Welcome To The Table Mountain Sativa Spectacular

Great landrace Thread! Thanks for all the info and the pix as well*

I'm a sativa person and have looked at various African strain trying to figure out what I can use. Thought maybe Africa Free? My apartment is small and I couldn't grow large plants right now...nor anything high odor.

Are the landrace african (especially Durban large plants? And what is the odor like? Do they have that licorice thing going? A soaring high or what?

Have you ever grown Africa Free? Have gifted Golden Tiger and Zamal ones. but think they will be impractical for my current situation...though I would like to*

Great landrace Thread! Thanks for all the info and the pix as well*

I'm a sativa person and have looked at various African strain trying to figure out what I can use. Thought maybe Africa Free? My apartment is small and I couldn't grow large plants right now...nor anything high odor.

Are the landrace african (especially Durban large plants? And what is the odor like? Do they have that licorice thing going? A soaring high or what?

Have you ever grown Africa Free? Have gifted Golden Tiger and Zamal ones. but think they will be impractical for my current situation...though I would like to*
Thanks man.
As a rule African sativas if grown in the ground are large to massive in size. That's if they get abundant direct sun, plentiful water . Some are low odor. I veg in a really small box and it does allow me to work, bend train etc over a few months of veg . I wouldn't recommend growing them indoors if you are not on an experienced level or Don't have the time and energy to dedicate to a decent grow. Outdoors yes because they are tough plants . They have adapted for centuries and continue too. If you have space I say throw them beans.
The highs are usually euphoric, up, trippy, cerebral with an occasional gentle body buzz. Makes you happy. It's really good shit. If you are a fan of sativa then yes try some.

Durban
The licorice (pheno/ chemo? ) is one of the terp profiles. Personally it's not the best one. It should have a kind of underlying poison smell that gets more and more pronounced as the buds cure. Crystal clear, focused, energizing and boosting creative thinking. A few people Have mentioned music. It sounds incredible. The ones I grow are mostly potent so a small paper is enough for about 3 people to share and head out for a surf , fishing hiking ..... shit anything you love doing just do it outdoors in nature. You will appreciate that. Sticky's high lasts about 4 hours and no noticeable come down.

Hope that helps.
Cheers

:nomo: great read. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Helped me out lots. Thank you
Cheers and welcome to the Spectacle. Any questions fire away. That's why I started the journal to share what I have found and experienced and learn what others Have. Joining those dots helps considerably with taking it up a level and being able to adapt.

Thanks for that info. So the Licorice isn't the best pheno...that's good to hear and your descriptions of the other phenos. Was thinking of starting an Africa Free and LST it inside a cardboard box and see if it will contain it.

Size was why I didn't try the Golden Tigers....maybe it wont be too bad with the Africa Free if LST heavily and put into flower as young a plant. After my Amnesia and Zkittlez and a single Gorilla Glue Auto...think an African will be next.

Appreciate all the info and will keep and eye on your grow thread and see what the finished product looks like.

Cheers*

Poison smell on DP? Never heard of that before either. And curious how did you Grand father store his seeds? It's pretty awesome that after almost 70 years they stil germinate? Heard guys trying to pop seeds from the 70s that were well stored not having any luck.
Hey man. There are phenos of DP that definitely have a chemical sickly poison smell. That's actually where the name comes from as far as I've researched. Some are citrus, some are pine. Different regions produce a variety of different terps.
My grandfather froze seeds mostly. He refreshed the different lines every 5 years by doing open pollination with each strain. I'll try to find his notes he left me with the dates and info on the open pollination. If i remember correctly each year he did a batch of one strain. So lets say seeds from the Kosi region of kzn were done one year, Malawi from specific region the next etc.
no I doubt seeds from that long ago would pop. By the time he passed away the oldest batch of seed was Botswana and Kenya which hadn't been refreshed for about 10 years. A lot of those don't germinate, some do.
I have been refreshing the lines the same way for over 20 years to keep them pure. Every year I dö a different region.
Hope that makes sense?

I started my Malawi under 11-13 lighting, I learned how to super crop running the Malawi. Lol

Thanks Pennywise. I can do LST pretty decently, but will have to research more for super cropping. Think it was Dr Ziggy who gave me info on sativa growing and told me about doing their sativas at 11-13 and that doing so cut off several weeks on grow time.

I'm a bit concerned about odor though and not read anything about that and as is I cannot have an odor control system. Just put in a container if someone comes unexpectedly and use balcony glass light that is south facing.

I also have some 43 watt twist bulbs for night, but currently only one bulb of that, but have 3 bulbs and plan to get the sockets. Recently I had a nice Pineapple Express and a Purple Paralysis...with a Red Russian strain going and since I've lived here a long time and how my apartment balcony faces...I could felt pretty safe and could set them out on the balcony with my big tomato containers. Worked great...just had to be careful moving them in and out for putting under 3 43 watt twist bulbs at night was all.

Then we had some terrific wind damage locally and lots of roofing repairs on the apartment complex. Had the plants on the balcony and heard roofing being done above my apartment and panic set in. They could see the plants I'm sure....so at first chance I pulled all the plants (but smoked them---lol) and disposed of the light rigging to the dumpster. Which is why I have to get more sockets. The PE was looking good and just starting to go into flower, but fear worked it's will. Nothing happened from being reported and I figured the guy didn't care, but they were pulled anyway.

Now I don't set on the balcony, but just in front of the glass.

Since you have grown Malawi...were you plants needing odor control. Sure you have that, but I cannot. I figure they did?

Thanks for the reply*

Poison smell on DP? Never heard of that before either. And curious how did you Grand father store his seeds? It's pretty awesome that after almost 70 years they stil germinate? Heard guys trying to pop seeds from the 70s that were well stored not having any luck.

Read that about Durban not having an odor problem and it was the reason I got the Dutch version...though I have to say there was a little odor up close. I figured it was from the indica that got introduced to the strain. So I was surprised about all the phenos the landrace seeds have as well. I knew about minty and licorice, but not about the others.

Nice thread for African strains....maybe someone has grown Africa Free and give me some info on it...which I was considering next?

Cheers to all*

Read that about Durban not having an odor problem and it was the reason I got the Dutch version...though I have to say there was a little odor up close. I figured it was from the indica that got introduced to the strain. So I was surprised about all the phenos the landrace seeds have as well. I knew about minty and licorice, but not about the others.

Nice thread for African strains....maybe someone has grown Africa Free and give me some info on it...which I was considering next?

Cheers to all*
Yes minty is one and earthy is almost always around somewhere in the smell.

Ok never heard of any chem like phenos in DP or any local landrace. Bit confused about it now, my understanding was that in the 70's some european guys took seed from there and called it durban poison. They worked it with a supposedly afghan a bit and that's what sold overseas as DP. The name also stuck locally, before that it was just seen as the local landrace. How did the chem like terpene profile enter locally? Would it be from outside genetics?

Curiously the kei plants you are growing out look very similar to the stuffs coming out of the kei now. Makes me wonder if the strains havent been that muddied by outside genetics.

Ok never heard of any chem like phenos in DP or any local landrace. Bit confused about it now, my understanding was that in the 70's some european guys took seed from there and called it durban poison. They worked it with a supposedly afghan a bit and that's what sold overseas as DP. The name also stuck locally, before that it was just seen as the local landrace. How did the chem like terpene profile enter locally? Would it be from outside genetics?

Curiously the kei plants you are growing out look very similar to the stuffs coming out of the kei now. Makes me wonder if the strains havent been that muddied by outside genetics.
Yeah not chem like sour diesel etc. It's a manky off smell and the closest I can describe it is like poison. Maybe a little like cough syrup ish.
Correct with the name but as far as I've researched that's why they chose that name. Who knows. I guess It would be more accurate for me to refer to the area the seeds were collected. So kosi, Midlands, isimangaliso, jozini etc would be more accurate.
You are correct in that the strain was taken over seas and worked although some say afgan others skunk.
Miss Sticky is the one that has the sickly poison smell ( for lack of better description) she is from the area next to moz. A lot of variation in terps mostly dependant on area and terrior. She is just the one I like most. The smell is only noticeable after a long cure. Wild lady is mostly minty,earthy and pine but she also gets a manky off scent after a long cure. Not the same as sticky though.
Hopefully I'll find a better example of the scent. @Carmen Ray describes It as spicy..
It's possible that some kei is still pretty clean. Unlikely but maybe not to badly dirtied?

It's been bothering me.
So growing up in SA you must have come across loquats. Those yellow delicious tasting fruits with the fuzzy skin.... so it smells like those when they are fermented or off. Bitter and manky.

Yeah, yeah I know that fermented / rotten fruit smell. I was thinking more along the lines of a chemical poison from your 1st description.
Went through my under sink cupboard smell all the poisons. Smells like this but sweeter .
It's oregano phosphate. I wouldn't know how else to describe it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191017_185254.jpg
    IMG_20191017_185254.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 16
Time for a sativa update.
First up the lc18 (sticky x wild) looking like 4 weeks to go...ish. I must say she has really impressed me with the strong growth. That is mostly sticky coming through. Just starting to get a minty pine vibe going.
IMG_20191017_171648.jpg
IMG_20191017_171618.jpg
IMG_20191017_122544.jpg
IMG_20191017_171121.jpg
IMG_20191017_171626.jpg

Then a pic of another lc18. She is really cruising now. tied her down to keep her wide and low. Quite a few of the ladies flowered, some revegged already some are still revegging and some are not stopping.Will get to that in a bit.
IMG_20191017_171031.jpg
IMG_20191017_171004.jpg
IMG_20191017_171023.jpg

And then some more lc18 testers and some of the wild lady x wild male to test too.
More to come...
IMG_20191017_171214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom