What’s a 4finger Lid

Stardustnchance

420 Member
In the 60s not everyone had a counter weight , therefore a sandwich bag with the volume of 4 fingers as the bag was held from the top. Try a triple beam and bag it up and let me know.! sardine can is wacked but some other country who knows.

It is considered to be 'a heavy ounce'.
Or, much more than an ounce.

It's a guess ... scales were proof of possession for sale. An extra 5 years. (In California in the 60's when I was a kid). So, if you were to weigh it (and nobody did) it would prolly weigh 1.3 to 1.5 oz.*

* Including the weight of the seeds and stems.

A lid is a baggie filled to the bottom lip of the baggie. We didn't go by weight at all back then.
A nickle bag was one of those little yellow change envelopes full. So a nickle bag $5 worth was a good 5 grams at least. A lid was $15 - $25 depending on how good it was. I'd say a lid weighed over an oz.

In Oz in the late 70s the standard deal was a 3 finger bag. ($30) Not all head though, leaf and stem mixed in. Used to get the odd thai stick $10 to 15.

Before digital scales etc.. We had to come up with some type of quick and "universal" way to measure the quaintly of what is being bought. Using the width of the finger was because everyone had fingers. 1 finger width per 1/4 oz. I used to use cardboard match boxes also. Matchbox full of weed with 3 matches and 3 papers for $5.

Has anyone used a Prince Albert can lid to measure close to an ounce of weed? Or a sardine can. Or tried afgani black magic Hash or Lebanese red instead of the standard blonde

A lid I used to just measure as 3 fingers.
Never actually use a Prince Albert lid.

Have had all the above hash.
Blonde and red Lebanese
Black primo, Afghani
Temple Balls
Elephant ear
Moroccan Ketama

All in the 1970s
Only hash I've had since 1979 was about 2010 I had some hash made in California from Blueberry.
Was meh, not even remotely as good as any of the hash from the 70s.

That’s what the strains are missing. Haven’t seen a Thai stick since 75
yes. All they sell around here now is hybrid strains of grass, havent seen actual Thai sticks or hash since the 80s. Spoke to a couple of younger stoners a little while ago and they didnt even know what hash was.

In Oz in the late 70s the standard deal was a 3 finger bag. ($30) Not all head though, leaf and stem mixed in. Used to get the odd thai stick $10 to 15.
Yeah, In the late 70's weed prices started going up & the bags got smaller. But it also seems like the weed got greener with more solid buds. It wasn't the Colombian Gold, Red Bud stuff that was around in the early 70's. We loved the new weed but bitched because the bags got smaller & cost more ... lol. And how much would that lid go for today ?
Only got my hands on Thai a couple times & the Hawaiian Stuff in the Tin Can only once.
We use to get a lot of Afghan Hash that had the stamped Hash Block. It had a pic of a Machine Gun & said Afghanistan Kills Russia on it & came wrapped in Gold Foil. Good old days for sure !

Before digital scales etc.. We had to come up with some type of quick and "universal" way to measure the quaintly of what is being bought. Using the width of the finger was because everyone had fingers. 1 finger width per 1/4 oz. I used to use cardboard match boxes also. Matchbox full of weed with 3 matches and 3 papers for $5.
Buy a match box in the joint & it's a pinner for $10. Probably $20 by now. That was over 20 years ago.

Speaking of has I helped a buddy move a full size mattress, one morning after we got off work. Wondered why it took 4 guys to lift it and found out it was stiffed full of Blonde Lebanese hash:eek: Unloaded mattress helped them break it down into "retail" size packages of 1 kilo or less. Smoked has all day:hookah:and then got an elbow for my efforts. Good times:smokin:

Back in the lat 60’s pot was sold by 4 fingers up to a baggie. ( you always wanted the guy with the bigger fingers selling you a 4 finger lid). Then you hit a dry spell and it went down to a 3 finger lids. And finally somebody decided to weigh it with the “triple beam scale”. The dry spells occurred for several reasons, but mainly the crop from the previous year ran out.

It is considered to be 'a heavy ounce'.
Or, much more than an ounce.

It's a guess ... scales were proof of possession for sale. An extra 5 years. (In California in the 60's when I was a kid). So, if you were to weigh it (and nobody did) it would prolly weigh 1.3 to 1.5 oz.*

If we needed to weigh a quantity and scales (always triple beam) weren't handy, and it wasn't... during school hours (science department was full of the things :rolleyes: ), we headed to the post office downtown and used the ones bolted to the big table in the lobby :rofl: .

Bunch of early to late teenagers walking into the PO, already at least half lit, carrying bud (...etc.) and baggies. It's a wonder any of us made it to adulthood without getting locked up. Most of us did, though, go figure. Four blocks from the police station, they couldn't have been that clueless. Used to laugh like we'd just seen the funniest thing in the universe every time one drove by, heading to/from their base. Getting dirty looks from most everybody in there for acting like clowns. Except for Herbie, he was more like a glazed donut ;). I couldn't even guess at how many times we'd be halfway to the next destination and someone would say, "Hey, we forgot Herbie again." Back to the PO. Sometimes he'd be outside waiting for us, other times he'd still be inside, spaced the **** out. We never prevented anyone from doing their business there, though. Even helped an old person occasionally. Might have had to say, "Excuse me, that's mine," once or twice. Herbie wasn't the only thing that sometimes got left behind.

A lid was an ounce. If it came from someone else (instead of going out), and the person who'd bought it then added, "a four-finger lid," we'd all laugh. You get pretty proficient at judging weight - as I'm sure everyone in the audience knows - so you'd never get ripped off. In other words, if the person selling the lid didn't have scales, and you took the deal, it was ALWAYS heavy.

A lot of times, childhood sucked. But it had its moments. . . .

Back
Top Bottom