What actually happens above the super crop pinch site?

Six9

So what actually happens to the stem and any growth above the pinch site? If done right, in general does it keep its health? Does the growth lay down at first then point towards the light? Does the stem repair and start an upward path or just lay down above the pinch site? If in early flower with buds forming, does their progress continue or halt? An answer to all or most questions gets rep and a thousand thanks.

Trying to bring three stretched colas back to canopy height about eight inches lower, trying to determine pinch site I guess.

If done right, in general does it keep its health? Yes. It will remain healthy as long as it's done right (and even sometimes if it isn't)

Does the growth lay down at first then point towards the light? Yes. Above the pinch site, the plant should be close to horizontal to get the best results. It could take anywhere from two hours to a day or two for the pinched part of the plant to start turning back up towards the light.

Does the stem repair and start an upward path or just lay down above the pinch site? It depends on the strain. Some strains, you will need to be more gentle with because super cropping could break their inner stem layers and the branch might get stuck below the canopy because it took too long to pop back up. On the other hand, some strains might be very tough and hard to pinch properly, making it so they pop straight back up and continue growing as they were. I would start by assuming they are very fragile. Pinch two or three (I like to twist them about 90degrees while I'm bending them down so the frayed stem stays in tact better) very carefully, and see how they react in 12 or 24 hours, then based off the results of that, you should get a good idea of how much pressure you should be applying for your specific plants.

If in early flower with buds forming, does their progress continue or halt? Hard to say. I would think it continues growth. Maybe a little stress involved, but I've only seen increased weight with super cropping so I don't think it has that great of an effect, and if it does stall growth a little, then it's completely worth it.

Many thanks for detailed responses to each question. Two leggy sativas towering eight inches over same seed batch sisters, I hadn't planned needing to do this but I also ignored those who said I should grow white widow first!

It's been a great ride though, the stretch caught me but I think this fix is needed. All healthy with popcorn hair bunches forming uniformly. Matching height of shorter girls should get me through flower. Thanks again rep!

No problem. I should probably have added that it's better to get the supper cropping out the way in the first three weeks of bloom. If you supper crop after that, it won't have the same effect as if you do it during stretch or early bloom.

Thanks I read where it's best to do anything essentially in the first three weeks. lol they grew out of my closet and into a very nice tent. Big plus I was able to rig my 6x16 carbon filter and more lighting.

I bend to their will daily. The least they can do is bend to mine once. Okay twice including harvest :)

Every stem gave willingly, felt like just the right amount of damage. I can let both girls breathe now, should get me through flower. Here's to hoping they grow well together.

New 180w equiv UFOs directly over patients and pleny of 900w Mars II above. Love this tent, just a 4 x 4 but much better than a closet!

Pinch sites and all growth look healthy, leaves and buds already twisted towards the light. Big heavy fan leaves and stems weighing the branch well past a 90 degree angle so I offered some support. I imagine the growth will realign once again towards the light.

Recommend keeping support until a knuckle forms and branches hold their own?

Update.. the main colas pointed up from their corner resting spots, healed the site with a knuckle and continued flowering. Inner sites saw the light and got busy too. I have 8 weeks of flowering left so little healthy buds sound great right now

Back
Top Bottom