased/feminized.)
Doing indoor, soil, organic potting soil mixture, started in paper towel then in plastic cups and just transplanted into 5 gallon buckets today
running 1 - 600w MH light (not currently air cooled but temp in tent is OK) at 75% about 12" above plant 18/6 cycle off from about 12:30 am to 6:30am
4X4 Gorilla lite grow tent
Humidifier added today and it's slowly rising and at about 35%

I have a few questions and need help getting up and running. First, I just got the tent yesterday and set it up in my garage, last night the temp got down to 45 and the plants are a little limp. Will they be OK? Can I change to 24 hours of light without harming them?

I have not yet purchased a carbon filter as I didn't think I needed it yet but am not exactly sure how to set up the ventilation. I bought a basic home depot inline 6" fan and 25' of flexible ducting. I also do not have a speed controller yet. These are on my list of things to buy. Can i run the set up without ducting for a few days and have a couple of the ports opened and/or the ventilation flap?

Should the inline fan push or pull and be inside or outside of the tent?

Should I have 1 or 2 fans? One to cool the lights and one to ventilate the tent? With the 4X4 tent, do I need an inlet filter or should I use the flaps at the bottom? (those will let light in and out)

Those are my questions for now. I will post pictures shortly but there really isn't much to show yet.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Weenmeoff's - Inside - Soil - Alien Abduction - 1st Grow Journal

I went to 24 hours to keep the overnight temp up and they are drooping a little more today.

Is it OK that I went to 24 hours of light? Do you think they will rebound?

Pics were removed because I skipped a step, Try # 2:

babies_51.JPG

babies_41.JPG

babies_31.JPG

babies_21.JPG

Can we only edit our last post? I wanted to change the title to include that this is my 1st grow attempt.

Any help is appreciated! I am leaving my lights on 24/7 because my space gets cold at night, it's been 1 day since they were shocked and they seem to be getting worse. Should I cut the light back to 18/6 or 20/4 so dark time is during the day? Thanks!

It's been 5 days since the cold shock and 2 are still droopy and yellowish, the funny thing is the 3rd one was the smallest and thought it wasn't going to make it but now has the greenest color and is not droopy. I am noticing very minor new growth happening so am hopeful that they will make a comeback. Lights are on 24/7 and temps range from 70-85.

I got the flexible ducts hooked to the light with the intake going out of the tent at the lowest point and the exhaust at close to the highest with a home depo inline can fan sucking the air through. Once I did this, the humidity has risen to a respectable level between 35-50 but I am not sure how I feel about 50% as it's very wet inside the tent, couldn't that be a fire hazard with all the electrical components in there? (light, humidifier and power strip)

Adding the ducts doesn't bring any fresh air into the tent since it's a closed system. Should I add another fan for ventilation and if so, any tips on how to do that?

Sorry so many questions, I'm a newb hoping to be as successful as many of you.

Thanks for any help!

So they seem to be bouncing back, only one is a little droopy. Questions that I still have; should I change the light cycle from 24/7 and should I add a 2nd inline fan for ventilation because the light fan is a closed system and not bringing in fresh air. I've been opening the vents during the day. Also, suggestions as to where to get seeds? Crop kings looked pretty good but there was one pretty bad review about genetics.

Pic update, they've not grown much but there is some new growth.

image36889.jpg

image36888.jpg

I went to 24 hours to keep the overnight temp up and they are drooping a little more today.

Is it OK that I went to 24 hours of light? Do you think they will rebound?

Pics were removed because I skipped a step, Try # 2:

babies_51.JPG

babies_41.JPG

babies_31.JPG

babies_21.JPG

Can we only edit our last post? I wanted to change the title to include that this is my 1st grow attempt.
Nismo said to report one of your posts, and in the comment section say you want to change the name of your post, and it'll get the moderator to contact you.

Good growing to you.

I usually like a seat in the back where I can be quiet, but you do't have a back row yet. - so I might have to say some things :)

45 degrees over night - what type of area is your tent in? Basement? Garage? Outdoor shed?

My basement rarely gets below 55 - even when 20 outside.

Also, is your tent sitting on a cold concrete slab? If you get a layer of insulation between the soil and the cold floor, it will help - even a piece of plywood or a rug under the tent will help.

- - -

Someone with more experience may come along, but 12" below a 600W MH seems too close. For girls under 8" tall, I run a 600W HPS at 24-30" and prefer CFL tubes at 6-8". I suggest you move the light up higher and see how they respond.

Nismo said to report one of your posts, and in the comment section say you want to change the name of your post, and it'll get the moderator to contact you.

To report a post - click the little triangle with a ! on the bottom left of a post --- where you see "Blog this Post", six pointed star, triangle !

then input a message like "Please change my thread name to ....."

Thank you both for the advise! I am scared about a space heater because my tent is in my garage with a classic car, a 1969 Dodge Charger and I would hate to lose her due to fire. I was thinking about a heating mat like the ones you put under a space rug or to heat towels and will probably go forward. I did read the MJ does not need darkness like other plants but as long as it doesn't hurt, I'm gonna change to 18/6 ASAP. I will also raise my lights. The floor is concrete but I did put a piece of 1 inch ridged insulation under the tent the other day, the cold day was an early April night the got below freezing. I'll raise the lights, go to 18/6 and get some heat in there. Thanks again you guys!

Hmmm... sharing a garage with a 69 Dodge Charger... Are we talking 'Dukes of Hazard', 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry', or 'Fast and Furious' Dodge Charger?

The electric 'oil' space heaters don't get hot enough to feel more than warm to the touch. I fear the electric bill more than fire danger. How long until outdoor melon planting time in your area? You might be almost done with the low night time temps.

Are you still running the humidifier shown in the photos? If your humidity is over 30%, IMO you don't need to add humidity.

Fast and furious was a 70 and the other 2 were 69's. No TV or movie theme with mine.

It's about 2 weeks to outdoor melon planting time so overnight temps will be increasing. Should I just have the dark period be during the warmest part of the day?

I had the humidity/temp gauge lying flat about a foot below the light and it was reading low sp when I ran the humidifier it got really wet in there which was concerning it itself. The humidifier has been off for a couple days, I lifted the lights to about 2 feet today and clipped the gauge on the side of the bucket so it was standing up straight and humidity is reading around 50%.

Should I add an inline fan for ventilation? The fan I have is sucking air through the light, pulling from outside tent so is a closed system.

Fast and furious was a 70 and the other 2 were 69's. No TV or movie theme with mine.

It's about 2 weeks to outdoor melon planting time so overnight temps will be increasing. Should I just have the dark period be during the warmest part of the day?

I would make their night time during the warmth of the day - it's the easiest and least expensive solution.

Does it work for you NOT to enter the tent during the dark period? It's no big deal if there is extra light sometmes while they are in veg. As I'm sure you know, you don't want any light disturbing their slumber once they are in flower.

I had the humidity/temp gauge lying flat about a foot below the light and it was reading low sp when I ran the humidifier it got really wet in there which was concerning it itself. The humidifier has been off for a couple days, I lifted the lights to about 2 feet today and clipped the gauge on the side of the bucket so it was standing up straight and humidity is reading around 50%.

Should I add an inline fan for ventilation? The fan I have is sucking air through the light, pulling from outside tent so is a closed system.

I suck air from out of my flowering room through the light hood, cooling the room and the light bulb. I have a thermostat turn the fan on and off based on the room temperature - I don't like the fan to suck in cool air below 75-80 degrees.

As far as I know, the bulb temperature does not matter, as long as the glass doesn't melt (750F) or the solder (probably also a lot.) HID bulbs will function at some very high temperatures. You may want to check with your specific bulb manufacturer, but I believe you should think in terms of cooling the room to the correct temperature and ignore cooling the lamp. - Don't get me wrong, you might as well draw the air past the HID bulb.

The biggest downside to venting your tent air outside the tent is you are venting your tent smells outside the tent. If you can cool the tent without venting, as you are today, you are containing more of the cannabis smells.

I would make their night time during the warmth of the day - it's the easiest and least expensive solution.

Does it work for you NOT to enter the tent during the dark period? It's no big deal if there is extra light sometmes while they are in veg. As I'm sure you know, you don't want any light disturbing their slumber once they are in flower.

Done, will start today, noon to 6.

I suck air from out of my flowering room through the light hood, cooling the room and the light bulb. I have a thermostat turn the fan on and off based on the room temperature - I don't like the fan to suck in cool air below 75-80 degrees.

As far as I know, the bulb temperature does not matter, as long as the glass doesn't melt (750F) or the solder (probably also a lot.) HID bulbs will function at some very high temperatures. You may want to check with your specific bulb manufacturer, but I believe you should think in terms of cooling the room to the correct temperature and ignore cooling the lamp. - Don't get me wrong, you might as well draw the air past the HID bulb.

The biggest downside to venting your tent air outside the tent is you are venting your tent smells outside the tent. If you can cool the tent without venting, as you are today, you are containing more of the cannabis smells.

I was wondering if I should vent in some fresh air for the plants to breath. My current set up does not do that, it draws air from outside, goes through the fan and out the top of the tent. Should I instead get a inlet filter and a carbon scrubber so the air draws from outside and directly into the tent, then through the scrubber, then through the light and out?

I have a fan from Home Depot, 160 CFM, and a fan speed regulator but that thing really does nothing the fan pretty much runs at full speed all the time so am thinking of returning that and getting a thermostat to run the fan off of. Sound good or should I keep the speed regulator and get the thermostat?

Thanks again Radogast!

The way our set up in the tent is:
Exhaust: Carbon filter, flex duct, light, flex hose to outside of the tent, then exhaust fan, flexible duct through the ceiling to the attic.
Intake: " flex duct in the bedroom open ended with the inline fan on the tent end of it just inside the tent to bring in fresh air. If you would like I can snap a few pics for you to visualize how we have it.

I would really appreciate that canna! I think I get it but a couple pics would be great. Do you have your fans on a thermostat or timer or do they run 24/7?

Thanks again Canna!
The exhaust from the tent to the attic.

e28c2b40820687f0fcc396b5eb06d099.jpg

The light set up with carbon filter

f04ce9cb5db824ed540613690f280f84.jpg

Intake fan

17f58fde2b0674019131bb94f48ee8a4.jpg

Intake flex duct

451a29b357979c0e49ddd646969b7b89.jpg

I hope these help. If.you have any questions feel free to ask.

Back
Top Bottom