What about the soil?

Do you ever reuse your soil?

• I reuse my soil whenever I can!

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • I never reuse my soil! Are you kidding me?

Votes: 58 54.2%
  • Sometimes I reuse my soil.

Votes: 24 22.4%

• Total voters
My old soil goes into the compost with all the veggie and fruit scraps, egg shells and yard waste. I have a two chamber compost bin that gets turned daily. I've grown some massive tomato plants in used soil. Never thought about salt build up. Maybe the sand hill I live on is just excited to see real soil. But after reading Moose's reply, all used soil will go into the outside garden.

My Best Friend is really big on re-using soil in The Garden.. I just throw it on the hill.. I would never EVER re - use it for Marijuana! NEVER!!!

We recycle most of the time. With proper additives and nutrients, (be sure to use your soil testing kits) most problems can be eliminated or kept to a bare minimum. There are times for throwing out the old and bringing in the new, or adding new when your levels are down. One could go anyway you want, but good herbalists will try and get the most from their soil with the minimum expense.

Good Luck! :smokin:

Interesting to see how many experienced growers reuse the soil, I would have never thought too.

Here's something that's been bothering me as a gearing up grower. I plan to grow in Promix, and to my understanding it's not recommended that you re-use. I have no problems with this. But where, as an apartment grower, does one dispose of 10 gallons of used promix at a time?

Grow some flowers or veggies on your patio. Great cover.

Here's something that's been bothering me as a gearing up grower. I plan to grow in Promix, and to my understanding it's not recommended that you re-use. I have no problems with this. But where, as an apartment grower, does one dispose of 10 gallons of used promix at a time?

I live in an apartment complex with over 400 people living in it. I have a lot of tomato plants in individual containers strewn all about the railing of my balcony along with some cucumber (yes im growing cucumber on the railing of my balcony!) and I'm also having success with green, yellow, and red bell peppers!

So growing veggies on your patio/balcony/windows could fool your neighbors into thinking that you grow nothing else.

HELL, if you are paranoid about being seen throwing away so much soil, just put it in garbage bags and take a little out at a time.

i would NEVER re-use my soil... the bacteria and pests that u might have in the soil isnt worth flushing it... i'd just use NEW soil :D

In a VEG Garden is cool but to go into flowering w/ a chance of missing NUTES or Salt build up's can create to many issues to possibly chace for me!!! A bail of Sunshine #4 is only $39.00 and can save you a lot of headaches IMO...

Good Luck GL

If you live in an apartment complex and want to dump your old soil, and have a cat. Believe me, mix it with the out going cat litter, no one wants to look in that bag.!!! :thedoubletake:

no soil has left my garden in 5+ yrs.... every bit of it is recycled.... But i also grow organic so there is not much buildup in the soil....
If you throw out soil you are just throwing away your money... You can make it better every time

The definition of organic depends on your focus, but some define it as of, relating to or derived from living organisms. The chemist’s version uses the word to designate carbon compounds and that also plays into our garden. But what do most people think of when you say organic? Another definition is simple, healthful, close to nature. Sure, that part fits too. Yet another definition is constituting an integral part of a whole. Hmmm

Salts are a common and natural constituent of all soils. Normally, these salts are present in low amounts in topsoil and plant growth is not affected. Accumulation of salts, through natural means or man's activities, can cause plant growth problems and result in poor growth or death of plants.

Salts can accumulate to high levels in field soils that are located in low lying and poorly drained areas. A white saltcrust on the soil surface often becomes evident when these soils dry out. Avoid purchasing topsoil from such areas for use in the garden or flower bed.

Salts can also accumulate in soil through improper care and management practices. Excessive fertilization or watering with high salt-containing waters are two of the most common ways of causing or aggravating an existing salt problem in soil. Analyze the salt content of well water before using it as an irrigation water source. It is also possible to induce a salinity problem through very heavy additions of soil amendments that have high salt content, e.g., manure, gypsum.

Salts are a permanent constituent of soil. Once the salts have accumulated in a soil, there is no chemical treatment that will remove or counteract their adverse effects on plant growth. Special management practices become necessary in order to successfully grow plants on soils with high salt content.

My definition is a natural well maintained product (To me w/ Nutes as long as well flushes are done prior to harvest nutes are not a concern, a lot of products are not even OMRI certified) ... Even though organic growing can consist of possible lower salt build ups... I feel a fresh soil change is a must when it comes to crops... I just feel that lost of natural minerals that may have been taken along w/ build ups can be handled w/ a simple soil swap w/o the jeopardy of compromising the crops... I guess if it works for you great yet for someone who has not been boosting soil w/ a good knowledge such as yourself a soil swap would be best...

Well Good Luck to All

GL1

I have tried reusing and just planting in fresh soil but what I found is that if you reuse without the proper amount of nitrogen added you can really compromise the toxicity of your new plant(s) regardless of the strain!

I always reuse soils in many different areas,by building up the rest of the outdoor gardens, and or adding it to the one of 4 compost areas for further use. But, never using od soil mixes to start or veg in. The bananas and papays love the left overs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom