Weird mutation

cocobolo1234

hi everyone im new to the site and was hoping to get some information regarding a weird mutation that i have come across.

My friend brought me a seedling the other day knowing that i have had a fair amount of experience in rearing plants of all kinds and this one has me askinf questions.

This is just a bagseed from my understanding and is only on to its first set of leaves besides the seed leaves, but curiously there are three seed leaves and the next set also contains three leaves. I know i have run across some article talking about this mutation but i cannot find it again. I originally thought this had something to do with being a polyploid but i do not know mush in the ways of genetics so i was wondering if someone could clear this up.

I would imagine that as the plant matures there will be three branches at each node instead of two as the branches alternate towards the top. Im not so much of a noob as to thing that its the leaflets that have three points but rather that there are three sets of leaves. This is the first set of emerging leaves that will be a single leaflet eventually increasing in leaflets or "points" as the new leaves begin to emerge.

Has anyone come across this before and if so is there anything that you may be able to tell me about the causes of this mutation?

thanks again

so instead of 2 leaves at every node you get 3 leaves? sounds interesting. i cant say how rare it is because im only on my first grow but you may want to keep it and clone it a few times to keep the strain alive, then procede to flower, and tell me how the smoke is!! if it grows faster, beter, more buds and such do everything u can to keep the strain alive!!

Hey...I'm not joking around or trying to waste anyone's time here this thing really has three leaves. The pohots shos as best i can the three seed leaves (the side view pic) and the now two sets of leaves that have emerged, and as you can plainly see there are three per set.

P1010434.JPG

P1010435.JPG

WOAHHH

looks mad cool in the picture!
take care of it man. bring ur light closer or upgrade the lights cuz it looks mad stretched. get wind blowin on it. treat it well. hopefully it wont grow a D**k on us. lol. clone etc. maybe u get 1.5 more light absorbed due to 3 leaflets rather than 2 lol.

wish ya the best. keep posting pics my man!

yeah i know the plant doesnt look great...my friend had it on the counter in her apartment which didnt recieve much light and was basically just dropping the ball on caring for it so i offered to take it in order to try and stabilize and get her growing. I need to trade out the soil and get some quality nutes in there. Thanks for the advice but im just repairing the damage due to stress that was already done (basically just trying to say that its not my fault that it looks like a pile of crap haha)

Btw i found some new information regarding this mutation, and it sees that after four or five nodes the plants revert back to normal characteristics and will continue as any other plant. I hope that this doesnt happen but we'll see.

maybe this should trick it to grow all fucked up~

if it reverts to regualr, clone the diseased part, and hope it grows messed up. after all, the only genetic material the cutting gets is the diseased part right? so the logic is it will grow only the mutant cells

and maybe another clone, super stress it, so i goes hermie, which will get you seeds same as mother. so u have another chance at birthing another freak!

this sounds like i would waste years to only find out it was a one time thing after running 2973432 tests.

Hi Liberty,

I can follow your logic on that but im pretty sure that if any part of the plant was cloned at any point it would contain the same genetic make up as the whole plant. The parts that have this mutation will still have the same genetic makeup as the ones that begin to express a normal growing habit (if that happens) meaning that as the clone continued to grow it would eventually revert back to normal (if that happens). Thanks for the ideas though

It's hard to explain why plants become trifoliates. Could be a defense mechanism or it could be a dormant gene that shows up periodically and regresses as the plant gets older. There are several arguements and suppositions about this process but just like in medicine...not all is known or completely understood. Could be there is more info out there about this now though.
Some people automatically think polyploidism when they see a trifoliate but that doesn't occure naturally in nature and I doubt anyone on here is playing around with colchicine which is the easiest way I know of to introduce poliploidism into the mix.

I would guess its a polyploidism is a defence mechinism, due to being stressed from poor lighting and an irrregular light schedual. but just a guess. I wouldnt invest much time in it as its only bagseed as well. But it never hurts to expirament. The more you grow, the more you know. Good luck.

sorry but your talking two differnt things. Polyploidism is when by accident a plant's cell gets more than one set of DNA/chromosomes and that causes it to be twice or three times the normal size. It is not uncommon actally,for example corn stalks are polyploid. But it doesn't happen easy. Either years of evolution or science messing with it. What we have here is what racefan established is a trifoliate. I'm not too familiar with these.

if you are lucky and this is the continuing growth type of variety
for this abberation it will grow with a spiral of nodes continously and no revert to a bilateral ladder pattern of nodes if it does do the spiral and goes indica dominant in growth patterns you will get seriously compact and dense bbushy plants

some ontario seed guy has a couple strains with niagara in names that wanted an outrageous amount of $$$$$$ for seed of a fancy mutant that had a similar description

Back
Top Bottom