WestBlunts Outdoor Blue Dream From Seed 2012 Grow

Hope you don't mind, WestBlunts, but thought I would show you my Blue Dream so you don't have to wade through pages of all the different things I have going on.

The biggest one is currently in a 1 gallon smart pot with pro-mix bx. She is really starting to drink fast, so I will be potting up to a 3 gallon this week. When I got her she had already been topped once. So I had two strong main stems and a third lower branch. I topped the two tall stems down to below the 3rd lower branch, then topped the lower one as well. All three cuts came out at almost the same level. Now she's filling out and has at least 6 tops that will for sure be cola producers.

Below is when I got her. She was really lanky and stretched. Looks like she had been searching for light for several weeks.

Below, the same one only a few days ago. Yeah she's the same height, but I cut that biatches head(s) off and the new growth is WAY tighter on node spacing. She is now going to flower, outdoors.

Below are the three cuttings that are doing very well. They are in my own 1/2 gallon Smart(er) Pots made out of Wal-Mart reusable shopping bags. The media is Coco.

You're not going to hurt her (well, unless you top her below the bottom most node!). I will be happy to walk you through topping, LSTing or Supercropping. I use a blend of all three methods. She's ripe for topping right now. In fact if you wanted to clone her, now is a great time too. Let me know, I'll work with ya.

Your all welcome to browse my journal, make comments or ask questions! I'm not uptight about 'thread jacking' so even if you want to post a pic to show or ask about, it's all good!

:peace:

Always happy & most welcome to have another 420 member helping me on my grow :thumb:

So Heirloom I researched the tie down method before and I did a little more research lastnight, and I have a couple questions with that method. When doing that I understand it turns the plant into somewhat of a bush, but does the bush end up having the main cola still or is the main cola sacrificed for the branches to turn into main colas? Like I would like to do this but only to thicken up my bushing and to eventually stop tie-ing down to let my main cola pop back up? I guess you could say I would only do it to promote bushing, not do the full method where you actually follow the whole circle of the top of the pot type of thing.

This is were you decide what you want. Do you want a single prize cola with lots of smaller buds and popcorn? Or are you willing to sacrifice some size on the main to boost production elsewhere? Some people love big colas and grow them that way specifically. I prefer to sacrifice the 'prize' cola for the prize yield. You can have both, but it will be a tree.

If you're looking for a QP and leave her as is, be prepared to veg her a lot longer, and be prepared for an 8ft monster. Looking at your fence, I'm thinking you want to keep her low?

Topping her will help the lower sites get up to canopy height and they will become good producers because, well, they are part of the canopy getting light, not shaded by one main top.

LST does a similar thing, except you don't have to cut the main stem. Bending it over tells the plant it's in distress. The top is lower than than other sites, plus there are now the side branches fully exposed to light. The plant reacts by putting more energy into the side shoots to make them main stems. Yes, It's going to bush it out some. Tying her down will help with keeping her from peeking over your roof.

Reading and studying BD, my plan was to top it to get about 6 mains then let it go. BD is can be a really tall strain (look up SUBLBC and his BD grows, not here on 420mag). When it starts putting weight on the buds, the stems will 'flay out' a bit. Exposing sun to the inner areas. But I'm not as concerned with height where I am.

You don't need to circle. Relax and have fun. Remember that it's just a weed. If you give it what it needs, genetics will take care of the rest. Have fun with her. Tie her down. Bend that biatch over. BUT... do it carefully. Over the next couple days. It looks like she already has a pretty stout stem so bend a little at a time. Come back or have your friend pull down a little more every 4 or 6 hours. Not a lot, you don't want to snap her neck. But yes, Eventually you can release her bonds and let the top go. It will be off to the side, but will still be there.

I gotta stop rambling for now. I have a lunch I have to be at shortly. I'll be back later.

Well you've gave me more insight on this THANK YOU THANK YOU

So I will be topping her along with a little tie-ing down. Made me 100% sure on this when you told me that her lower sites will catch up to the top because that's what I want.

It's going to be getting in the mid 60s out here in the next month so I'm going to move her inside under some lights maybe around mid October(just depends on the temps) let her veg a little more and then start flowering. so I don't think I want her any taller than 5ft. What can I do to keep her around that height because I've read that sativa's are tree monsters!

Also with all the setbacks made on this grow and all the new details to way & place I will grow this plant, I've lowered my target yeild to 2OZs, and I'm going more with Quality than Quantity :yummy:

Well you've gave me more insight on this THANK YOU THANK YOU

So I will be topping her along with a little tie-ing down. Made me 100% sure on this when you told me that her lower sites will catch up to the top because that's what I want.

It's going to be getting in the mid 60s out here in the next month so I'm going to move her inside under some lights maybe around mid October(just depends on the temps) let her veg a little more and then start flowering. so I don't think I want her any taller than 5ft. What can I do to keep her around that height because I've read that sativa's are tree monsters!

Also with all the setbacks made on this grow and all the research I've been doing on the grow, I've lowered my target yeild to 2OZs, and I'm going more with Quality than Quantity :yummy:

To keep her low, you can keep tying down her branches I believe Are you flowering inside then? If so, you can try and scrog her to keep the canopy even and veg until she's a little more than 1/2 the height you want to max her out at harvest. Heirloom will correct if I'm wrong. So I'd wait for his response. I'm still noobish and trying my own little experimentation with training. :)

Hi WestBlunts,

Glad to see that you are trying different ways of making your lady grow!

Just a quick side note, as I noticed your location, if you keep your lady outside, she is going to flower!

We have been in flower season in this area for over 2 months now.

Do you take her in at night and keep light on her?

Again I am not that far from your area and this is my ladies!

GROUP1_9512.JPG

As Heirloom put it, follow the wise words of jandre2k3, OldMedMan and Heirloom and you will get far! OMM is someone I watched a lot when I first strarted here! Also check out 420fied, he is a wiz at cloning and Hempy grows!

:Namaste:

Yes I will be flowering her inside Bro.

& you correct me if I'm wrong Ahaa but The scrog method is when you keep pushing the main cola under the screen until it finds it way back above the screen and repeat right?

And noob or not, as long as the info is accurate, your newness to growing is irrelevant.:thumb:

Yes I will be flowering her inside Bro.

& you correct me if I'm wrong Ahaa but The scrog method is when you keep pushing the main cola under the screen until it finds it way back above the screen and repeat right?

And noob or not, as long as the info is accurate, your newness to growing is irrelevant.:thumb:

Pretty much. When you LST, you'll potentially have multiple big colas and the screen helps to keep them spread and also allows you to keep the canopy more even for better light distribution, so they're not fighting for light. Plus you can keep all the undergrowth trimmed so the plant focuses its energy on growing only those colas. My understanding at least. I'm about a week away from putting my screen up. I'm growing both indica dom and sativa dom hybrids, but have limited head room in my box. This will help me keep everything under better control and not have my sativa shadowing the indica. :)

Hi WestBlunts,

Glad to see that you are trying different ways of making your lady grow!

Just a quick side note, as I noticed your location, if you keep your lady outside, she is going to flower!

We have been in flower season in this area for over 2 months now.

Do you take her in at night and keep light on her?

Again I am not that far from your area and this is my ladies!

GROUP1_9512.JPG

As Heirloom put it, follow the wise words of jandre2k3, OldMedMan and Heirloom and you will get far! OMM is someone I watched a lot when I first strarted here! Also check out 420fied, he is a wiz at cloning and Hempy grows!

You plants are Gorgeous, but no I just leave her outside 24/7 she's been outside for a while now and I don't think she has started flowering because she is just so underdeveloped.

When growing from seed, it's a lot like growing 12/12 indoors. She will do the necessary veg and then go into flowering mode.

With the outdoors, nature is telling her "it's time to flower and reproduce" by the time the cooler temps come and you move her indoors to veg lighting schedule, it could stress her and cause it to herm.

Is this a Fem seed?

His location was something I remembered after I left. Made a mental note to mention it. Thanks TruthSeeker420.

Edit: I live many miles south of you but we see the same light period. Trust me bro, like TruthSeeker420 said, we are 2 months in and she's starting to feel frisky. I see classic spiral node structure just starting in mine and she's been outdoors 24/7 now for 2 1/2 weeks. Right now our Sun up time (rise to set) is damn close to 12 hours, actually 12 hours 15 minutes.

I am literally a neighboring town to him.

This is how I know that they have the exact same lighting as I have now.

Also, I use sunrisesunset.com for my areas exact timing of light.

Thanks for the link. I use Gaisma.com . It looks hoke on the home page, but once you give it your location of choice, it has a ton of useful data and charts. Check it out. You won't be sorry :) It helped me plan my next year in advance. I know week by week, day by day what my electric light usage needs to be to supplement the lack of Sun. I'm doing GLR using the Sun and lights. Also makes budgeting for electric bills (and more grow toys!) easier!

When growing from seed, it's a lot like growing 12/12 indoors. She will do the necessary veg and then go into flowering mode.

With the outdoors, nature is telling her "it's time to flower and reproduce" by the time the cooler temps come and you move her indoors to veg lighting schedule, it could stress her and cause it to herm.

Is this a Fem seed?

Are you for reals??? I never knew she could herm up from doing that, well should I move her inside ASAP?

It was a bag seed from a OZ of Blue Dream I got, and she seems female so far, no signs at all of male-ness

His location was something I remembered after I left. Made a mental note to mention it. Thanks TruthSeeker420.

Edit: I live many miles south of you but we see the same light period. Trust me bro, like TruthSeeker420 said, we are 2 months in and she's starting to feel frisky. I see classic spiral node structure just starting in mine and she's been outdoors 24/7 now for 2 1/2 weeks. Right now our Sun up time (rise to set) is damn close to 12 hours, actually 12 hours 15 minutes.

When you say spiral node structure do you mean the side branches on each node is literally starting to spiral? Because that's what my plant is doing? Does this mean she's about to flower?

Hi WestBlunts :high-five:

First get that girl inside.......hope it's not too late and she is thinking about flowering already. A very good chance of that already. Someone said there is a good chance of her hermieing once taking her inside and that's very true.

So it's your call.

1, Take her indoors and put her under 12/12 lights and continue to let her flower.

2. Take her indoors and set the lights to 20/4 or 24 all the time and see if she will veg some more. This the more risky path.

Here are a couple of explanations of Topping and LST. So you can see the difference. I'm a visual learner so I like to see what I'm talking about.

Topping31.jpg

LST36.jpg
LST36.jpg
LST36.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hi WestBlunts :high-five:

First get that girl inside.......hope it's not too late and she is thinking about flowering already. A very good chance of that already. Someone said there is a good chance of her hermieing once taking her inside and that's very true.

So it's your call.

1, Take her indoors and put her under 12/12 lights and continue to let her flower.

2. Take her indoors and set the lights to 20/4 or 24 all the time and see if she will veg some more. This the more risky path.

Here are a couple of explanations of Topping and LST. So you can see the difference. I'm a visual learner so I like to see what I'm talking about.

Topping31.jpg

LST36.jpg
LST36.jpg
LST36.jpg

Hope this helps.

Well I'll post some up lose pics to let you guys tell me if she's preflowering or anything already, but I know she damn well doesn't have any actual flowers yet.

Thanks for the diagram I've seen this a couple times :thumb: A visual and words really are better like you said.

I've decided to top her once & if I still can leave her in veg until about 2 to 2.5 feet to let the sides catch up to the canopy, and so the the actual top cut matures. So I'm thinking no more than another month once I do move her under lights, then switch her to vegg?

Man o Man I wish I could upload these pictures I'm looking at right here on my cell phone(that's deactivated so I can't send the pics to my email, and that has no memory card so I can't transfer them) Her inner bush has tripled! And she grown another inch or two in Height :thumb:

I'm proud of the progress, and of my first grow. You guys might be too!

By the 'spiral' I don't mean smooth and rounded like a cork screw. Hard to explain in words for me. Ummm. Dissect a bud down to bare stem and look at it. Each new node shoots out at an angle compared to the last, where in veg it is FAR less pronounced and the stems look straight. Anyhow, it sort of creates a rough spiral, unless it was trained different.

Hopefully I'm not out on a limb here. It's a fascinating change in structure that I have not seen people comment on.

By the 'spiral' I don't mean smooth and rounded like a cork screw. Hard to explain in words for me. Ummm. Dissect a bud down to bare stem and look at it. Each new node shoots out at an angle compared to the last, where in veg it is FAR less pronounced and the stems look straight. Anyhow, it sort of creates a rough spiral, unless it was trained different.

Hopefully I'm not out on a limb here. It's a fascinating change in structure that I have not seen people comment on.

Well I'll try to get some pictures up so we can diagnose this :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom