Well water TDS

JollyRodger

I bought this for my future RDWC setup
IMG_1370.PNG

I'm reading 0 ppm on both 500 and 700 scales and 0 ec out of my well water. I thought there had to be something wrong with the meter so I ordered a calibration kit. The meter reads 2.8 in the 2.77 ec solution. It reads slightly high in the ppm scales, but within spec. Can this be right? Do I have well water with no dissolved solids?

I bought this for my future RDWC setup
IMG_1370.PNG

I'm reading 0 ppm on both 500 and 700 scales and 0 ec out of my well water. I thought there had to be something wrong with the meter so I ordered a calibration kit. The meter reads 2.8 in the 2.77 ec solution. It reads slightly high in the ppm scales, but within spec. Can this be right? Do I have well water with no dissolved solids?

is your well water being run through a RO filter before entering your house or before exiting the faucet lol?

I know I can test a zero but either I have the best well water known to man, or my meter isn't reading at low tds. So testing a known zero doesn't really help. I need to test something low and known.

I know I can test a zero but either I have the best well water known to man, or my meter isn't reading at low tds. So testing a known zero doesn't really help. I need to test something low and known.

Does your water leave a deposit if you boil a pot dry? Certain chemical compounds can mess up EC. I've worked in 2 water analysis labs, and neither used meters for TDS.

She came home with Aquafina RO water. Not helpful. So I went and got pond water. Still reads zero. I'm going to return the meter for another one. But what's interesting is if I put even the smallest amount of salt in the water, like 20 grains, it'll read. I got it to read as low as 70 ppm on the 700 scale. 0.1

examples-

my soft well water at a different residence where my outdoor plants are is 70 ppm

my tap water at home is at 120 ppm

buy a gallon of reverse osmosis water at walmart for a dollar and test that water, it should be less than 5 ppm

Testing something that should be about zero won't help. I'm just reading zero for low ppm water

In the interest of not leaving this thread hanging, I've resolved the issue... or lack thereof.

I purchased a cheap TDS pen to check against my blue lab. The pen reads 33ppm for my well water. That's awesome!
I added some salt to my water and got a reading of 220 ppm, stuck the blue lab in it, and also read nearly the same. It was reading 202 ppm.

So apparently the blue lab works, just not at low ppm. It is however within its limits of accuracy. This is ok with me. I'll always be well within it's working range when checking my hydro solution.

Back
Top Bottom